1 reply to this topic

#1 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 07:20 AM

Anyone aside from me feel as if Intel pretty much fucked over every high-end mem distributor on the market by limiting the ram on the i7 series to 1.65v and saying anything higher has a potential of frying the cpu due to the memory controller being integrated on the chip?

I feel that's a major kick in the balls seeing as most logical people buy high performance ram to OC the lower end CPU's and make them a worthwhile buy compared to their overpriced counterparts with a 200-400 MHz stepping and an extra 150+ price tag. (920>940 with a slight OC)

with such facts being thrown around by almost every i7 mobo maker, I can only hope future I7's either remove the integrated memory controller, or allow it to work around that stupid voltage limit so people can actually take advantage of high performance memory instead of having to under clock the ram in hopes that it won't destroy your chip...

I just hope that the Phenom 2's with *proper high-end ram* will rape the I7's due to such limits, but from what I've seen, the Phenom 2 benchmarks even with DDR2 is just mildly behind the I7's (like 11-20% at best) :tup:

#2 Haven

Haven

This bacon is stinky

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 11:36 AM

I7 overclocking = annoying.
AMD overclocking although somewhat 'bad' recently = challengingly fun

Best part of Phenom 2's, normal white folk will be able to afford the upgrade while keeping most of their 'old' sh*t.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users