8 replies to this topic

#1 Vicious

Vicious

Combine Zombie

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 11:43 PM

Ok, so here's the thing, today I noticed my computer was being slow. I haven't restarted it in awhile so I figured I'd do that. Before I did that I went "hey, I think I might as well restart in safe mode and do a full system scan, clean, defrag, etc" as I like to do every now and again. Before I did that I decide "well let's see what's on start up" and decided I'd turn off most of the start up sh*t except the essentials (things windows needs to start up, didn't touch that nor the virus scanners and spyware crap, just turned off things like Trillian, Skype, etc on start up). I did notice something in my start up that said "nvcpl" and I did search and heard it was a virus/trojan but also heard it might be something for NVidia (which was never on before when I checked my start up menu) so disabled that on start up too, just incase. So I updated my virus scanner and spyware scanners before restarting and then hit restart.

Well, computer shuts down and begins to reboot, everything is on, HDs are spinning and sh*t, but the monitor is completely black. I looked inside and saw the LEDs on my motherboard going through -- 23 45 and C0 a lot. Usually it goes through all that and then stops and stays at FF which I've been told is good, means essentially "fully functional" (here I always thought it was something hex-wise lol)

Well, waited awhile, nothing still coming up, turned everything off, unplugged all the cables, disconnected power to everything inside and did a complete clean of any dust in there and reconnected everything to make sure it was working.

I've yet to do a memory test (taking out various ram chips and trying one at a time) and I haven't tried another monitor yet (going to tomorrow once I dig one out of my storage). Currently posting on my dad's computer (I'm a college student and cheap, so live with my dad lol). He said we'll look at it tomorrow and get a friend of his and use the linux box to check the HDs just to make sure, but figured I'd post here incase you guys had more ideas.

I plan to uninstall EVERYTHING (as in usncrew everything) and try reinstalling all the hardware incase something got jarred/loose and is causing a short.

I've heard things that claim the motherboard coulda gone bad, the graphics card, the ram, the processor, etc but I don't think that's the problem. It was all working fine prior to the restart so ya, I'm stumped. Suggestions?

Motherboard: Foxconn CS1XEM2AA
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS
Ram: G.Skill 3GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM

Edited by Vicious, 25 October 2009 - 08:55 AM.

#2 Vicious

Vicious

Combine Zombie

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:28 PM

Well, turns out it's my graphics card soo.. time to get a new one. I just am not sure if this GeForce 9600 GT 512MB GDDR3 Graphics Card will work well with my motherboard lol. I think it will but since I'm low on money doing some searching to make sure. Anyone know for sure? (My motherboard is in my first post)

#3 MainEvent

MainEvent

God of the Godless

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:49 PM

Make sure your mobo can support PCI Express 2.0 x16.

#4 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:50 AM

Make sure your mobo can support PCI Express 2.0 x16.

Just PCI Express x16 slot, 2.0 is just increased bandwidth. Just like AGP, it never was maxed out until the end of it's lifespan, most AGP cards could run in 2x or 4x mode just fine. Same will happen with PCI express, there is so much available bandwidth, it wont be until the very end of it's life cycle and has already been replaced will we see cards that will take up all available bandwidth.

As for the board supporting it, will run just fine. Just ignore main, we keep him around to make the room seem more full.

#5 Vicious

Vicious

Combine Zombie

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:12 PM

I figured it'd run just fine so I ordered it last night. Should be here Thursday so I can be back on and b*tch about AKs being cheap and game mechancis being fail yet still not able to shake my CS addiction lol. At least my computer's getting a better graphics card.

And ya, I know I just need to worry if it's a PCI express slot. Which I have two of for SLI and awesome such crap. If I can get another graphics card or something I might make use of it lol.

#6 MainEvent

MainEvent

God of the Godless

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 02:06 PM

Just ignore main, we keep him around to make the room seem more full.

Better than not being wanted at all :grin:

#7 Jack

Jack

The Uncola

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 05:56 PM

it wasnt the card, welcome to shadows botnet :tup:

#8 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck