Photo

Vista is still a buggy, PoS OS, correct?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Sticks

Mr. Sticks

Spam Master General

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 11:36 PM

I was just offered a computer that is significantly faster than mine, but it's running Windows Vista. I said I didn't want it because Vista is a buggy OS and it wont run any of the games I want it to properly. Is that still true, or has MoneySoft worked a little bit to make it a better OS?

Edited by Mr. Sticks, 06 January 2008 - 11:59 PM.

#2 monster

monster

You live on pen island

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 12:07 AM

I installed vista on my comp over the holidays. It performs a bit slower, not that much though, considering it looks and feels a lot smoother (more like mac's glorious OSX).

You will probably run into driver and software problems, usually nothing that can't be fixed though. I was able to find vista updates for everything from my mobo bios to kaspersky. I have everything that I had in my xp install running in vista smoothly..... 3dmark gave me a 10,020, a bit shy of my xp score, but not noticeably different to be honest.

I wasn't too excited about vista, but I wanted to make the switch so I could learn the ropes of it (easier to help people who have it). I like the look and feel of it a lot more, and there are some compatibility issues with some apps, but on the whole it's ok. I wouldn't reccomend buying it to anybody, but if your new computer comes with it, go for it.

*note* I played a few games (tf2, crysis) and they worked fine, not a single issue.

#3 Frag0holic

Frag0holic

I AM DEATH INCARNATE

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 12:59 AM

Stay away from it. I've had it for a good while on my laptop and it's given me nothing but problems.
The visual effects are the only upside, but they cause lag and a black hole in your RAM stick... I've had so many apps and games crap out on me, sometimes dealing irreversible damage to the core of Vista requiring reinstallation (which I am unable to do). Fuck!
Vista is the OS of random errors and unsolveable network problems. And btw MicroSoft: DX10 is a pile of shit!

They had better start shitting me Tiffany cufflinks at MS, or I will definately bust a nut!
WTB Epic service pack!

#4 monster

monster

You live on pen island

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 01:23 AM

Before this turns into a vista vs xp topic, you do know that you can always install xp on the new, faster computer, right? If you don't want vista, you can always just take the computer and put xp on it man.

#5 monster

monster

You live on pen island

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 01:40 AM

The visual effects are the only upside, but they cause lag and a black hole in your RAM stick.

Frag's right, I wouldn't recommend a vista comp that has less than 2gb of ram. Vista & all of your main apps (firewall, virus, etc) use up about 1gb, leaving you with 1gb for games & apps (plenty, all things considered). Just don't try to install vista with 1gb of ram.

#6 Mr. Sticks

Mr. Sticks

Spam Master General

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 09:04 AM

Before this turns into a vista vs xp topic, you do know that you can always install xp on the new, faster computer, right? If you don't want vista, you can always just take the computer and put xp on it man.

Yeah, and that's what it looks like I'm going to end up doing, I was just wondering.

Frag's right, I wouldn't recommend a vista comp that has less than 2gb of ram. Vista & all of your main apps (firewall, virus, etc) use up about 1gb, leaving you with 1gb for games & apps (plenty, all things considered). Just don't try to install vista with 1gb of ram.

All right.

#7 Frag0holic

Frag0holic

I AM DEATH INCARNATE

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 12:47 PM

Yeah I probably will end up making a partition and installing XP and shit... we'll see. Just don't feel like buying it.

#8 dar_tana

dar_tana

Death to the Infidels!

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 06:40 PM

Is Microsoft still letting stores sell XP because last I heard MS was forcing companies and stores to only sell Vista.

#9 Capt.John

Capt.John

Goofanacka

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 07:29 PM

I have had Vista for a couple of months, and I can honestly say that I have had no problems with it. I've been able to run all of my games perfectly with no bugs, glitches, or whatever.

#10 teslatroNN

teslatroNN

Lurker

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:08 PM

In my opinion, Vista > XP if you have a decent comp. As mentioned, it takes up about 1GB of RAM, but if your comp has like 4gb of RAM you are good to go. Be aware though, that 32-bit Vistas don't allow anything past 2GB RAM, so you better off having a 64-bit Vista. And of course DX10 rocks.

Edited by teslatroNN, 21 January 2008 - 09:09 PM.

#11 Novahawk

Novahawk

Beast

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:14 PM

I only have vista installed for DX10 stuff.. and today i loaded it up to play crysis and it made me cry... So I installed some updates last time i used it that needed a restart, so i load up today and its configuring updates before the login screen.. so it does that for about 7 minutes (there were 72 updates).. and then restarts again :kill:

After it loads up again it configures updates for another 2-3 minutes and finally lets me log in... I decide to install the latest nVidia drivers, and need a restart, but hey! there are more updates for me to install... So they install before shutting down then it loads up, configures updates, restarts, configures updates again, and then i can finally play...

It is by no means better than XP...

#12 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:18 PM

In my opinion, Vista > XP if you have a decent comp. As mentioned, it takes up about 1GB of RAM, but if your comp has like 4gb of RAM you are good to go. Be aware though, that 32-bit Vistas don't allow anything past 2GB RAM, so you better off having a 64-bit Vista. And of course DX10 rocks.

Yes, let's consume 1GB of RAM while idle for what...unnecessary security applications and a pretty UI? ATM, most 64-bit software is unstable and even harder to find drivers for, plus you're emulating 32-bit so you'll see slowdown there.

