7 replies to this topic

#1 EVIL Shenanigans

EVIL Shenanigans

Basement Caucasian

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 06:42 PM

Theres a program out there called 'Ad-aware'. It's most basic and sometimes useful function is finding and deleting little tracking cookies that arn't particularly a problem unless you insert some personal info into a browser and let a stranger on your comp...and it just might slow down your browser some if enough tracking cookies exist (i assume). Depending on how much i used my browser (Explorer, at the time) Adaware would find about 60 tracking cookies a week.

I waited 60 days after i uninstalled Explorer and installed Firefox, ran Adaware again, and it found 3...just 3 tracking cookies. Now, I'm sure theres an easy explanation for this that I'm just not aware of, but if any of you explorers users needed another reason to get firefox, there ya go...

...and now an old vid.

M9BON5nd8Fg

#2 Massacre

Massacre

Obvious Troll

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 07:03 PM

If there's anyone still using IE... Please leave, there's just NO excuse.

#3 �HADOW109

�HADOW109

Inquisitor

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 07:09 PM

I like the older version of Ad-Aware, the new one takes too long to scan and restricts more features, that is why I don't use it anymore.

#4 dar_tana

dar_tana

Death to the Infidels!

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 07:14 PM

I did make the switch over to Firefox, but unfortunately I can't delete IE, because the college my mom works for, for some stupid reason, doesn't let her submit her grades on either Firefox or Safari (she's a mac user) so she has to use my computer every few months or so and use IE to input grades. It's not worth installing and uninstalling each time especially considering I don't know when she might have to next, but it's really annoying. Why would any website favor IE over firefox? It's uncanny!

#5 monster

monster

You live on pen island

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 02:10 AM

You don't have to uninstall IE (as if you could....), just don't use it if you don't like it. Nobody likes it's, but don't pretend like because it is installed on your computer that you are infected. It is sh*tty software, but IE is a core of XP and Vista, so get used to it.

EDIT: dar_tana, the reason that your mother needs IE is because the site that she accesses is based off of .NET and that is a proprietary MS platform. It's a big kick in the ass to the rest of the world, but it's Microsoft's version of Java.

Edited by monster, 27 February 2008 - 02:13 AM.

#6 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 04:22 AM

you actually can Remove IE, but it causes all kinds of compatibility problems with the default Shell, so unless you actually go through the trouble of getting it all replaced, it just isn't worth the hassle.

nLite and XP-Lite can both remove it, before or after the OS is installed.

#7 Massacre

Massacre

Obvious Troll

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 08:59 AM

Yup, MS tries to !@#$%^& you over now and then, but the only other use that I've found for IE in about the last two or so years is this:

http://i8.photobucke...acre/change.jpg
http://i8.photobucke...cre/change2.jpg

Highlight it using IE. It doesn't work in Firefox :perk:

Edit: forgot about the asterisks that get placed in "naughty" words and had to change the name.

Edited by Massacre, 27 February 2008 - 09:53 AM.

#8 ShLoNkY

ShLoNkY

I <3 t3h Internets

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 10:02 AM

Opera is still better. Yes I said this to start a fight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users