9 replies to this topic

#1 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 06:23 AM

Currently Im wanting to switch from AGP to PCI-E... since I dont feel like keeping my current CPU [FX-51 @ 2.52Hz] and remove my ECC ram... I would think to go with either another FX series s939 90nm core... Im leaning towards the FX 55 or 57... just not its price, Overclocking is a very easy option with my Vapochill lightSpeed LS... -24/-40c at full load... but with Duel Core X2's and 4800 venice, I dunno what a good Option would be... first time Ive ever actually thought about it some and I still cant think what would be better...

#2 IWantWhiteCastle

IWantWhiteCastle

I Know the Slyder Secret

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 09:11 AM

im pretty split between the dual cores and the single core fx series..like currently the fx's are more powerful(for gaming anyways) but in the future they most likely will not be soo..but definitly go to pci-e

#3 keira

keira

Journeyman

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 09:53 AM

http://www.tomshardw...x2_3800-07.html

comprehensive article. A bit outdated (August 1) but enough information so that you understand the whole picture.

#4 kidcapri

kidcapri

Human Shield

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 04:30 PM

If i had that kind of money I would go with either the fx 55 or 57. Because at this point the dual cores are pretty useless unless your doing some crazy multitasking like video or graphics editing. The fx cpus kill the dual cores right now for gaming. Just my opinion. Really depends on if you do alot of multitasking.

#5 LucyTheProfessional

LucyTheProfessional

Lurker

• Banned
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 08:25 PM

If you insist on wasting that kind of money (I think the FX series is a bit of a waste, I don't think the unlocked multiplier is worth an extra $400 or whatever it is now) then I'd definitely suggest an X2. An FX-57 may gain you a few FPS now, but for the sake of future-proofing, the X2 is a far better upgrade path. Then again, either way it'll be out of date next year, since AMD is moving to yet another new socket design so it's kind of a moot point.

That's one vote for an X2, but I am all about serious overclocking so I think a 3200+ is the best option =D. OC it like a mofo!

Either way, have fun with your hideously expensive but awesome PC.

#6 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 08:28 PM

only Reason to think of a duel core would be because im sure as hell getting a x1800 xt

#7 NC Derek

NC Derek

tired of boss crap

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 09:21 PM

why are you upgrading to a x1800 if you have a x800xt pe? ill get the best ati next time i upgrade. but thers no game that wouldnt run on high with a nice fps with the card you got. i know you already know all this, but im just suprised youre upgrading.

#8 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 05:06 AM

Because the X1800xt is actually near twice as fast... and has SM3.0 and other various upgrades...

#9 IWantWhiteCastle

IWantWhiteCastle

I Know the Slyder Secret

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 09:16 AM

plus its pci-e

#10 ShLoNkY

ShLoNkY

I <3 t3h Internets

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 05:00 PM

Youll get better framerate with a higher clocked CPU. Dual CPUs with lower framerate wont do anything for gaming. (i currently own a Tyan Tiger dual athlon MP 2600 rig) Since virtually nothing games wise actually takes advantage of dual cpus, for the mean time: go with an FX. An insanely overclocked FX wil outperform even a fast X2 on MOST things (save rendering or encoding). With either option: i wouldnt worry about future-proofing, cuz youll have a badass box anyways and if your spending that kinda money you prolly dont care if you have to upgrade in a year or two anyways. Check out the MSI k8n neo4 sli ( i hate nvidia and use ATI) but i have owned 2 MSI socket 939 boards and they are pretty good. To be perfectly honest with you id wait a while before you upgraded. This type of upgrade would be pretty costly and i think youd be dissapointed cuz your performance increase wouldnt be that great (considering your current setup is most kickass) I have a similar setup processor/videocard wise as you and its MORE than enough balls for everything i play. Id get 2 76gb WD Raptors and setup a RAID if you really wanted a noticeable, overall, performance gain.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users