Posted 29 December 2008 - 06:35 PM

XFX 8800gtx
Gigabyte EP43-DS3 Mobo
Intel core 2 Duo e6600 (not overclocked yet) - Watercooled
2 x2gb Corsair Dominator DDR2 RAM
Corsair 620W PSU
2 x 250gb Maxtor SATA HDDs
1 x 80gb IDE HDD (old school :D)

Hoping to get a cooling block for my GPU soon, anyone know any reliable ones?

Other thing, i'm currently running Vista 64bit Ultimate, and it's pissing me off. Anyone got anyreason for me to stay using Vista, or is it just not worth the hassel? I've got a copy of XP 64bit aswell.

Will post pics when i can

#2 SoulWind

SoulWind

Combine Elite

• Server Admin+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 08:35 PM

pretty decent system, some older parts in there (80gb hd lol, I'm in the process of replacing my 2x 500gb's w/ WD Caviar Black 1tb's)

If its bugging you, just fall back to XP, I can't stand Vista, only downside is the odd game that is DirectX 10 only and M$ forces you to use Vista.

I've never played with water cooling much so I don't think I can recommend any blocks, but have you looked at the Danger Den ones?

#3 wondergod

wondergod

i'm colored

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 09:48 PM

A cooling block on your GPU may help but it really depends on the rest of your cooling setup. Do you have a prebuilt set up? or did you build it yourself with different parts? It really depends on the radiator size whether the system can handle enough heat transfer for a GPU in addition to the CPU. Also you want to make sure the pump would keep the flow rate high enough through the CPU and GPU block.

As Soulwind said the Danger Den's are the best 8800GTX blocks, however if you have a Koolance or prebuilt system, using a Copper Danger Den block may cause corrosion in your loop which is BAD.

As for Vista, ehh I'll let someone else rant on that ;)

#4 Sniprwulf

Sniprwulf

demolition expert

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 10:14 PM

Alls I gotta say is, watercooling and no overclock?? Why is it even watercooled then???

Your probably better off buying an 4850 and selling ur 8800gtx than watercooling it; just my opinion. Then again, Idk if you're going for a quiet system or a superfast sytem.

replace your 80gig ide w/a 75 gig raptor before you buy a cooling block for your gpu too i'd think.

#5 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 11:25 PM

XFX 8800gtx

Posted Image

Otherwise nice system, although why is Vista angering you? Be sure you have SP1 installed and turn off that auto-indexing shit, which IS a system hog.

#6 Haven

Haven

This bacon is stinky

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:21 AM

Posted Image

ilu chris <3

Edited by Haven, 30 December 2008 - 12:22 AM.

#7 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:50 AM

Waterblocks, no idea, but as previously said, you can save the $$$ from buying the waterblock, and sell the 8800GTX and get a 4850, they are what? 140$?

Can sell the card for like 90-100$ on ebay I believe, and a DECENT waterblock for a videocard is what? 30? 40? Will net you more performance for the same amount of $$$

Sidenote, maxtor harddrives suck balls

#8 �HADOW109

�HADOW109

Inquisitor

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:29 AM

I would rather have XP than Vista imo, you should also get the 4850 (I got it for about $160).

#9 Novahawk

Novahawk

Beast

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:27 AM

A 4850 coming from an 8800GTX is not worth the $140-$160 for just a small increase. Either get a 4870 or a GTX260, that would be a much better upgrade. I just picked up a GTX260 Core 216 (superclocked version) for $200, and its amazing.

#10 Jagged

Jagged

Lurker

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 03:35 PM

A cooling block on your GPU may help but it really depends on the rest of your cooling setup. Do you have a prebuilt set up? or did you build it yourself with different parts? It really depends on the radiator size whether the system can handle enough heat transfer for a GPU in addition to the CPU. Also you want to make sure the pump would keep the flow rate high enough through the CPU and GPU block.

As Soulwind said the Danger Den's are the best 8800GTX blocks, however if you have a Koolance or prebuilt system, using a Copper Danger Den block may cause corrosion in your loop which is BAD.

I use the 80gb IDE HDD cos it's the one i use for my OS, don't need any bigger. I use one of my 250gb HDDs for games, and the other for photos, videos, documents and music. 80gb HDD is barely used.

