• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jagged

Jagged

Lurker

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 12:20 PM

I will assume anyone reading this has read my Rig setup post, so you know what it is. What i am going to ask is, what are the advantages of dual monitors? I mean I have 2 PCs, one which i run MSN and Music on (through my hifi) so i have MSN while im gaming, the other for games. Would there be any point in me using another monitor on my main PC?

What can i actually do while ingame without the game minimising? If anything?

#2 Komit

Komit

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:31 PM

I run dual monitors myself. I usually have vent, AIM, music, torrents, and the internet running on the second monitor. It may just be the way I have it set up, but I can't even move my mouse over to that screen if I have the game running in fullscreen. If I'm having an important aim convo, I'll just run the game in window mode maximized.

#3 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 04:00 PM

I run dual monitors myself. I usually have vent, AIM, music, torrents, and the internet running on the second monitor. It may just be the way I have it set up, but I can't even move my mouse over to that screen if I have the game running in fullscreen. If I'm having an important aim convo, I'll just run the game in window mode maximized.

Any program running in full screen mode will not allow movement of the mouse to other screens. Which is why you run in windowed like you've been doing :)

#4 Komit

Komit

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 05:32 PM

Any program running in full screen mode will not allow movement of the mouse to other screens. Which is why you run in windowed like you've been doing :)

Idunno I figured there may be some way to set them up to allow that.

#5 DocSeuss

DocSeuss

Combine Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 08:45 PM

I run dual 24's. I love it and would not go back. I was contemplating a 30" at the time, but I am glad I went with the two.

I really believe it depends on what you are doing with it. I do all of my coding / photo editing on my rig so it pays off BIG TIME. Having a screen with real time code and syntax/preview on the other helps. If you want it to just use AIM / iTunes on a monitor while gaming on the other I would save your money. Then again if you are buying cheap LCD's it might be worth it. I ended up buying two ~700$ monitors so if you want an IPS I would think hard if its worth it. If you wanna run two 300$ screens, hell might as well do it.

Dave

#6 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:23 PM

I run dual 24's. I love it and would not go back. I was contemplating a 30" at the time, but I am glad I went with the two.

I really believe it depends on what you are doing with it. I do all of my coding / photo editing on my rig so it pays off BIG TIME. Having a screen with real time code and syntax/preview on the other helps. If you want it to just use AIM / iTunes on a monitor while gaming on the other I would save your money. Then again if you are buying cheap LCD's it might be worth it. I ended up buying two ~700$ monitors so if you want an IPS I would think hard if its worth it. If you wanna run two 300$ screens, hell might as well do it.

Dave

Seconded on the cheap screen for the second monitor if you are using it for basic tasks such as web browsing, AIM, vent, etc. I myself use a HP 15" LCD that I got with a bad inverter, 3 dollars later and a week of shipping, it was good as new.

You can find cheap monitors on craigslist for as low as 20$ for a LCD monitor, just keep looking. Also check goodwill on occasion. Even if the monitor doesnt turn on, chances are you can get a controller board or a inverter for pretty much 0 cost to you.

#7 DocSeuss

DocSeuss

Combine Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:33 PM

Seconded on the cheap screen for the second monitor if you are using it for basic tasks such as web browsing, AIM, vent, etc. I myself use a HP 15" LCD that I got with a bad inverter, 3 dollars later and a week of shipping, it was good as new.

You can find cheap monitors on craigslist for as low as 20$ for a LCD monitor, just keep looking. Also check goodwill on occasion. Even if the monitor doesnt turn on, chances are you can get a controller board or a inverter for pretty much 0 cost to you.

I personally would go with two of the same size. However if you just want to use the second as a monitoring screen do as the above. I believe that if you want to use each one as efficient as possible get two with matching sizes.

For the price that you can get a cheap panel you might as well.

Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users