http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813188026

Video Card - $172.99
MSI NX8800GT 512M OC GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814127329

XCLIO A380BK - $84.99
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811103010

Logitech Z-4 2.1 - $69.99
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16836121130

I already have 4gb of RAM running at 1066mhz, so that limits my mobos. I also have a E6750 waiting to be used, but it requires a 1333FSB which limits my options even more. Another question is, with that case, mobo, video card, and 1 250gb HDD, will I have to upgrade my current 500w psu? Most people tell me no, but I want to be 100% certain so I'm not f*cked when I order my parts.

EDIT - Anyone know of a decent sound card for under 100$? I really just want to be able to mic-spam other vents effectively but I wanna see if they really do boost sound quality that amazingly.

Edited by Komit, 15 September 2008 - 03:49 PM.

#2 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 04:03 PM

Ok, first of all, don't get that video card, seriously an ATi 4850 (or if you can find a 4870 in your price range) beats the shit out of it. envidya fails atm.

500w should be fine.

Also on Newegg look for sound cards made by Creative. They are the best when it comes to audio and there are many offerings which are under $100. I plan on getting one soon. As for gaming, I'd also recommend picking up a 5.1 headset.

#3 Komit

Komit

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 04:27 PM

Ok, first of all, don't get that video card, seriously an ATi 4850 (or if you can find a 4870 in your price range) beats the sh*t out of it. envidya fails atm.

500w should be fine.

Also on Newegg look for sound cards made by Creative. They are the best when it comes to audio and there are many offerings which are under $100. I plan on getting one soon. As for gaming, I'd also recommend picking up a 5.1 headset.

Okay note taken and made the change on the video card. Is Creative really that good? It's the only name Ive ever heard of sound card manufacturers but the general ratings on Newegg dont seem to be the best.

EDIT: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16826504004 These headphones should be alright, the current ones I'm using.

Edited by Komit, 15 September 2008 - 04:28 PM.

#4 wondergod

wondergod

i'm colored

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 05:37 PM

i have the motherboard and its pretty dope. However if you get an ATI card don't expect to use the SLI functionality of it.

However I would probably get the ATI 4850/4870 if I wasn't planning on using SLI, its a better card.

As for sound cards, creative is pretty much it, so there are millions of people who buy them and with any product that sells that many there are bound to be people who have problems. However creative drivers could use some work. They are the best choice out there. Until another company starts picking up the slack, maybe Asus with thier Xonar cards???

As for a case...ehh thats personal preference for the most part, that and cooling...

#5 Novahawk

Novahawk

Beast

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 05:40 PM

I have that case, and its great. Cooling is awesome, and its extremely roomy.

#6 Komit

Komit

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 07:29 PM

i have the motherboard and its pretty dope. However if you get an ATI card don't expect to use the SLI functionality of it.

However I would probably get the ATI 4850/4870 if I wasn't planning on using SLI, its a better card.

As for sound cards, creative is pretty much it, so there are millions of people who buy them and with any product that sells that many there are bound to be people who have problems. However creative drivers could use some work. They are the best choice out there. Until another company starts picking up the slack, maybe Asus with thier Xonar cards???

As for a case...ehh thats personal preference for the most part, that and cooling...

Yuh I changed out the 8800 for a 4850. Kinda silly, buy I've only worked with Nvidia in the past, will an ATI card be able to run on that mobo?

#7 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 08:24 PM

yes it will, you just wont be able to get 2 ATI's and crossfire em.

#8 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 01:05 PM

I have that case, and its great. Cooling is awesome, and its extremely roomy.

Gawdy cases with 10 cent pieces of molded plastic on them = fail

#9 Novahawk

Novahawk

Beast

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 02:03 PM

Ok yes, if you plan on hitting the front of your case with a hammer repeatedly, def avoid this case.

#10 Komit

Komit

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 02:16 PM

Ok yes, if you plan on hitting the front of your case with a hammer repeatedly, def avoid this case.

Can ya'll suggest a better case for less than 100$?

#11 Novahawk

Novahawk

Beast

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 02:22 PM

So you actually do plan on hitting your case with a hammer repeatedly?

#12 Komit

Komit

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 03:38 PM

So you actually do plan on hitting your case with a hammer repeatedly?

Wait wut? Cannot tell if humor or not. I'm gonna say.............no?