As for Vista, ehh I'll let someone else rant on that ;)

The PC is built by me, but i bought a case which was �150 which has the watercooling radiator mounted on the front panel so the watercooling is pre built. My brother has the same case and graphics card and it's watercooled but his GPU pump sucks so i wanted to know if anyone could recommend a decent one

Alls I gotta say is, watercooling and no overclock?? Why is it even watercooled then???

Your probably better off buying an 4850 and selling ur 8800gtx than watercooling it; just my opinion. Then again, Idk if you're going for a quiet system or a superfast sytem.

replace your 80gig ide w/a 75 gig raptor before you buy a cooling block for your gpu too i'd think.

Havn't got round to OCing it yet, just got a new mobo and RAM for christmas so i will be overclocking it soon (when i learn how :P)

With the c0oling, i have a 120mm fan at the back, 2 80mm fans- one at the top, and one at the back next to the PSU, and then the 3 120mm fans at the front which cool the LCS.
My 8800 GTX is about a year old now, don't ahve the original box either so would it actually be worth selling?

Vista annoys me cos A) im not used to it B) i don't like the User assitant crap or w/e it's called that asks you if you want to proceed everytime you do something, and i was told if you turn that off it leaves your registry vulnerable.

Thanks for all the replies btw :)

Edited by Jagged, 30 December 2008 - 03:37 PM.

#11 wondergod

wondergod

i'm colored

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 10:07 PM

Technically the GPU blocks that cover the RAM are not "better" than the GPU only waterblocks, however I prefer them since I don't have to mount ramsinks on, which always seem to fall off after a while.

But yea for the full cover the Danger Den one is probably the best however the Dtek Fusion or Swiftech MW-60 are pretty good GPU only coolers but you'll need to get ramsinks for those.

Do you have a link for your setup like where you bought it, I can take a look and probably let you know if your pump is good enough for GPU and CPU.

But yea a full cover block is about the same as a New video card sometimes, so a GPU only one might be worth it, or getting a new video card all together.

#12 Haven

Haven

This bacon is stinky

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:38 PM

GPU Only blocks are def. the way to go.
Not only are they considerably cheaper but the adaptability is far greater.
An 8800GTX DD block will only fit....an 8800GTX
Whereas an MCW60 has brackets for dozens of cards + good RAM sinks are reusable. <----I say this because a lot of RAM Sinks straight up suck and literally refuse to adhere to anything.

On my 8800GTX I got better temps with an MCW60 than my old DDG80 full coverage block.
[not a lot, but still better]

But like wondergod said....the RAM sinks can fall off. [Unless you use the magic of 3M spray adhesive {very little}]

Edited by Haven, 30 December 2008 - 11:40 PM.

#13 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:42 PM

i don't like the User assitant crap or w/e it's called that asks you if you want to proceed everytime you do something, and i was told if you turn that off it leaves your registry vulnerable.

Not at all true, you're plenty vulnerable using Windows anyway. Although Windows 7 is coming out soon enough, if you don't have Vista yet I'd just wait for it.

#14 Jagged

Jagged

Lurker

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:07 PM

My corsair dominator RAM came with a ram fan, so thats all good, just looking for a GPU block.

I built the system myself, but the Case is a Thermaltake Kandalg LCS.

Anyone know the safest speed with overclocking for the e6600? I've never overclocked before.

#15 Haven

Haven

This bacon is stinky

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 02:43 PM

GPU Block

G80 Adapter Kit

Sinkz

As for Overclocking that thing. Send a PM to Mad Hatter and stroke his e-peen and he will help you I'm sure.

Sent you a PM as well.

Edited by Haven, 31 December 2008 - 02:44 PM.

#16 Jagged

Jagged

Lurker

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 11:25 PM

I'm currently not running with a seperate sound card atm, going with onboard. I was wondering, is it really worth getting a seperate sound card? Or should i sort out Watercooling my GPU and replacing my IDE HDD first?

#17 SoulWind

SoulWind

Combine Elite

• Server Admin+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 03:44 AM

on board sound is good enough these days IMO

I went the extra mile and put in a Auzentech X-Fi Prelude just because I wanted the better EAX effects (all non creative cards are limited to EAX 2.0)

you don't really need it, but if you got cash to burn, you can

You really should replace that HD first, go buy a WD Caviar Black 640gb, they are like $80 these days and are great drives.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users