7 replies to this topic

#1 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 01:52 AM

Alright so I got my new PC parts up and running. It runs great and I love having all this RAM and two processor cores.

However of the 30+ times I've rebooted after installing software tonight, a few reboots ago I attempted to overclock the processor to 3.2GHz (from the stock 2.6GHz) without changing the voltage. Open exiting the bios/restarting, my computer did not boot. I proceeded to shit my pants and reset the cmos. I'm not going to overclock for now, but...

Is it because I didn't up the CPU voltage? I'm also looking at this cooler to provide better cooling and perhaps be able to overclock more.

#2 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 02:30 AM

Alright so I got my new PC parts up and running. It runs great and I love having all this RAM and two processor cores.

However of the 30+ times I've rebooted after installing software tonight, a few reboots ago I attempted to overclock the processor to 3.2GHz (from the stock 2.6GHz) without changing the voltage. Open exiting the bios/restarting, my computer did not boot. I proceeded to sh*t my pants and reset the cmos. I'm not going to overclock for now, but...

Is it because I didn't up the CPU voltage? I'm also looking at this cooler to provide better cooling and perhaps be able to overclock more.

Please tell me you did not overclock the processor straight to 3.2 ghz? Before you even THINK about overclocking. You need wait for the thermal compound to set, this normally takes 24-48 hours. Then you can start overclocking.

When you do overclock here are some tips:

- Small increments, bump it up a small bit, let it run, see how stable it is, play games, etc. Never ever go large leaps, you will get to a point that will bite you in the ass

- Memory dividers, at one point your memory is going to be your bottleneck, downclock that sh*t to imprvoe your overclocking headroom

- Hypertransit multiplier, as you overclock your FSB you overclock your HTT. This is a VERY sensitive pipeline, it does not like going out of it's set speed at all. Choose a HTT frequency of 4x, I sometimes go 3x, shouldnt notice too big of a hit doing this, but only as a last resort

- Monitor your temps, for that particular processor, 60 C should be the highest you allow it, can go farther, but you are running the borderline there.

- Voltage, I normally only bump this if the gain is worthwhile, if you gain a 100mhz from a voltage increase put it back down and not worry about it, as the risk/gain is not there. I dont recommend going very high with this at all, will have to look to see what the safe voltage increase of it should be. Bad thing is, if you go to high, your processor goes poof, no refund, do not pass go, do not collect 200$.

Edited by Scroll_Lock88, 05 January 2008 - 02:35 AM.

#3 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 02:36 AM

Please tell me you did not overclock the processor straight to 3.2 ghz?

If I say that I did, will you strike me?

But ok, I'll fuck with it in a few days then.

#4 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 02:37 AM

fail.

#5 Novahawk

Novahawk

Beast

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 09:41 AM

Lol yeah, you shouldn't jump with increments that large, plus for that big of a jump you probably do need to up the voltage a little.

I have been going with about 200mhz jumps with my e6600, and haven't run into any problems except for when i tried a random clock speed in the beginning that was not a round number, my bios warned me that it was running in safe mode since the clocks were not set properly. I'm guessing the fsb:ram ratio was messed up because the fsb was set at a random number (ie 272 or something), so it doesn't like that.

Right now I'm running at a 1600 QDR (400 fsb) with a 7x multiplier for just regular usage (2.8ghz) and an 8x multiplier (3.2ghz) for benching and whatnot, plus i have the ram linked/synched so its at a 1:1 ratio. (btw my multiplier is locked at 9 :?: )

If i had a nice cooler (zalman 9500) I would go for 3.6 or maybe 3.8, but i dont have any $ right now to spend on any computer parts.

Oh by the way, if you raise the voltage do it by no more than .025 at a time. Also that cooler is pretty nice, but if you want to spend $9 more go for this one: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835118004

Plus it'll match your case :dork: lol

Edit: Oh and if you do decide to get the one i posted, make sure it'll fit you your case first, because its pretty big.

Edited by Novahawk, 05 January 2008 - 09:43 AM.

#6 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 10:47 AM

Lol yeah, you shouldn't jump with increments that large, plus for that big of a jump you probably do need to up the voltage a little.

I have been going with about 200mhz jumps with my e6600, and haven't run into any problems except for when i tried a random clock speed in the beginning that was not a round number, my bios warned me that it was running in safe mode since the clocks were not set properly. I'm guessing the fsb:ram ratio was messed up because the fsb was set at a random number (ie 272 or something), so it doesn't like that.

Right now I'm running at a 1600 QDR (400 fsb) with a 7x multiplier for just regular usage (2.8ghz) and an 8x multiplier (3.2ghz) for benching and whatnot, plus i have the ram linked/synched so its at a 1:1 ratio. (btw my multiplier is locked at 9 :?: )

If i had a nice cooler (zalman 9500) I would go for 3.6 or maybe 3.8, but i dont have any $ right now to spend on any computer parts.

Oh by the way, if you raise the voltage do it by no more than .025 at a time. Also that cooler is pretty nice, but if you want to spend $9 more go for this one: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835118004

Plus it'll match your case :dork: lol

Edit: Oh and if you do decide to get the one i posted, make sure it'll fit you your case first, because its pretty big.

The cooler chris linked doesnt support AM2 :D As for the size of the 9500, the only time you will have a problem with that cooler is if you have a micro case, a normal case will not have a problem running those types of coolers.

Also need to remember he is overclocking an AMD, multiplier overclocking is a non issue here as it's locked.

#7 Novahawk

Novahawk

Beast

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 10:52 AM

Oh yeah i didn't check to see if the one he posted supported AM2.

And i think you meant to say "unlocked" instead of "locked" :P

And yeah i know the black edition (which there is a 5000+ and a 6400+, plus a black edition phenom is coming out soon) has an unlocked multiplier, i was just saying that my multiplier was locked at 9 for the heck of it.

#8 .:Eu.PrYDe[rus]:.

.:Eu.PrYDe[rus]:.

Journeyman

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 10:57 AM

Totally agree with scroll because that's
exactly what i did im at 3.6Ghz now started from 2.8 and that was about 4 months ago.
Maybe i was a little slow with boosting it up but i think it doesnt worth risking the system which cost me alot of money!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users