5 replies to this topic

#1 Armitage

Armitage

Journeyman

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 08:44 PM

so it looks like one of the switches on my network might be on the frits. so i was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a basic switch, i would like an 8 port but it can be a 5. and for all the future responses i do mean a switch, not a router or a hub. i have a router but i need a switch. i have always used cisco or linksys in the past for my own personal gear, but lately i have been so un impressed with linksys gear. if you guys have a brand preference or an actual example, let me know. also if you have an example, i would prefer gigabit since the router i use is and all (but the xbox) of the device that hook to the lan have gigabit (yes i do move a lot of files and media between units), but it doesn't have to be gigabit since my last switch happens to be 10/100. thanks in advanced.

#2 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:12 PM

Switch is a switch, go with d-link, linksys, netgear, any of the big brand. Since it's just a switch and you are looking at 8 ports or less, features will be exactly the same on all of them. Now if you were looking at business class switches, yes, time to look at specs and features. But this is just a simple residential switch, just buy one! No need to scratch your head over on what to get.

Buy what you want :D

#3 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:29 AM

anything with a linux based firmware is what you want, I'm sorry but honestly anybody that uses standard linksys/dlink firmware is a failure imo, why pay 120+ for a quality switch with no hickups when you can get something for like $40 and then flash it into something that performs as good as one of the higher prices *gaming* type ones is beyond me.

#4 wondergod

wondergod

i'm colored

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:39 AM

Switch is a switch, go with d-link, linksys, netgear, any of the big brand. Since it's just a switch and you are looking at 8 ports or less, features will be exactly the same on all of them. Now if you were looking at business class switches, yes, time to look at specs and features. But this is just a simple residential switch, just buy one! No need to scratch your head over on what to get.

Buy what you want :D

yep....indeed.

Also shadow I think your thinking of routers. Residential switches usually have pretty dumb firmware since its just a switch.

#5 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:40 AM

not really, switches can also be flashed to improve performance.

#6 Armitage

Armitage

Journeyman

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:21 PM

well thanks, i guess. i understand that most all basic switches do the same job, i was just wondering if anyone had a specific brand that they liked over all for networking equipment in general. like i had said i used linksys and cisco products (yes same company i know) but lately their routers, well for a while their routers have been really fail for me. i suppose ill just buy the one i was looking at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users