• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Dialamo

Dialamo

Lurker

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 07:58 PM

Well, I got some money after my birthday and my computer is in dire need of a new graphics card. So I need help with buying the best AGP card possible for $200 (Canadian) or under. Here is a nice card I found at a online store, but I need more sugestions, choices, and advice. I am looking for better performance in CSS and to be able to play BF2.

http://www.tigerdire...1019113&CatId=0

My current Computer Specs
-Dell Dimension 4300
-Pentium 4 1.6 GHZ
-Windows XP Home with SP2
-256MB SDRAM (Soon to be 512 when I install GFX card)
-Nvidia GeForce 2 400/MX 32MB

Before you reply, I have two other questions.

1.If you get a powerful GFX card and your comp is not that great, will it degrade performance?
2.How can I figure out if my current GFX card is intergrated into my PC? I don't wanna buy a card and figure out I can't remove my old one.

Thanks to anyone who replies in advance!!! :1:

Edited by Dialamo, 20 November 2005 - 08:19 PM.

#2 monster

monster

You live on pen island

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 08:13 PM

Buy a 9800 pro, future shop has the All in Wonder version for $199 CDN.

http://www.futuresho...ogon=&langid=EN

#3 Dialamo

Dialamo

Lurker

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 09:54 PM

Buy a 9800 pro, future shop has the All in Wonder version for $199 CDN.
http://www.futuresho...ogon=&langid=EN

Thanks for your sugestion, but do you know the answer to any of the two questions I posted above?

EDIT:sh*t, this card is a good deal! From $399 to $199!!! However, I don't know if it is better than the one I posted above, or is it?

#4 monster

monster

You live on pen island

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 09:57 PM

Well, in your case.

You computer should be ok to run the 9800 pro pretty good. Of course a better computer would run it better, but you will do just fine with your rig.

As far as knowing if it is integrated.... Open your computer. If the plugin that the monitor cord plugs into is a "card" then it can be replaced. If it plugs into the motherboard, then it can only be replaced if there is a brown slot for an agp card.

I'm pretty sure that your card is an agp. It should work out great for you.

EDIT: It's a much better card than the one you posted. The 9800 pro is one of the best "bang for your buck" cards out there. Just off the cusp of great performance, with fairly reasonable prices. It's a few generations old, but it's worth it.

Edited by monster, 20 November 2005 - 09:58 PM.

#5 NC Derek

NC Derek

tired of boss crap

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 10:01 PM

i have the 9800xt. which is a little better than the pro but its more money. its great. with my 9800 i can run any game on the highest, you name it...bf2, hl2, doom3 on ultra, fear on max. its great. sure thats with 30-40 avg fps, but thats worth it. itll last you a whyile before it gets out dated. good recommendation for under 200. now its not the best card for sure, buts its worth 200. :tup:

#6 ShLoNkY

ShLoNkY

I <3 t3h Internets

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 10:03 PM

Yeah make sure you actually have an AGP slot. If your mobo has onboard video you have to disable it in the bios when you install your card. I agree with Monster that the 9800 pro is the best "bang for your buck" card. Your framerate with a faster computer would be GREATLY improved......

#7 monster

monster

You live on pen island

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 10:04 PM

$200 CDN man. That's like about a $165 USD.

#8 Dialamo

Dialamo

Lurker

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 10:22 PM

Thanks for all your advice up to now! I'm looking into the cards reccomended and asking my tech buddy for his thoughts. I can't thank you enough, you were all very helpful!

#9 Sniprwulf

Sniprwulf

demolition expert

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 01:37 AM

yeah 9800 rocks. i needed a new graphics card n just spent a 80 bucks on an nvidia 5700. not hot sh*t but it gets me decent fps. i didnt go buy a solid graphics card 'cause just waitin to buy a new motherboard and a couple pci-e graphics cards. that should last me a longg time. i hope

#10 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 02:56 AM

Heres something for thought, can that peice of sh*t even run AGP 8x? Honestly I'm kind of doubting it, and with such a slow CPU, id say sell it all and just UPGRADE, honestly that CPU / Motherboard must be old as hell, upgrading isnt worth it because you can buy something 10x as good for cheap as hell.

But if your truely hellbent on upgrading, go with the 9600 XT because the 9800 would just get bottlenecked by ur CPU.

#11 NC Derek

NC Derek

tired of boss crap

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 08:45 AM

never mind i was thinking anti alieasing, not agp. my bad. im a dumbass

Edited by NC Derek, 21 November 2005 - 12:16 PM.

#12 monster

monster

You live on pen island

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 09:56 AM

Derek.... you are confused. AGP 8X is how fast the agp port is.

MOBO's have 2, 4, or 8x (most new ones only 4 or 8).

You must be thinking of AA or AF.

#13 Dialamo

Dialamo

Lurker

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 12:07 PM

Heres something for thought, can that peice of sh*t even run AGP 8x? Honestly I'm kind of doubting it, and with such a slow CPU, id say sell it all and just UPGRADE, honestly that CPU / Motherboard must be old as hell, upgrading isnt worth it because you can buy something 10x as good for cheap as hell.

But if your truely hellbent on upgrading, go with the 9600 XT because the 9800 would just get bottlenecked by ur CPU.

Yep, it can run AGP 8x. I checked that by looking at my computer specs in ASTRA32.

Hmm...now what you are asying is that the 9800 will get bottlenecked by my CPU, but monster said the 9800 will run just fine. Whats up with that?

#14 NC Derek

NC Derek

tired of boss crap

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 01:17 PM

whats up with it is both are right. monster is going to give you a positive review bc of the amount of money you are wiling to spend plus he used to have that card. i still do. i love it. now shadow calling it a piece of sh*t, come from him haveing a 10,000 dollar computer and everything we have is sh*t. am i right?

you might want a gig of ram rather than upgrading from a forth to a half. new games now recommend 2 gigs. and unreal tourn 2007 will blow us all away.

Edited by NC Derek, 21 November 2005 - 01:18 PM.

#15 IWantWhiteCastle

IWantWhiteCastle

I Know the Slyder Secret

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 02:42 PM

whats up with it is both are right. monster is going to give you a positive review bc of the amount of money you are wiling to spend plus he used to have that card. i still do. i love it. now shadow calling it a piece of sh*t, come from him haveing a 10,000 dollar computer and everything we have is sh*t. am i right?

you might want a gig of ram rather than upgrading from a forth to a half. new games now recommend 2 gigs. and unreal tourn 2007 will blow us all away.

shadow was not calling your card a piece of sh*t, he was calling dialamo's computer a piece of sh*t. I as well would be quite surprised if that computer had an AGP 8x slot. Shadow was saying that the 9800 would not be running at its true potential because of how slow your cpu, and the 9600 would probably seem to have the same performance..making the 9600 a better choice.

#16 ShLoNkY

ShLoNkY

I <3 t3h Internets

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 02:52 PM

They would both be bottlenecked by your CPU. The 9800s architechure was, no doubt, designed to work with faster cpu speeds, therefore you may see similar ersults with the 9600. Id still get the 9800 pro (256 mb if you can) and build yourself a new computer down the road.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users