9 replies to this topic

#1 yurec

yurec

Combine Soldier

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 03:27 PM

I need to buy me better RAM. But before I start spending a lot of cash I thought it would be smart to check with smart people about it. Need your suggestions. What it is a good investment will be? Yes and the size of it?

P.S
Mostly it is for Gaming
PC Intel� Pentium� Dual-Core processor E5200; 4GB DDR2 memory
OS (piece of sh*t my personal opinion) Windows Vista 64bit will change it eventually
Vidio Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9 series

CS:S runs grate on it but COD4 have some problems

#2 Novahawk

Novahawk

Beast

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 09:04 PM

Upgrading ram won't give you much/any improvement in games. There are several "9 series" nvidia cards you didn't say which one. If your video card is below a 9800GT, then there is your problem with CoD4. If it is a 9800GT or higher, then your bottleneck would be your processor. 4 Gigs is enough for vista, and going any higher won't net you any improvements.

P.S. Although it does depend on the speed of your RAM. If you have DDR2 800, then you're fine, but if its 667 or 533, then you might actually want to upgrade your RAM to a faster speed. But upgrading your video card would net you the biggest improvement in any case.

#3 �HADOW109

�HADOW109

Inquisitor

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 11:05 PM

Get the EVGA 9800GTX+ or XFX 9800GT

#4 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 11:46 PM

or ya know, an ATI card because my fx60 w/ 2gb ram and 1900xtx runs that game on max with 80+ FPS -_-

#5 yurec

yurec

Combine Soldier

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 01:20 AM

The vidio card i got is 9500GT 1GB. Memory is 667. i wish i knew more about that before i got this one.
Ok if i want to put dual video card with the one i have do i need to go with the same model?

About the ram what brand should i get and what size?

Thanks!

#6 yurec

yurec

Combine Soldier

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 01:23 AM

or ya know, an ATI card because my fx60 w/ 2gb ram and 1900xtx runs that game on max with 80+ FPS -_-

I always liked ATI batter than NVIDIA but dum me bought GeForce. So now I will be paying twice.

#7 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 11:24 AM

Your motherboard has to be SLI compatible first before you can consider running duel cards. Then you need to make sure that your power supply is compatible and can handle the extra power consumption as well.

Not to mention you're better off just buying a new better single card instead of the same old one. Running SLI/Crossfire is most cases nets you a max of 60% performance from the secondary card, so unless you have the money it's a waste in your situation when you can buy a ATi 3870 for $80-$100 or a 4870 for $180-225ish and have a great upgrade there.

As for your ram, if it's 667 speed we'd need to know what motherboard you have to make sure it's even compatible with any higher speed ram. Because if it's not capable of running at the higher BUS Speeds then it will merely slow down the speed of your ram and you'll be in the same place as you were before, just out some cash.

#8 yurec

yurec

Combine Soldier

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 11:38 AM

Well the mistake I made is when I bought this PC already prebuilt. I know mo PS is 800W I had to replays it for GeForce. MB doesn�t even know I will take it apart and see what�s all inside off it. Yeah if I had to replace a lot off sh*t in it, I just going to sell it and start over again.

What are good online stores to go shopping at?

#9 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 12:34 PM

http://www.newegg.com/ usually has the better prices.

#10 yurec

yurec

Combine Soldier

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:41 AM

Sure is good prices. I will try to sell the one i got and then i will build me something nice. Upgrading the one i got will be a waist of money.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users