Spending money on a nice PC is justified by the performance you see out of that PC. Using Vista is like throwing some of that money away because it'll be wasted on the OS. DX10 has some nice graphical enhancements but DX10 can already be run on Windows XP. When you see more than 1 worthwhile fully DX10 game (i.e. one besides Crysis) then maybe the lazy assholes will actually finish the DX10 XP port.

#13 matthew0155

matthew0155

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 10:53 PM

ya the bullsh*t accept/block messages that bug your ass 3 times every 2 seconds is what turned me off, also it does consume lots of ram.... and it doesent even look that nice, not really any features that i like (made it more confusing if anything). I run an alienware skin to get rid of that ugly win xp blue and green/ silver crap. So back to the point so this doesent turn into a vista trashing post (which is a good idea) take the computer why not?

#14 Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster

Journeyman

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 01:29 AM

Mac OSX ftw?

I've had my MacBook for 3 weeks now and the only thing I use my PC for now is printing

#15 monster

monster

You live on pen island

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 08:57 AM

ya the bullsh*t accept/block messages that bug your ass 3 times every 2 seconds is what turned me off

You can disable that feature, it's not mandatory...

#16 matthew0155

matthew0155

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 01:47 PM

ya, but the fact that you HAVE to turn it off... That shouldent be there, you should never have to worry about the security of your computer. And i agree with you cookie, im probably going to get tazed for this but im looking for a macbook too,(if only i had the money) its time for a change, xp is getting old and since i refuse to go get vista, ill have to go with osx.

#17 monster

monster

You live on pen island

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 02:02 PM

3 clicks, not that hard to disable it. No different than disabling the challenge-response system in a firewall.

#18 Frag0holic

Frag0holic

I AM DEATH INCARNATE

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 05:36 PM

Vista still blocks just about any program that tries to access the internet, and you have to manually unblock all your games etc, which is kind of a pain. Not only that, but unblocking it does by no means guarantee that the program will be unblocked. I still haven't figured that one out, and neither has anyone else it seems. Mostly when trying to play over LAN on older games.

I don't know if it's MS fault (though I like to think it is), but DX 10 mode in any game turns into a slideshow for me. Most likely that is related to my GPU, which isn't even supported by NVidia. HP doesn't make drivers to improve performance, only safety issues or crashing issues.
If you are buying a laptop, make sure all your parts are supported by the manufacturer :1:

#19 Armitage

Armitage

Journeyman

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 12:52 AM

all i can say is wow.....its so funny to read everything that is posted here. ive been running vista 64-bit since feb of 07....to date 1 major issue, when i went from core2due to core2quad and new mobo, i HAD to resintall (in xp i could just make it take the new hardware :))

anyways, lets get take a look at just a few things... vista is a resource hog when compared to XP, this is true, 2gb or more...i know i gamed on 2 and now 4, i even tried 1 just to see how bad it is and its bad. but lets remember 1gb on xp is what you should run it with if you have sp2 installed, which most people run at least 2 gigs anyways that play games. 1GB is 4 times or more the amount of ram that you needed to run the previous mainstream OS, windows 98......while vista needing like 2, this is only double its predecessor. funny huh? now as far as running 32 bit applications in 64 bit windows, there is no big deal and no noticable difference in lag, and yes i do have a 32 bit vista sitting in the closet to bench against. because the 64 bit kernel does have 32 bit support, and the emulation is actually really good.

now on to the "problems"
UAC or the "annoying do you want to do this message that everyone complains about" is a safe guard never seen before in an os that keeps unwanted programs from running behind what you are actually doing. to bad no one has developed with MS on any software or drivers (ie the "bugs") so that you don't have to click that every time, and what i mean is run a new ms software and it doesn't ask, because it has a certificate. don't like it, as previously said, 3 clicks restart and it'll never bug you again.

Windows firewall, my firewall asks me when something needs to get out and i hit unblock and it never has had an issue, so i don't know what other problems there are, now if its older software it may not have permission to utilize resources that may make you think its not doing anything like going online, running it in admin mode (right click and run as admin or properties and click the check box) will solve this or turn UAC off and same thing. don't like windows firewall, turn it off. BTW i've run 64bit vista since load with no av of any sort, no virus or spy ware to date ;)

Pretty sh*t that takes up all that ram, if you are solely gaming and give a sh*t less aboutpretty sh*t, turn it all off, thats what i did, DWM uses a ton of resources for transparent windows, areo, etc. turn it off and gain all that back, its what i do, personally i have a user i am logged into for work and general use with it all turned on, and then another user that i have turned all that sh*t off and tweaked so nothing starts up, so there problem solved.

if you computer is coming with vista, then use vista. its not horrible, it may not bench AS GOOD as xp, but they had 7 years to get xp where its at, i'm sorry everyone is so afraid of change, but it'll be ok, vista is not horrible and its not going anywhere, i have to use it for work, so i got it for free and i like it so far. if you have a choice of a gaming computer with xp or vista, maybe you should take xp, it runs games batter, thats already been proven, but trying to downgrade a machine is a b*tch, just a word of warning.

ok i'm done, thanks for reading, lol. let the flaming begin.

#20 Mr. Sticks

Mr. Sticks

Spam Master General

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 01:48 AM

Well, I know this has turned into a much bigger discussion, but as far as my computer goes, I got the new one and XP is successfully installed on it and running like a dream.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users