9 replies to this topic

#1 AssHattery

AssHattery

Combine Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 03:32 PM

looking to get some new stuff my computer can't run team fortress only get like 25 fps when not many people are around and warhammer lags quite a but found this deal and was curious to see how it was any input would be good http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=1533

i have 3gb of good ram in my pc now so im good there have a monitor and keyboard mouse ect would just need a vid card after

Edited by Dead Nigger Storage, 18 September 2008 - 03:34 PM.

#2 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 09:23 PM

Tigerdirect sells it's overstock CPU's and motherboards as cpu/motherboard combos. The value isnt there, IMHO get the following:

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3L One of the better value overclocking boards. Very nice features and overclocking options(will need to press a special key to get into the advanced overclocking menu.)

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 Don't go for the old and busted, get the new and improved. More L2 cache, smaller process = cooler and faster running. Plus these overclock pretty well to boot!

Total price: 368.95 shipped here to michigan.

Obviously you can go several different routes with the motherboard but I just threw one out there that is pretty decent for the price. Also if you are going for a pure gaming route, a Core 2 dual core will be much better suited. As you can drop more money onto a videocard which most games heavily rely on nowadays. CPU upgrades pale in comparison to a high power GPU upgrade.

#3 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 09:25 AM

Another thing you have to keep in mind is that all of these newer motherboards use DDR2, so if you are using socket 939, 940, 754, 478, socket A/462, and early generation LGA775 you will NOT be able to use your old ram. The ones I rattled off use regular DDR and are not compatible in the slightest.

#4 AssHattery

AssHattery

Combine Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 06:54 PM

ya i got my old motherboard right before the dual core stuff came out and i can't up grade to a better one so that sucks but it can still use the ddr2 so all my ram is ddr2.... how are the gtx vid cards ? reviews seemed good http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130374 or maybe one of the ati cards seems lots of people like them... I was also curious to see if it was better to get two cheaper video cards or get one better one for now not exactly shure how much having two cards helps

Thanks for the help

Edited by Dead Nigger Storage, 19 September 2008 - 07:01 PM.

#5 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 07:44 PM

the ATi 4xx0 series has the best performance to price ratio, if you go any other route, you're a fanboy.

#6 Novahawk

Novahawk

Beast

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 09:15 PM

Yeah plus the fastest thing out right now is the 4870X2, so ATI is really owning now.

#7 AssHattery

AssHattery

Combine Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 11:01 PM

would that motherboard scroll suggested work for the dual ati cards or would i need a different one?

#8 (NamEless)

(NamEless)

i Suck pp woob woob!!!

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 10:56 AM

would that motherboard scroll suggested work for the dual ati cards or would i need a different one?

I have that mobo and it only has one pci express 2.0 x16 slot

Edited by (NamEless), 20 September 2008 - 10:57 AM.

#9 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:15 PM

I have that mobo and it only has one pci express 2.0 x16 slot

The 4870 X2 handles all the crossfire linking on the card so therefore you will not need a second slot nor a motherboard that supports crossfire.

#10 LanceHardwood

LanceHardwood

Lurker

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 11:43 PM

I agree with Scroll Lock. For various reasons:

The nVidia chipsets are utter dogsh*t right now. You don't want one. Under ANY circumstances. They're unstable, finicky and bring absolutely nothing to the table.

Intel Chipsets on the other hand are easy to work with, stable, tend to support any chip you put on them and support CrossFire.

Like ScrollLock said, you want a 4000 series Radeon card. 4850 would be very nice, but the 4870 is worth the extra cash if you've got it. A 4870x2 would be better, but right now I'd just do the single 4870. SLI and CrossFire are both flawed in my opinion, by the time you really need the performance boost, there will be a single card that mops the floor with 2 of the previous generation.

That said, if you must have multi GPU support, Crossfire is categorically superior to SLi from a tech standpoint, and right now the ATi cards are top flight so it's a win win.

Gigabyte is also my favorite board company right now, and the DS3L is great too. Personally, however, I recommend the P45-DS3R. Crossfire support, dual gigabit ethernet, firewire and the like for about 140.

Either way, good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users