4 replies to this topic

#1 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 08:06 PM

Ok, the new release of Ubuntu due out this month has a cool feature built into the installer called Wubi. If you haven't heard of this already, you download the Linux .iso like you normally would and mount it, only this time there's an option to 'Install inside Windows'

This basically installs Ubuntu on your computer on the same partition as Windows. Windows views this as an application in the Add/Remove Programs but after you install it, when you reboot your computer, you can select Ubuntu from the Windows bootloader. And if you don't like it, you can uninstall it completely from Add/Remove Programs. So basically you can use Linux on your hard drive without formatting or partitioning or losing Windows.

Link

Here are some screenshots, obviously taken in Vista but Wubi works in any version of Windows back to '98.

#2 XxInColdBloodxX

XxInColdBloodxX

-The Foxez-

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 08:13 PM

That's fucking sick, defiantly going to have to try that out.

#3 pusadolfo

pusadolfo

Ant Lion Guard

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 08:55 PM

it looks pretty sweet, i think i'll try it

#4 Mandraque

Mandraque

Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 09:06 PM

no use for me, since i use ubuntu.

#5 Komit

Komit

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 05:21 PM

I tried to use this program a few months ago, but when I tried to boot as Linux, it gave me some file error and refused to boot. Thus being as I was only considering Ubuntu for the eye-candy possibilities I said f*ck it and deleted the sh*t.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users