4 replies to this topic

#1 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 06:10 PM

Ok... So I got an 8800 GTS.. the bastard spews out heat like crazy... On top of that my chipset heatsink on my motherboard blows air onto the 8800 or the cpu when changed around.... I recently got this case with the side fans and such its a ThermalTake Xaser V. Awsome case but I still cant figure out how to stop heat from hitting the 8800 so hard. Here is a picture with it set up as it is. I have fan control so I can set the fans in the back and on the side. With them on full blast the temps for the 8800 are 55C at idle... not bad but im picky (I dont think they will get lower unless the room temp is low or I switch to liquid cooling...) When I crank up the games that damn chipset fan makes it worse... sometimes it goes up to 80 (not often..). For the most part the rest of my system stays quite cool in the mid 30's to mid 40's. I got the airflow coming in from the front and side blowing out the back and top as it should. Any suggestions as to further the cooling? I think im just being too damn picky but for what I paid for all this hardware I want the best cooling possible (for fans anyway...). OH.. the awsome part i love about this case is all the fans in the front and side have filters on them to keep dust out.. Yes it can slow the air a little but its worth keeping the dust out.

Posted Image

#2 Novahawk

Novahawk

Beast

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 06:37 PM

The G80 chips are made to withstand alot of heat, 80C on full load is not bad, although it is a little high for a gts, the full load on my gtx is also 80, but i have some nice air cooling in my case, although your idle temps sound right, i also had a 320GTS and the idle was about there...

80 is nothing really to be worried about though, if it goes above 90, then you should try and fix the cooling, but otherwise you're ok...

But if you really want some better cooling, try and cleaning up the cables some so you can get some air coming in from the front (thats if your case has a fan on the front, but most do...

Edit: Also you could try and get some better case fans that push more air...

Edited by Novahawk, 03 April 2008 - 06:39 PM.

#3 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:09 PM

That is the one major problem with this case... no great place for cables... LOL thats why they are strewn about... I might could spend a few hours fanagleing it but who knows... good thing is that my 8800 GTS doesnt go over 75 now. Under load the cpu never goes above 42C, system 40... which I think is quite nice! Thanks for the advice.

#4 matthew0155

matthew0155

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:40 PM

i don't have a heat monster of a gpu, but shielded cables and sh*t like that helps clear up space, i noticed that you have your extra molex connectors just hanging around, mabye tuck those in under your cd/dvd drive? Neons and sh*t like that(i have a ton of it) makes a wiring mess, and it took me a couple hours to sort out the wires and find the best way to put them for best look and air movement. So if you have any cutesy stuff take the out to improve air flow. Mine is still pretty bad, and i don't worry about heat, but pretty much my front fan is blocked completely. So with that gpu you want to avoid this, also it all depends on pressure in the case, so if you have too many exaust and not enough intake, you should switch a couple fans.

#5 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 09:56 AM

I worked on it some more and moved alot of cables around. I stuffed alot into the compartment where the drives go basically because you dont need airflow there. I cleared alot away from where the front fan blows into the case and used some twisty ties to clump the spare wires together. So far so good. Becuase of all the side fans and top fan and front fan and then you got the fan control switch and all the other crap it made it far worse but when I turn those fans on full blast My 8800 doesnt go over 65 now :P The CPU doesnt go over 43 even under load. same with system. I think I got the best cooling possible for now unless I go with something like liquid... though I dont trust that in anyway. I might get one of those thermalelectric coolers they got now... $130 for a heatsink and fan are kinda high though but hey if it keeps it cool... thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users