An explanation of my ricky raccoon name

October 22, 1987
U.M. B. C.
Athletic Dept.
Attn: Rick Hartzell
Baltimore, MD 21228
RE: U.M.B.C. Rugby Team
Dear Mr. Hartzell:
This past weekend, 10/16, I was visiting St. Mary's College of MD. to see my old roomate and her parents during Parents Weekend sponsored by the school. I watched the rugby match on Saturday and I really enjoyed It. U.M.B.C. played a fine game (editor's note that was the compliment), but that Is not why I'm writing. I'm writing to tell you about the most appalling behavior displayed by your school's rugby team,
The travesty began on Saturday after the game. The team players and their visiting family members all went to a family barbeque at Monk's Inn. We all ate out6ide because of the lovely weather and enjoyed the day until U.M.B.C. arrived.
The antics began with the team running over a raccoon on the way to our picnic. They stopped and picked it up. They named it Ricky, put a rope around its neck and propped it up in their car. That made a wonderful entrance: Next thing, we are eating and chatting and do you know what they subjected us to next? They strung up ol' dead Ricky by a very nearby tree and began to pelt It with a cascade of rocks and sticks, while shouting and laughing. By now, they have stopped the party and all we could do was stare and gape at these morbid "children." Finally my friend, Pam Crowder, went over and told them to please stop, that It was making her sick, and that they were being immature. They stopped... only until they saw her leave. Then they took Ricky out of the tree and drug him around and asked him to do tricks for the crowd. It was a circus. Needless to say, they cleared the place out. Now, you would think that would be the end of it. No, no, there is more. They proceeded back to campus and drove across the beautiful one acre front lawn of the school's brand new townhouses, that was the showpiece for the weekend for the visiting friends and family. But not only did they drive across it and scar the lawn, they were dragging Ricky behind the car! We could not believe it. And the people that had been spared the shenanigans at the picnic, the people that had stayed on campus, were now being forced to view the appalling behavior of the team too. Of course, more staring and more gaping. The police were called, but they never arrived MUCH to our disappointment. That scene finally came to an end when they drove from the front lawn over to the athletic fields, out of sight for around ten minutes, but returned minus one dead raccoon. I cannot tell you what they did with it, because no one wanted to walk over to the fields and look. Then they left, or so we thought. They had only gone to Cook's Liquors on Rt. 5 to buy beer, then they returned. They strolled around the townhouse doors asking the girls if they could come in The R.A. was told, Lynn Wise. Lynn told them to either get into a private enclosure or she would confiscate all of their alcohol. (Our school alcohol policy is no open containers of alcohol - result is confiscation) They all hustled into a townhouse and that was the last I saw of them.
The U.M.B.C. rugby team's behavior was inexcusable as well as unforgettable. Not only did they represent the team, but they also represented the school. And school representation like that is the last thing anyone wants to see.
I do not know how many more letters you will receive, if any. Or how much the stories will vary, but it does not matter because all you need to know is the basic story to get the whole picture. You have the letter and you have the story. I hope you respond to this letter by taking action against the team that merits their sickening behavior. When you see something like that it really makes you wonder what motivates them to do it and what kind of pleasure they derive from it. It makes you scared.
Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this and hopefully act on it too.
Sincerely,

Debbie L. Henderson

#2 Armageddon

Armageddon

Combine Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 08:14 PM

interesting i guess...

welcome home

#3 MainEvent