• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Kill_JOy

Kill_JOy

Combine Zombie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 06:58 PM

Ok.. so, I finally get the long awaited "GTA:4" last night. I play for about 3 hours without a problem.

Today (after work) I fire up the 360 and pop in the game and, after about a minute, it freezes up! I thought it was the game so, I tried another game. Same sh*t.

WTF?? Why all of a sudden?

It's a second gen xbox 360 (not launch) and I haven't had a problem with any games before. I've run some pretty demanding titles on it (Bioshock, Gears of War, Halo 3) with absolutely no problem and now that I finally get my hands on "GTA:4" this bullsh*t happens?

What makes no sense is that it worked perfectly last night. I ran the game for 3 hours without a hiccup or glitch, at all. Why the hell, after coming home to a cooled down/powered down system does it f*ckin freeze up after a minute of runtime???

Perfect example of yet another microsoft product failing for no apparent reason and through no fault of the consumer whatsoever.

Shoot me.

#2 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:03 PM

You said the magic words right there, "I ran it fine last night." See the issue with the 360s heat is that it melts the solder, and while it's warm it may still have a connection, but when it contracts as it cools, then well, you get fucked.

Call up microsoft and start staring at your gta:4 copy, cause you just got owned.

#3 Kill_JOy

Kill_JOy

Combine Zombie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:10 PM

You said the magic words right there, "I ran it fine last night." See the issue with the 360s heat is that it melts the solder, and while it's warm it may still have a connection, but when it contracts as it cools, then well, you get f*cked.

Call up microsoft and start staring at your gta:4 copy, cause you just got owned.

Thanks for the fast and technical response, zeke.

f*ck Microsh*t. I'm gonna sell the f*ckin thing to a pawn shop and buy a PS3 off a crackhead for $20 bucks.

#4 matthew0155

matthew0155

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 08:41 PM

maybe you should have done that in the first place and not got done in the ass.

#5 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 06:49 AM

lol you people with bad luck, my '05 manufactured 360 has been sat on carpet for multiple hours running and still works fine, playing hours at a time, and btw this problem exists on the PS3 version too.

#6 Knife Girl

Knife Girl

Journeyman

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 11:02 AM

Wonder if the game messes with some sort of visual coding? o_O

If its gonna be like that, keep that out of my PC ;{

#7 Vicious

Vicious

Combine Zombie

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:00 PM

The problem exists very little on the PS3 supposedly :P only a relatively few 60gb versions. At least that's what SCEA says (and other people as well who hae the 60gb, as I do, works fine for me). They are working on the problem, it'll be fixed fine.

#8 Kill_JOy

Kill_JOy

Combine Zombie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 07:01 PM

The problem exists very little on the PS3 supposedly :P only a relatively few 60gb versions. At least that's what SCEA says (and other people as well who hae the 60gb, as I do, works fine for me). They are working on the problem, it'll be fixed fine.

Yup.. have the 60gig box.

Ahh well.. with my luck, I'd get the goddam ps3 and it would happen again.
So, I guess I'll stick with this console and send it out for repairs.
It just sucks that I held off on buying any other 360 games so that I could get gta:4 and (as irony would have it) it's the f*ckin reason why my box is bricked.

#9 Bloodyhamburger

Bloodyhamburger

Combine Soldier

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 09:41 AM

To put this simply, Rockstar is not known for their all-star game coding. Almost all of their games have had glitches and bugs upon release. I can see this being why GTA4 freezes, it'll be many patches and such before both the 360 and ps3 versions run completely smoothly. However, the fact that it freezes up fora ll other games too....sucks.

I run my xbox360 on it's side on a carpet about 1 foot away from a wall, never had an overheat problem. Of course, the only games I ever play on it are Assassin's Creed and Guitar Hero 3, which I do not consider to exactly be visually demanding.

I'm sure they'll make another mail-order-coffin solution for this glitch, it happened to my friend too. I think it just might be GTA has a cache bug that messes up the sexbox. Of course, I'm no professional microsoft expert either. Just cache errors seem to be an ongoing trend in Rockstar games. Apparently microsoft failure technology spreads this from being a fixable bug that takes maybe a week to patch to failing your whole system.

Simply put, the only thing that Microsoft could make that wouldn't suck is a vacuum.

#10 IWantWhiteCastle

IWantWhiteCastle

I Know the Slyder Secret

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 01:19 PM

We've had more issues with the PS3 version of the game where I work but both versions are definitely causing problems.

#11 Communist

Communist

Red Lazarus

• PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 10:30 AM

I kept getting the same problem- well, mostly the same.

We got GTA4 on Friday, played the hell out of it, went to bed. Starting Saturday it began freezing up roughly every twenty minutes even after the console had heated back up- and then we stood it up and it only was freezing every three hours or so.

On Sunday, someone knocked the console over while it was running.

My GTA4 disk now has a nice deep scratch all around it about a half-inch in from the edge. Edge is f*cked too.

This happens every time the console falls over, and GTA4 wouldn't run with it on its side. Piece of sh*t, and since it's three years old we can't even call warranty. The disk is f*cked beyond repair- wouldn't even take to the peanut butter treatment, which worked on Halo 3 when it did this sh*t last and has worked since- so we're taking it back in for exchange.

But we don't have the dosh for a new 360- we don't even have a Wii yet, and we are going to get one of those this year come hell or high water- so we have to live with it. I've got nine days or so left of wood shop, and I'm going to build a f*cking brace system for this thing so it can work without being knocked over every time an ant farts.

#12 Armageddon

Armageddon

Combine Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 11:55 AM

I never had any of those problems. I bought mine about a year and a half ago and its still running strong. I bought the intercooler fan and that definatly helps. If you ever get the ring of fire i heard you're supposed to wrap the 360 in hot towels or something like that

#13 matthew0155

matthew0155

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 09:21 PM

my friend has a leet 360, he had the extra fan on it, and it was louder than my computer.... It was stupid loud..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users