55 replies to this topic

#1 Mike2077

Mike2077

Dirty Rodent

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 03:32 PM

Ok I've done a bunch of research and looked at countless reviews and heres what I came up with with my budget of 2500 bucks.

List

I'm hesitant to go wireless so I'll test it out first and then if it is horrible I'll try and wire it up. I'd like to overclock the e6600 a bit which is why I got so many fans, some of them are just to have lying around just in case. Better to be cautious :grin: .

Raptor for OS/ games, seagate for movies, music etc. It's gonna be used mostly for games. Lemme know what you guys think.

#2 Mandraque

Mandraque

Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 03:49 PM

WAY TO MANY FANS. get some watercooling. idk about that sound card. Does speakers are fukin gimp. 70 watts lol.

your getting 11 extra fans? wtf! coller for the chipset.....lol

#3 The Drizzle

The Drizzle

Who is the drizzle?

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 03:51 PM

Thats prob one of the nicest rigs Ive seen yet. The only few things I can reccomend, is a x1950XTX instead, I think they are similarly priced, and just that much better.

Also, That chipset fan is not necessary, unless you read somewhere that that chipset/motherboard needs a better heatsink. Maybe just toss a fan on the exisitng heatsink?

The cpu cooler isnt one Id pick, Id go with Zalman

Do you really need a new router? Especially that one? It has gigabit ethernet which is good, but I think its overpriced. If you have alot of other comps on the network with gigabit and are going to be doing alot of file transfers and whatnot, its worth it, but 10/100 does jsut fine for me. Besides you wont come close to maxing out 10/100 with an internet connection. Wireless is t3h suck for games, high latency ftl.

What are all those cables/extensions etc for? I wouldnt buy EVERYTHING from newegg, especially the smaller stuff. Shop around, you will find better prices at good places, especially with the shipping.

EDIT: I have those speakers. For $50, you cant get much better. And yes you dont need that many fans lol

Edited by Drizzle4535, 06 January 2007 - 03:52 PM.

#4 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 03:53 PM

DON'T go wireless. You don't want to put that kind of pain on yourself.

#5 Novahawk

Novahawk

Beast

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 04:09 PM

Btw, that mobo is out of stock lol...

#6 Mike2077

Mike2077

Dirty Rodent

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 04:42 PM

LOL a lot of stuff is out of stock and some of that sh*t is just there cuz i forgot to delete it. I'm gonna shop around before I order, duh. Yea I'll cut some fans but a lot of reviews say the northbridge runs hot on the ds3; why not cool it some more, but im not watercooling on my first rig I'd probably f*ck it up lol. Who doesn't need a spare 15ft usb cable lying around?

I really don't want to go wireless either but running a cord through the attic/crawl space and around doesn't look appealing. Gamefuel ftw? Maybe monster can elaborate on the routers performance.

Edited by Mike2077, 06 January 2007 - 04:45 PM.

#7 Janton

Janton

Combine Soldier

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 04:46 PM

You have a budget of 2500 Dollars and your getting an NZXT case? What with you crazy rich kids these days. I'm ok with fans but why are you getting like 4 different brands? Chris is actually right, just buy a really long Ethernet cord and f*ck wireless, cheaper, better, and when your wife walks by with a phone you keep your connection. Still a good setup though I would go with the 1950xtx for few extra $$$ I'm going to have to say something about the mouse as well. Every "gamer" feels that that is the best mouse ever made, when personally, I use a 20 Dollar Rosewill mouse (2000 DPI + 3 Extra buttons & DPI controller) that is way more comfortable, yes I know it's an opinion guys, but I just had to say it...I love my mouse. CORSAIR PSU'S f*cking ROCK!!!!! Good Choice

(Hey guys my wife bought me 2 gallons of mint chocolate chip ice cream, this i my 8th sugar cone full)

#8 Mike2077

Mike2077

Dirty Rodent

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 04:48 PM

lol what case would you go with? and what's wrong with that case? It only seems like a lot cuz I gotta buy a monitor/hard drives

Again with the fans, I get it too many don't worry about that just the meat n bones.

Edited by Mike2077, 06 January 2007 - 04:49 PM.

#9 Mandraque

Mandraque

Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 04:56 PM

you can get a way better case for a $2500 rig. Get another motherboard and save the money for the chipset heatsink. Yea and if your not getting good fukin speakers a cheaper soundcard will do.

#10 onyx

onyx

Journeyman

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 06:07 PM

you don't need that much cooling

them fancy core2's run nice and cool to begin with

with 2500 bucks, my list would look real different - starting with an 8800 GPU

#11 Mike2077

Mike2077

Dirty Rodent

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 12:37 AM

Yea I wanna spend 500 dollars on the first dx10 card out there. I'll wait a couple years.

