#1 Mandraque

Mandraque

Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 10:12 AM

link

i sure hope not. any opinions or info on this topic?

#2 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 10:19 AM

Worst case scenario is they offload manufacturing to other companies and AMD will continue on as a research and developing company for processors.

So either way you'll still see AMD processors. They'll just be manufactured by a different company. (You know, kinda like how just about every graphics card is.)

EDIT:

Engadget is slow at updating.

They are officially becoming two companies, one for development, one for manufacturing. Other then it being two companies now, I fail too see any real change that this will create other then helping AMD.

And you should Edit the topic as you posted news from yesterday referring to today.

#3 Lone Rapist

Lone Rapist

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 01:26 PM

pssh who cares, intel ftw

#4 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 03:22 PM

pssh who cares, intel ftw

Enjoy your corporate sleaze and terrible support.

Every Intel processor I've ever used has been a piece of shit. Even the newer ones aren't overly spectacular.

Same thing with envidya, never will I EVER buy an envidya GPU again.

#5 matthew0155

matthew0155

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:10 PM

whatever... as long as i can keep buying AMD processors i dont care.
if i cant then ill be sticking with my AMD 5600+ for a while.

#6 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:53 PM

Every Intel processor I've ever used has been a piece of sh*t. Even the newer ones aren't overly spectacular.

Ive never had one issue with both of the dual cores ive had not one plus the old centrino i had years ago, as for the nvidia ive never had one issue with my gpus... ati is what has caused me all the problems. Havent bought a new ati card recently though so it probably different now. and yes.. Intel FTW...

#7 Lone Rapist

Lone Rapist

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 09:18 PM

Every Intel processor I've ever used has been a piece of sh*t. Even the newer ones aren't overly spectacular.

ive never had any problems with my intel processors or my nvidia graphics cards.

#8 Jack

Jack

The Uncola

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 02:35 AM

ive never had any problems with my intel processors or my nvidia graphics cards.

+1 I think people just need to stop buying sh*t off craigslist

#9 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 02:47 AM

+2 and I think people need to read FAQ guides on overclocking before needlessly upping the voltage on their cpu's. Since we all know chris is the end all of computer building he wouldnt ever do that :grin:

#10 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 06:44 AM

I didn't buy my GPUs on Craigslist I bought them on NewEgg and they fucking sucked. nVidia blows and always will.

+2 and I think people need to read FAQ guides on overclocking before needlessly upping the voltage on their cpu's. Since we all know chris is the end all of computer building he wouldnt ever do that :grin:

What does that have to do with this? The same thing would have happened if it were an Intel CPU.

#11 EVIL Shenanigans

EVIL Shenanigans

Basement Caucasian

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 08:29 AM

+3 and i think people *coughchriscough* just might wanna stop while he's only slightly behind since aparently there are many many :tup: compared to there personal few :tdown: regarding intel processors and Nvidia cards...

And to get back on track, I really don't see a good 'why?' to this split from AMD. Sure the company looked to be in trouble but who says this is actually helping the company? Granted, Foundry will be manufacturing mainly for AMD but they will also be busy manurfacturing other chips...possibly for AMD competitors...? And why would the 'back-and-forth' setup between AMD and Foundry work better than it all being in the same house, like Intel still is currently...which, as Zekes article noted, this split will "leav[e] Intel as the only significant maker of PC chips to still design and build its own products." Sounds like a significant step down for AMD. And everyone quoted in that same article is praising this which makes me wonder if I'm missing somethin...for instance, Dirk Meyer (A.M.D.�s chief executive) said, �This will make us a financially stronger company, both in the near term and in the long term, as a result of being out from the capital expense burden we have had to bear." What burden is being lifted? The burden will still be either on AMD or Foundry, and in either case will still effect AMD. As for Dirk's point about the company being stronger in the near term, sure...they look to be getting a great money infusion from share holders which will certainly help them out for the present...but as far as long term goes, i really don't see a 'pro' in any of this...

/end confused rant

#12 Sniprwulf

Sniprwulf

demolition expert

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 01:09 PM

I just hope this doesn't slow down their production of 45nm phenom cores due to be out first quart 2009... I was waiting until early next year to make a new comptuer since it's been over 3 years since my comps been built

#13 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 03:17 PM

+3 and i think people *coughchriscough* just might wanna stop while he's only slightly behind since aparently there are many many :tup: compared to there personal few :tdown: regarding intel processors and Nvidia cards...

And to get back on track, I really don't see a good 'why?' to this split from AMD. Sure the company looked to be in trouble but who says this is actually helping the company? Granted, Foundry will be manufacturing mainly for AMD but they will also be busy manurfacturing other chips...possibly for AMD competitors...? And why would the 'back-and-forth' setup between AMD and Foundry work better than it all being in the same house, like Intel still is currently...which, as Zekes article noted, this split will "leav[e] Intel as the only significant maker of PC chips to still design and build its own products." Sounds like a significant step down for AMD. And everyone quoted in that same article is praising this which makes me wonder if I'm missing somethin...for instance, Dirk Meyer (A.M.D.’s chief executive) said, “This will make us a financially stronger company, both in the near term and in the long term, as a result of being out from the capital expense burden we have had to bear." What burden is being lifted? The burden will still be either on AMD or Foundry, and in either case will still effect AMD. As for Dirk's point about the company being stronger in the near term, sure...they look to be getting a great money infusion from share holders which will certainly help them out for the present...but as far as long term goes, i really don't see a 'pro' in any of this...

/end confused rant

It's good because it allows AMD to be 2 smaller entities and avoid some of the large capitol gains taxes. Along with this it allows Foundry to make money by making other developers chips. Meaning a more stable company with multiple forms of income.

It also stated that AMD will always be put before any other companies processors for Foundry, so there's no chance that AMDs chips will be delayed because of another production.

And does it really matter that they don't technically develop and produce their own chips? I see more chance for better advances when the company is focused on one cause instead of juggling two completely different mindsets of tasks.

I personally think this will be a big turning point for AMD. While, I don't really care who is performing the better of the processor wars as I just buy what is the best price to power ratio at the time of building a PC. It doesn't mean I want them to fail. More competition means the consumers win.

#14 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 04:32 PM

Fuck you nigger, nVidia cards fucking blow (bad drivers, high defective rate, etc...) and I'm not going to go out and get a new motherboard just because the newer Intels are better than previous generations. I have always had horrible experience with Intel and nVidia parts and splendid experience with AMD/ATi parts. Me upping the voltage is USER ERROR, not a fault of the processor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users