12 replies to this topic

#1 RogueAlly

RogueAlly

Lurker+

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 12:36 AM

So the title says it all, I'm getting pretty serious about picking up my first bike. I really want to get a Harley Sportster Iron 883, but figure it is probably not the best bike to learn on. The way I figure it, I'll be saving for the next 6 months and pick up a used bike in the winter. I'll spend a bit of time learning (hopefully not laying it down too many times) and then upgrading to that Harley.

My question for all of you is this: what should I be looking for to start on and what did you do/should have done in my position?

I'm not terribly worried about speed/power, I just want a nice(ish) bike to learn with. I'm 6'3" and have never been on a bike, both my grandfathers, several uncles, and my father have owned bikes in the past... but not in my memory. I'm trying to schedule a safety course in the near future, but wanted to get some input on bikes before I go.

Oh, and if anyone has an opinion/review of the 883 I'd love to hear about it!

#2 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 01:48 AM

Being tall, ride the bike before you buy anything. Lots of bikes, specially sportster and croch rockets, are built for smaller people. (In your case, stay away from anything Ducatti unless your under 6' or prepare to be very uncomfortable.)

Get a fucking helmet.

Progressive is probably the best insurance company to go with for motorcycles.

Do a class. You skip all the DMV bullshit and save on your insurance.

For a starter bike, get something around 600-750cc. It's not a whole lot of power, but it's enough to keep you from getting bored with it off the bat and will teach you how to handle power properly.

#3 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:44 AM

No offense to harley but the price for those are way bloated. Yamaha and suzuki both have good bikes too, its just it wont break your bank as bad. Things id look for though is if the bike has dual brake pads on the front wheel, and a somewhat matching tire size width wise compared to the rear tire. Ive seen bikes with one disc break pull the wheel to one side when breaking, i dont like that crap, plus its not good for a new driver.

And yah get a helmet and dont think ur gonna go 500 mph and win the f*cking race... in reality you run head first into a ford explorer and die instantly. Happend to a friend of mine.

#4 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 01:45 PM

No offense to harley but the price for those are way bloated. Yamaha and suzuki both have good bikes too, its just it wont break your bank as bad.

I'd say the same thing too about overpriced Harley, but the 883 are actually their reasonable bikes. Like $7-8,000 new. A good Honda is going to be in the same price range new and if you go used you're still going to be in the same ranges.

Now if he was going for a Soft Tail or something, yeah, avoid its overpriced-ness and go with Honda or something.

#5 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 02:18 PM

Friend of mine got a yamaha roadstar, yah not what ur lookin for but damn its just like a harley and he payed wayyyyyyyy less for it. 1700 engine.. sounded so nice. It was used, he paid like $3k for it, only couple years old.

#6 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 03:15 PM

Friend of mine got a yamaha roadstar, yah not what ur lookin for but damn its just like a harley and he payed wayyyyyyyy less for it. 1700 engine.. sounded so nice. It was used, he paid like $3k for it, only couple years old.

Of course it was cheap, it was used and a few years old. And I'm guessing by a couple, you ment somewhere around 10 years. Cause I really doubt that a bike that normally starts around the $10,000 mark new was being let go for only $3k after only 1-2 years. Unless it had an astronomical amount of miles on it, it was stolen, something was wrong with the bike, or the guy just was so rich he didn't care.

Besides, you can find a 883 with 4-5 years on it for $4,000 and 1700cc for a new rider is overkill and dangerous.

#7 Halcomb

Halcomb

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 03:16 PM

Get a 750 because as soon as you get used to riding a 600 you'll want something bigger.

#8 RogueAlly

RogueAlly

Lurker+

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 08:47 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys, I'll take it all under advisement while I sort through what I need. I've wandered through a few places checking out bikes and whatnot, but the Harley is the first thing that resonated with me.

Finding a cheap 883 will be something to look into certainly, but I'll keep my eyes open for some easier bikes in the meantime. I wish I could find some stats on bike to get an understandable measure of their speed/power. Having never been on one its hard to attempt to come to terms with their characteristics.

#9 RogueAlly

RogueAlly

Lurker+

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 06:39 PM

I picked up a Kawasaki kz440 ltd for $700, it ought to last me through learning and then help me getter a better idea of where to go from there. Really what sold me was how comfortable I was on it, thanks for the advice :tup:

Edited by RogueAlly, 08 July 2010 - 06:39 PM.

#10 MainEvent

MainEvent

God of the Godless

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 02:43 PM

Pics.

#11 RogueAlly

RogueAlly

Lurker+

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:28 PM

When it stops raining constantly I'll take some, I took delivery the other day :)

#12 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:55 AM

nice.

#13 MainEvent

MainEvent

God of the Godless

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 06:18 AM

When it stops raining constantly I'll take some, I took delivery the other day :)

Awesome. I shall wait for this day.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users