13 replies to this topic

#1 poocrayon

poocrayon

headpopper

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 02:39 AM

im planning to overhaul my desktop as im at college graduation and looking for a high paying job.

i plan to replace: pci-cooler (already purchased), power supply 585w (already ordered),

now heres where i need help

MOBO: im sticking with intel. LGA775 compatible please.

Processor: i want an intel core2duo. at least 2.4 ghz, 1333mhz FSB, and at least 4m shared in the L2cache.

Im looking for a large case under $100. some LEDs would be nice, along with fan gauges if possible.

I'd like to do all this as cheaply as possible.
if anyone has seen any good deals or has any ideas i'd love to hear them.

#2 NuLL-ZeR0

NuLL-ZeR0

Combine Soldier

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 06:14 AM

im planning to overhaul my desktop as im at college graduation and looking for a high paying job.

i plan to replace: pci-cooler (already purchased), power supply 585w (already ordered),

now heres where i need help

MOBO: im sticking with intel. LGA775 compatible please.

Processor: i want an intel core2duo. at least 2.4 ghz, 1333mhz FSB, and at least 4m shared in the L2cache.

Im looking for a large case under $100. some LEDs would be nice, along with fan gauges if possible.

I'd like to do all this as cheaply as possible.
if anyone has seen any good deals or has any ideas i'd love to hear them.

get an e8400 cpu if you can find them in stock, they OC amazing. otherwise get an e6750 cpu.

as for mobo, get an Abit IP35 pro or a Gigabyte DS3L
Or if u really want to go extreme, get an Asus Rampage Formula

Id recommend the coolermaster stacker 832, its what i have and its awesome. For something cheaper though, try the coolermaster 690.

#3 E42

E42

Combine Soldier

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 08:46 AM

From my PC thread

Antec 900 Case I got it for $79.00
Antec 600 Watt PSU was free
GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 $79.99
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz $203.00
G.SKILL 2GB PC2 6400 $42.00
SAPPHIRE HD3870 I already have
Seagate Barracuda 320Gigabyte Harddrive $69.00
LITE-ON Black 16X DVD-ROM 52X CD-R 32X CD-RW 52X CD-ROM $19.99

$492.98

If your just running a single card thats an awesome setup imo. I'm almost hitting 12k on 3dmark.. no overclock. Prices are dropping so i'm sure you can get everything you need for less. Just shop around a bit.

#4 wondergod

wondergod

i'm colored

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:45 PM

for a good rock solid motherboard that is NOT SLI capable but very cheap and sexy, you can't beat one of the Gigabyte DS3L, DS4L series.

For CPU look for a e8400, e6750, but if you spend a bit more I'm sure you can grab a Q6600 (Core2Quad), make sure to get the G0 stepping. This has to be the best selling intel processor on the market, a cheap Quad Core that overclocks really well.

and ya Coolermaster 690 is a pretty cheap case that seems to be popular. Or if you want I'm sure you can snag an Antec 900 for under 100 on Newegg just keep an eye out.

#5 poocrayon

poocrayon

headpopper

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 06:39 PM

thanks alot guys, i really got some good info here <3

#6 NuLL-ZeR0

NuLL-ZeR0

Combine Soldier

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 03:56 PM

dude i had the antec 900 for 2 days i bought it from best buy i returned that sh*t because the cable management was so sh*tty. id recommend a antec p182 over the antec 900

good cases:

coolermaster 690, stacker 832
thermaltake armor
antec p182
pretty much anything lian li or silverstone

#7 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 04:55 PM

The 680i mobo is much cheaper than it used to be and has a ton of room for upgrade in the future. Its not the best nforce mobo out.. they got the 700 series now but those are kinda expensive. If theres two things I would absolutly never go cheap on its the motherboard, psu, and especially the case... meh two cents..

Bumble

#8 NuLL-ZeR0

NuLL-ZeR0

Combine Soldier

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 07:26 PM

The 680i mobo is much cheaper than it used to be and has a ton of room for upgrade in the future. Its not the best nforce mobo out.. they got the 700 series now but those are kinda expensive. If theres two things I would absolutly never go cheap on its the motherboard, psu, and especially the case... meh two cents..

Bumble

680i blows, theyre famous for there problems. also, not good for upgrade, they suck with quads, and some dont even support the new 45nm quads.

#9 Novahawk

Novahawk

Beast

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 02:07 PM

My 680i hasn't given me any trouble at all... my FSB is also at 400, and i have reached 450 (havent tried going farther) all without any trouble or any work whatsoever...

Also, they don't "suck" with quads (don't know what you are talking about there), they only can't use the 45nm quads because intel decided to change them at the last second and didn't tell nvidia about it....

#10 NuLL-ZeR0

NuLL-ZeR0

Combine Soldier

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 08:18 PM

My 680i hasn't given me any trouble at all... my FSB is also at 400, and i have reached 450 (havent tried going farther) all without any trouble or any work whatsoever...

Also, they don't "suck" with quads (don't know what you are talking about there), they only can't use the 45nm quads because intel decided to change them at the last second and didn't tell nvidia about it....

thats so dumb because my intel p965 chipset mobo supports all the quads and the 680i is newer than that and doesnt. if u want to see problems with the 680i, go check evga forums lol. theyre infamous for overvolting ram.

#11 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 09:12 PM

thats so dumb because my intel p965 chipset mobo supports all the quads and the 680i is newer than that and doesnt. if u want to see problems with the 680i, go check evga forums lol. theyre infamous for overvolting ram.

I can go to any computer part manufacturer forum and make a uninformed conclusion that <insert chipset, motherboard, videocard, harddrive, power supply, DVD drive, or any computer part for that matter> "sucks" or "is sh*tty". Just because a few people have problems with a particular part does not mean it is pure sh*t. Computer parts are mass produced, and like all mass produced products there is going to be bad ones every so often.

Bumble

There's a reason why it's cheaper, it's an older chipset and is not guaranteed forward compatibility for newer intel CPU's. I myself would go for a 700 series or the p35.

BTW, you listed three things rather than two. As far as going expensive on a case, not so much, as long as it has sufficient cooling a 30-50$ case will be more than sufficient.

#12 poocrayon

poocrayon

headpopper

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 12:03 AM

excellent info. i've really got a lot to consider here and some good reccomendations.

#13 NuLL-ZeR0

NuLL-ZeR0

Combine Soldier

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 09:41 AM

I can go to any computer part manufacturer forum and make a uninformed conclusion that <insert chipset, motherboard, videocard, harddrive, power supply, DVD drive, or any computer part for that matter> "sucks" or "is sh*tty". Just because a few people have problems with a particular part does not mean it is pure sh*t. Computer parts are mass produced, and like all mass produced products there is going to be bad ones every so often.

my conclusion about the 680i is hardly uninformed. 680i is a debacle, more than a few people have had problems with it.

#14 poocrayon

poocrayon

headpopper

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 11:15 AM

oh snap, my thread started an E-debate!!! CRIPPLE FIGHT!!!!!!!1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users