5 replies to this topic

#1 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 05:14 AM

A UK firm says it has developed a WiFi laptop tracking security app which destroys its own data when moved beyond the network.

It claims that its Backstopp product uses IP addressing, RFID tags and GPS triangulation to keep an eye on laptops. If the machine is moved to somewhere it shouldn�t be then a self destruct can be triggered or set to go off automatically.

Should the lappy have a built in web cam, it can also be programmed to take pictures of whoever stole and beam them back to the network. The firm is not claiming that it is a first line of defence but says it is a useful security addition.

"The vast majority (of laptops) are not stolen for their data, but the ultimate recipient will often come across the data and use it for criminal purposes. This solution prevents that illicit use,� commented Dean Bates, CTO of Virtuity.

It costs a tenner a month to set up.

A GPS connection is in development which will be able to destroy data and get photos of the culprits out without needing WiFi.

Sauce: INQ
Thoughts: Thats fucking awesome, good timing as well with the amount of stolen laptops now a days.

#2 wondergod

wondergod

i'm colored

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 12:46 PM

That is pretty badass. Seems like its a long time overdue.

I hope it explodes in a flame like a dell laptop, then also sprays out the ink that you can't remove of your skin.

Being burned and blue would be awesome.

#3 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 03:09 PM

LOL thats like a james bond or mission impossible... "This device will self destruct in 5 seconds..." then the glasses explode.... heh..

#4 Boostfed

Boostfed

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 04:54 PM

sweet,

Honda / Acura is going to be doing the same for their cars by 2012. Where only a thumb print and encoded
key will allow you to start the car. try to over ride the system and the entire ignition system gets a pulsated charge
that fries basicaly the ecu (cars pc) and all.

in addition is locks th car ( with you in it ) and sends a signal via onstar and the feds show up.

not bad for one of the most stolen brand of car in the world.

#5 matthew0155

matthew0155

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:13 PM

hahaha wondergod... Do dell laptops really explode cause i make fun of my friend all the time saying that im afraid his dell laptop is going to explode on me. Also boost, whatever happened to the good old slim jim and hotwire to steal a car.

#6 lostcuaz

lostcuaz

Combine Zombie

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 01:01 PM

I can see one problem, lose power lose wifi and gps connections, bye bye laptop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users