• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tury

tury

Journeyman

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 06:02 AM

My 3500 Clawhammer bottled out at around 2.5 Ghz, and I heard these 3000 Venice's were pretty decent overclockers so i picked one up along with a Thermalright XP-120. The total cost was STILL �30 less than what i had orignally paid for the 3500, so was quite happy when it ran the same speed i could get out of my old one, but with default voltage :1:

These babies are sweet, added 0.1v on the core, and its runs 2.8ghz no probs. It's a little flaky sometimes at post screen, but i think thats because my PSU can't handle the power drain at startup (hard drive spin up, etc)

This cpu is running faster than a 4000 now, except it has less cache so it's not actually faster performance wise, but its bloody close!

check it out :1:

Posted Image

#2 Wolfman

Wolfman

Lurker

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 12:46 PM

My 3500 Clawhammer bottled out at around 2.5 Ghz, and I heard these 3000 Venice's were pretty decent overclockers so i picked one up  along with a Thermalright XP-120. The total cost was STILL �30 less than what i had orignally paid for the 3500, so was quite happy when it ran the same speed i could get out of my old one, but with default voltage  :1:

These babies are sweet, added 0.1v on the core, and its runs 2.8ghz no probs. It's a little flaky sometimes at post screen, but i think thats because my PSU can't handle the power drain at startup (hard drive spin up, etc)

This cpu is running faster than a 4000 now, except it has less cache so it's not actually faster performance wise, but its bloody close!

check it out  :1:
Posted Image

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

how are you overclocking?

#3 tury

tury

Journeyman

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 01:24 PM

how are you overclocking?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

through the bios settings. On abit boards, its usually in a section called uGuru, and on others probably frequency and voltage controls.

if you feel like having a play around, then try changing the CPU FSB (Front Side Bus, also called External Frequency). do it in 3 Mhz increments, you should be able to get a little bit of an overclock with the stock heatsink and fan, without changing voltages with relatively low risk.

Mind you, if it doesnt boot, you have to clear CMOS, which sucks.....

Have a play around, or check out some articles regarding you motherboard/processor, they usually give you a rough idea of what you can achieve, and some tips :1:

Edited by tury, 09 July 2005 - 01:24 PM.

#4 Wolfman

Wolfman

Lurker

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 01:26 PM

through the bios settings. On abit boards, its usually in a section called uGuru, and on others probably frequency and voltage controls.

if you feel like having a play around, then try changing the CPU FSB (Front Side Bus, also called External Frequency). do it in 3 Mhz increments, you should be able to get a little bit of an overclock with the stock heatsink and fan, without changing voltages with relatively low risk.

Mind you, if it doesnt boot, you have to clear CMOS, which sucks.....

Have a play around, or check out some articles regarding you motherboard/processor, they usually give you a rough idea of what you can achieve, and some tips  :1:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks.

#5 tury

tury

Journeyman

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 01:29 PM

Just to follow up by the way:

My cpu runs much faster in CPU intensive tests (i can SuperPI 1M in 31 seconds now, down from 36 with my CH at 2.5ghz), but in 3dmark, i only get an extra 2 3dmarks ( :tdown: ) even though i overclocked the graphics card a little more aswell.

This has led me to believe that the memory speed is what is holding me back... at the moment, i have it running at 200 mhz, with cl 3 and relaxed settings, because this is the stock spd settings of this ram.

I was thinking about lowering the speed to say 166, and giving it some tighter timings, maybe it will get it up a bit.... ill keep you posted....

btw my current 3dmark03 score is like 11850... dunno how that compares, since i cant access the orb to upload my results :9:

#6 R.I.O.S

R.I.O.S

Lurker

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 12:40 PM

3dmark 03 is more graphics limited, doesn't gain much from cpu. Also I noticed, in 3dmark, 512-1MB cache = about 2000 points (in 01 at least). In other 3dtests I have run, 512-1MB cache is equal to about 200MHz.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users