Why would i spend more than 70 bucks on a case?

It's got great reviews so what's the problem.

A few fans are just to have if others fail or I can put some of em in this one since the ones in it suck.

Any recommended speakers then?

And what's wrong with the mobo.

Edited by Mike2077, 07 January 2007 - 02:20 AM.

#12 Janton

Janton

Combine Soldier

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 03:49 AM

Honest to god, I have a 10 year old who's daddy was going to buy him w/e computer he wanted. He sat next to me and pointed. EWW!! THAT VIDEO CARD IS RED GET IT! But...GET IT! He saw that case, loved it, and now I'm slowly dieing, I built this computer in what felt like a wet piece of tin foil after you've baked potatoes in it. Hell, it doesn't even transfer heat like a cheapy case should, it just cooks it until dinner is ready. So please, I beg of you, spend 54 dollars and get the Rosewill case with a side window, I got one for my sun and it is gorgeous. 2 x 80MM's blowing on your drivers, a duct, and an 80mm in the back for decent cooling and SILENCE.

#13 *CHILIDOG*

*CHILIDOG*

BoSS Fantasy Football 2010 Champ

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 04:23 AM

For the money those speakers are not that bad. I have the same ones. Oh and I also have almost the exact same mouse (mines blue). You shoulda got the mouse i posted earlier today, though, it was cheaper AND 2000 dpi. Basically the next step up from the Diamondback. Saitek keyboards pwn ass btw. I'd look into it if I were you. That monitor is teh sex as well. Viewsonic is very dependable. Also like everyone else said: DONT GO WIRELESS. It will break ur heart. Damn that's going to be an noisy ass hot ass comp!

#14 monster

monster

You live on pen island

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 04:34 AM

I really don't want to go wireless either but running a cord through the attic/crawl space and around doesn't look appealing. Gamefuel ftw? Maybe monster can elaborate on the routers performance.

That router has wicked QOS (Quality of Service).

If you play games and also:

share your connection
download p2p
VOIP

then, well, the reviews speak for themselves. This router kicks ass. If you are the only dude on your connection, and you don't download stuff, then you might want to consider a cheaper router, because this one is not cheap.

Wireless is ok if you setup mac filtering, if your nics are up to date, take advantage of the gigabit wired switch, but otherwise, 54mbit wireless (for the most part) is ok...

Not one to b*tch, but don't forget that the case and power supply are important too........

Edited by monster, 07 January 2007 - 04:39 AM.

#15 Mandraque

Mandraque

Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 08:35 AM

my thing with the speakers, i like em really loud......so 70 watts, not that much. For a 5.1 i found these that are a definite step up. 4 times the watts for the sub.
Link

#16 *CHILIDOG*

*CHILIDOG*

BoSS Fantasy Football 2010 Champ

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 12:48 PM

the problem is that those are so much more expensive. Basically with speakers you get what you pay for...

#17 medel

medel

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 12:50 PM

If you get a good OCing week of the 6600 it can max out the ds3. Loads of people either go for a dq6, or if you are willing to deal with initial setup issues, a 680i based mobo.
As stated above, might as well get a 1950xtx or an 8800 series. the 1900's are waaaay overpriced now since they aren't making the xtx's anymore.
I forget what that memory is supposed to max out at, and my internet here SUCKS so I don't feel like digging it up. :D

No matter what it should be a smokin build!

*edit* look into a different cooler than the big typhoon. Maybe a Tuniq Tower or a Scythe Infinity?

Edited by medel, 07 January 2007 - 01:20 PM.

#18 Iceman

Iceman

Combine Soldier

• Banned
  • 178 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 01:15 PM

You can do better on the sound card, this one also does DDL > http://www.newegg.co...N82E16829127001

As far as the cooling situation goes, Conroes will run much much cooler than AMDs, if you're going to OC more than just a little, then all you need is an aftermarket cooler. I don't know of what is and isn't good right now, but with a search for "e6600 cooling" or "overclock e6600" I'm sure you'll fine quite a few good reads.

If you need a router, go with something like the Linksys WRT54G for <$50. When you buy your cooler, it should come with thermal compound (double check that before you buy extra).

Here's another suggestion for the mouse: http://www.buy.com/r...p?sku=201935175

If you haven't tried the G7 yet, head over to compusa or bestbuy and get a feel for it.

Edited by Iceman, 07 January 2007 - 02:28 PM.

#19 Mike2077

Mike2077

Dirty Rodent

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 04:29 PM

Ok I upgraded to the 1950, zalman cpu cooler and better speakers.
List

Recommended cases welcome. :>.<:

#20 Janton

Janton

Combine Soldier

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 06:06 PM

Thermaltake Tsunami

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users