29 replies to this topic

#21 Frag0holic

Frag0holic

I AM DEATH INCARNATE

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 09:50 AM

Oh, so you can get pirated Steam single-player games and still launch them through the Steam portal?

Technically, but I wouldn't recommend it simply because most people's STEAM accounts have a substantial dollar value attached to it, and personally I wouldn't risk it because they might ban your account IF they should somehow realize you've got pirated games installed. I'm sure that's a stipulation in the fine print of the ToS...

#22 MainEvent

MainEvent

God of the Godless

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 04:42 PM

No, I wasn't planing on it, I was just curious.

#23 SilentSinr

SilentSinr

Journeyman

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 05:22 PM

Well the latest news is that they removed the every 10 call home thing... now you just need to activate when you install the game and thats it, still sucks that its still limited to 3 activations, but they said EA will work with people on a case by case basis and hand out new authorizations if you're legit and all. Better than nothing, and i was very surprised that EA would go and do that, i guess the 100+ page complaint thread had something to do with it 9.gif

well its good to hear they didnt completely go through with it, but 3 activations does suck...if i remember correctly bioshock has the same sort of thing with limited activations...
it especially sucks if you happen to get a new computer or you have to reformat your harddrive

#24 Mandraque

Mandraque

Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 05:39 PM

i think the solution to piracy is great multiplayer games. I doubt many people pirate those.

#25 Kill_JOy

Kill_JOy

Combine Zombie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 10:29 AM

i think the solution to piracy is great multiplayer games. I doubt many people pirate those.

Rofl. The way I got CS 1.6 was to install my friend's version of Half-Life then (when they asked for the cd-key) type in one that I copied off the back of a Half-Life game case at staples. This was when you actually had to download Steam from it's website and it came bundled with a version of CS.

Yes, they actually used to print the cd-keys on the back of the game packaging. Pretty f*ckin stupid, I know.

Does that count as 'pirated'?

#26 MainEvent

MainEvent

God of the Godless

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 11:42 AM

Rofl. The way I got CS 1.6 was to install my friend's version of Half-Life then (when they asked for the cd-key) type in one that I copied off the back of a Half-Life game case at staples. This was when you actually had to download Steam from it's website and it came bundled with a version of CS.

Yes, they actually used to print the cd-keys on the back of the game packaging. Pretty f*ckin stupid, I know.

Does that count as 'pirated'?

I think any game that your are playing, but you did not pay any money for it considered to be pirated.

#27 Sniprwulf

Sniprwulf

demolition expert

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 12:17 PM

Gaming industries...

are shooting themselves in the foot.

#28 Frag0holic

Frag0holic

I AM DEATH INCARNATE

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 10:00 PM

I think any game that your are playing, but you did not pay any money for it considered to be pirated.

Wrong. If it is printed on the back of a box in a store it's not criminal to write it down.
and by the way you worded it, Freeware = piracy :>.<:

#29 Cyprus

Cyprus

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 02:21 AM

Not sure if you guys heard this already.

http://exophase.com/...cation-4917.htm

#30 MainEvent

MainEvent

God of the Godless

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 06:30 AM

Wrong. If it is printed on the back of a box in a store it's not criminal to write it down.
and by the way you worded it, Freeware = piracy :>.<:

In his scenario, yes, but I doubt you could find that anymore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users