8 replies to this topic

#1 wondergod

wondergod

i'm colored

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 03:05 AM

I just got my rig updated/revived...so I thought I might share a story, pic and specs...

So last Friday(1/18/08) I got my Second 8800gts in the mail, so I was all excited and decided to try SLI out...Now I had a 450 watt PSU and I KNEW it wasn't going to cut it but my new PSU was still in the mail. Being as I'm super impatient I decided I'd install the card, turn on SLI, run 3dmark and then shut it down for the rest of the week since I wouldn't be home(I Had to goto Texas for a week).

So installed the card, put the SLI bridge...booted up...and everything seemed ok. Enabled SLI, and restarted....everything ok...Downloaded 3dmark...still everything ok.

So I load up 3dmark, and start the benchmark. First benchmark, good, second, good, third, good, 4th System shutdown.

Thinking to myself...don't worry, just turn it back on...fizz...buzz....(smelling funny smell). *f*ck!*...PSU died....

So now I'm back from Texas, my PSU arrived, with a third gfx card, and some extra cheap ram...

After a Windows Reformat...all is well....

Antec 900 Case
MSI P6N-SLI
Q6600 Quad 2.4Ghz G0 Stepping
2 x 8800GTS 512 (G92)
Radeon 7000 (drives second monitor when using SLI)
4 x 1 Gig A-Data Ram
Seagate 7200rpm 230gb SATA
WD 720rpm 180gb IDE
Creative Audigy 2 ZS Gamer
Thermaltake Toughpower 700watt PSU
Also the massive thing in the top of the Pic is my CPU Cooler Tuniq Tower 120, thing is massive but does a hell of a job...

I still gotta readjust my over clock settings for my Q6600, I had it running at 3Ghz before...but I reset my bios and I have to figure out the settings I had before.

Also I have to fix the wiring because its a freakin mess, but I just wanted to get it up and running to get Windows reinstalled and what not before I pretty it up...

Posted Image

#2 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 03:42 AM

not bad, but could use a higher cpu clock.

#3 Novahawk

Novahawk

Beast

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 08:58 AM

Very nice! Q6600 with 2 G92 GTSs, awesome! And yeah with that cooler you could easily go to at least 3.4 on it, and OC the GTSs also, the G92 ones overclock like crazy, ive seen people OC it to 800 on the core (just for benching though, no reason to overclock those cards for games though, they're beast).. But very nice system, and im digging the sexy pink ram lol

#4 vet.mad hatter

vet.mad hatter

the real hatter

• Server Admin+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 11:57 AM

Thats a sweet set-up i wanna see some benchmarks.When i get my quad figured out and stable at 4.0 i wanna compare 1vs2 gts's.I hope to get 17k in 06 right now i get 16,100 with the gts@820/1100.Get to overclocking that GO!!!!!

#5 wondergod

wondergod

i'm colored

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 11:26 PM

I found my original OC settings to bring my Processor to 3.0ghz, I had i running at 3.4-3.5 before but I can't find the settings I wrote down to do it, so I'll have to mess with it a bit to get it back there...

I'll also have to mess with my Vid card OC, because I haven't messed with it, I was waiting till I got the second card. I have an EVGA card and I heard they OC pretty well. Not bad for all Air cooling I guess. I'm debating one my next addition, either a new motherboard(mine runs PCIx 8x and 8x) or a nice Watercooling set.

3dmark 06 16244

#6 The Punisher

The Punisher

Who Knows?

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 06:24 PM

thats a f*cking beast

i just got the q6600 about a month and a half ago..been running 3.0ghz fine...i think ill test how high it goes if your getting 3.5!

#7 W@@DST@CK

W@@DST@CK

Journeyman

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 02:58 AM

you badass mother!!! sweet rig!!!! i want 2 8800 gts loves it!!!

#8 rekk

rekk

Lurker

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 02:31 PM

how is SLI working for you?

until I got my 8800gtx a couple months ago I was using dual 7800s before one broke when UPS shipped my computer. Even with just 1 7800 I didn't notice much of a difference as with 2.

But 7800s are tiny compared to the 8800s, my gtx barely fit in my case huge case.

#9 wondergod

wondergod

i'm colored

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 04:16 PM

it works pretty well. It really only +1's when I crank out quality settings. I'm sure it would also help more at higher resolutions but I only play at 1440x900.

But yea it has helped my general FPS plus now I can crank out games like Crysis, and World in Conflict to some really pretty sh*t.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users