#1 S.W.A.T. 2.0

S.W.A.T. 2.0

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 05:33 PM

Question,

What is the best type of broadband internet connection? What is the best brand?

I've heard that Comcast Digital Cable is the best you can get but I'm unsure. My sister loves her DSL...

The new apartment will be equipped with high speed internet. It's been too damn long since I've been able to play CS.

#2 IWantWhiteCastle

IWantWhiteCastle

I Know the Slyder Secret

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 06:22 PM

verizon has fios(fiber optics) now which is quite fast and cheap, i havent really heard any users comment on it though so i dont know how it is. Connection speed is 5Mbps for the one thats like 30-40 bucks a month, and 15Mbps for like 50 bucks a month.

#3 secondshadow

secondshadow

BITE ME

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 07:14 PM

is 300kb/sec a good connection for like $25 a month?

#4 IWantWhiteCastle

IWantWhiteCastle

I Know the Slyder Secret

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 07:33 PM

is 300kb/sec a good connection for like $25 a month?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yes, i have the same connection and pay $50 a month...

#5 NC Derek

NC Derek

tired of boss crap

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 09:01 PM

for cable, ive had earthlink for a while its nice. 40 a month, first 3 months were free. but now im at ncsu, and i get lan, so 55.5 mb/sec

#6 Aziz

Aziz

Ё-Ж-И-К

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,253 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 09:12 PM

i have comcast. im happy. :dork:

#7 S.W.A.T. 2.0

S.W.A.T. 2.0

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 09:16 PM

Speed-wise what's the best bang for the buck? I didn't know Verizon did wireless internet.

And what do you all use? What's your brand Shadow?

#8 Frag0holic

Frag0holic

I AM DEATH INCARNATE

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 10:02 PM

Whatever you do, DON'T GET SPRINT DSL!! I'm gonna try to get Comcast cable soon, faster and so much more stable.

#9 cheeseSNIPeR

cheeseSNIPeR

Lurker

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 10:16 PM

Well if you're looking for quality of connection and overall speed, it can depend highly on where you are located and how many people are in your area. If you have cable available and not many people around, cable is definitly your best bet. If there a lot of people online with cable all the time, speed may drop below DSL speed. There are higher speed DSL subscriptions available, and some do rival cable.

Overall with speed, avoid anything wireless. Wireless is slower than most broadband, yet faster than dial-up, so only use it if theres no other real options. Wireless although fast can also have horrid ping times.

DSL is a dedicated line to your house. It does not matter how many people are in the area, your connection will be the same speed regardless. However 99.9% of the time cable will beat it by default.

Personally, go with a cable subscription, depending on how much money you are willing to spend you can upgrade to a gold connection, which is faster but also more expensive. If you're willing to get into a contract for a year for 15 a month and DSL is acceptable to you, then go with that. Just realize that if you want phone converstaions to be clear you are going to have to pick up some DSL filters, and mind you they are not cheap. If you are tapping off of a t1 line don't worry about it.

Hope it helps.

#10 secondshadow

secondshadow

BITE ME

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 11:36 PM

i got the yahoo dsl premium pack its just $10 more then the normal offer so 300kb/sec and its pretty fast sh*t for $25

#11 S.W.A.T. 2.0

S.W.A.T. 2.0

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 12:44 PM

I mean, it doesn't have to be blazingly fast. I just want to keep my ping low (in college my average ping was about 30-45, thank you T3). What kb/s speed am I looking at to keep it below 100? I don't download movies/music very often so that's not a huge thing. Online gaming is what the high speed would be mostly for.

I live in the heart of Birmingham, AL (about a million people around me) so I'm not imagining that cable would be blazingly fast, but probably not too terribly bad. Like I said, I just want it "fast enough."

And the DSL filter wouldn't be necessary since we don't have telephones. I got rid of mine when I got my new cell.

#12 IWantWhiteCastle

IWantWhiteCastle

I Know the Slyder Secret

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 12:58 PM

basic broadband connection like i got, i can download from 200-300kb per second, and my ping is usually in the 30-40 range. Only probably with broadband is if there are a lot of users using it at the same time you will lag, but there arent that many broadband users around my house so i dont have to deal with that usually.

#13 Frag0holic

Frag0holic

I AM DEATH INCARNATE

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 02:11 PM

Well with my 0.5mbit piece-of-sh*t (theoretically 50kb/s) I get pings around 110-150. So to get an acceptable ping; say around 60, you should probably aim somewhere around 3-4mbit which you can find pretty cheap I think.

#14 S.W.A.T. 2.0

S.W.A.T. 2.0

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 06:27 PM

Well with my 0.5mbit piece-of-sh*t (theoretically 50kb/s) I get pings around 110-150. So to get an acceptable ping; say around 60, you should probably aim somewhere around 3-4mbit which you can find pretty cheap I think.

Well that's not too bad. I've heard people saying alot of good things on my hardware forum about Verizon's fiber optic connection, but I'm not sure they offer it here...so that may do me no good.

How many megabits is a typical DSL line running at?

#15 Frag0holic

Frag0holic

I AM DEATH INCARNATE

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 08:00 PM

I dunno man.. But whatever you get be sure to check the upload speed because it is even more important than download in CS:S. I saw Comcast have "4mbit cable", but they write in fine print at the bottom that it is 300-something-kbits upload, which is just horrible.

#16 mattr1

mattr1

Cappettaaa

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 08:39 PM

i have charter cable... i live in vermont, there isnt even half a million people here and i still get great ping... i got digital cable and stuff with it too, i dont really know any technical terms but my stuff works really well.

#17 S.W.A.T. 2.0

S.W.A.T. 2.0

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 12:55 PM

basic broadband connection like i got, i can download from 200-300kb per second, and my ping is usually in the 30-40 range. Only probably with broadband is if there are a lot of users using it at the same time you will lag, but there arent that many broadband users around my house so i dont have to deal with that usually.

What kind of connection do you have?

#18 Unk

Unk

Combine Soldier

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 08:19 PM

If it is availible in your area, I recommend Cox Cable. I get banging service (Cable modem/Wireless) and if I have problems I call and they send someone out to my house to fix it. The connection is great as well as the service. Check it out, Cox Communications, they should pay me for advertising, heh. Hope it helps you out SWAT.

#19 IWantWhiteCastle

IWantWhiteCastle

I Know the Slyder Secret

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 08:31 PM

What kind of connection do you have?

sry, didnt see the post.

I have MidHudson cable's broadband service. Their like partners with Vonage if you havent heard of them.

Downstream = 3 megs
Upstream = 256k

wish i lived in range to get verizon fios...the cheap package thats 10 bucks less then what im paying is:
Downstream = 5 megs
Upstream = 2 megs

Edited by IWantWhiteCastle, 19 September 2005 - 08:34 PM.

#20 Frag0holic

Frag0holic

I AM DEATH INCARNATE

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 09:36 PM

How is that 256k up?? Do you get good ping on CS and can you D/L on torrents at good speed? If so I might get Comcasts 4/.378 mbit service..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users