#13 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:41 PM

It's alot more than just the build quality, it's just the plain look of them. Throwing all this plastic sh*t on a computer case is about as 'cool' or as 'awesome' as going to wal-mart and purchasing 10$ plastic rims for your car and a stick on spoiler for the rear of your car. Plain looks like ass and you look like a real toolbag driving it :grin:

I myself use This For all my mid range builds. Very easy to work with, plenty of expansion bays for harddrives and also has some places to store excess cables to make it nice and tidy inside.

If you want to go a bit more pricier, coolmaster's stacker line is a superb choice.

But then again, if you like your 10$ wal-mart rims and cheap spoilers and mufflers that make you look like a toolbag, the xclio case is for you :weee:

#14 Novahawk

Novahawk

Beast

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:27 PM

That coolermaster case has more plastic on it than the xclio, plus its a midtower, and its metal is thinner... for the same price..

You know thats not a "wallmart" case because its smaller, thinner, and with worse airflow...

Yes, looks like the xclio case is the "plastic spoiler from wallmart" of computer cases...

#15 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:57 PM

That coolermaster case has more plastic on it than the xclio, plus its a midtower, and its metal is thinner... for the same price..

You know thats not a "wallmart" case because its smaller, thinner, and with worse airflow...

Yes, looks like the xclio case is the "plastic spoiler from wallmart" of computer cases...

Tell me have you purchased or even have used this case before? From the looks of your post you have not. I build quite a few machines every month and I know a good case from a bad case.

Just because it doesnt have huge f*cking fans on the front and side make it worse airflow.

Plastic, it's a metal shell with metal meshing. I fail to see how there is more plastic on this case? Hell I'm staring at one right now because I just finished building another gaming/graphic design rig for a customer using the following:

Quad core 9300 intel
6 gb of ram
ATI Radeon 4870X2
3 x 1 tb Western digital harddrives
Corsair 850 Watt power supply

Videocard runs at 65C under load, and the cpu at idle is running 29 C, load not even close to 50C. Zalman 9500 But then again, any computer with a decent CPU cooler and the basic 120 in the front and 120 in the rear will be more than adequate in being cooled.

#16 Komit

Komit

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:36 PM

As lame as it sounds, I kinda like the flashy "cheap" look. 9/10 of the dumbasses that come over don't know sh*t, they just see big fans and a big monitor and say "ooooooooo, you have like a super-computer."

#17 LanceHardwood

LanceHardwood

Lurker

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 11:46 PM

Don't bother with that 750i. Complete waste of money. Get a Gigabyte P45-DS3R. Crossfire board, which would go with the 4850 or 4870 nicely, also cheaper with the same feature set and a more stable Intel chipset.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128344

Also I'm right with Scroll Lock on the CM690. That case is the absolute top of it's class for airflow if you max it out with 120s. It kicks the sh*t out of everything even remotely near it. I have it's big brother the Cosmos and I love it.

Edited by LanceHardwood, 29 September 2008 - 11:48 PM.

#18 �HADOW109

�HADOW109

Inquisitor

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 06:45 PM

The ati 4850 gets hot as sh*t sometimes, it will probably idle around 65-80 degrees out of the box. You'll probably want to get a VGA cooler with it.
Here.

#19 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 10:01 PM

Or save yourself the hassle and manually set the fan speed, cheaper and does the same thing with very little fan noise increase.

Make a profile in catalyst after turning on Overdrive and make sure clock and memory settings are correct.

For Vista

Then go to the following location and open the following file for editing "C:\Users\Your Windows ID\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Your CCC Profile.XML. The xml file will have the same name as the Catalyst Profile you saved. right click and hit edit.

For XP

Then go to the following location and open the following file for editing "C:\Documents and Settings\Your Windows ID\Local Settings\Application Data\ATI\ACE\Your CCC Profile.XML. The xml file will have the same name as the Catalyst Profile you saved. right click and hit edit.

Now go down the page until you see the following lines in the XML file ...

<Feature name="FanSpeedAlgorithm_0">
<Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value="Automatic" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedRPMTarget_0">
<Property name="Want" value="0" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedPercentTarget_0">
<Property name="Want" value="23" />

Change the "Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value=" from "Automatic" to "Manual"

Then change "Property name="Want" value=" from "23" to your desired fan speed.

Save the file then reload the Profile you just edited in the CCC.

You will have to select the profile everytime you re-start the computer.

Be sure to also set:
<Feature name="FanSpeedRPMTarget_0">
<Property name="Want" value="0" />

Done, when i had my 4850 before my 4870 x2's, 55-60 was the best noise - cooling ratio.

#20 Haven

Haven

This bacon is stinky

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 10:12 AM

It's retarded that it makes it go from ~60c Idle down to ~45c Idle @ 55% rather than the "auto"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users