16 replies to this topic

#1 NC Derek

NC Derek

tired of boss crap

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 07:34 PM

Hey im just curious because im on my first computer. i wasnt planning on it anytime soon, but wanted to know what you all do. how often do you guys upgrade or how often do you start from scratch? like once a year or every three years...? :dork:

#2 kidcapri

kidcapri

Human Shield

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 10:06 PM

I upgrade whenever I have the money pretty much. I don't just by a whole new computer all at once. Its so much cheaper just to change different parts out.

#3 NC Derek

NC Derek

tired of boss crap

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 10:14 PM

yeah...i have an AGP motherboard and a 3.06 pent 4 processor so the best card would require a new motherboard, processor to get the best of it, and prob more fans and a new processor, so ill prob start from scratch once vista comes out next year and the next gen processors and cards or whatever is out then.

#4 Billy Pumper

Billy Pumper

Lord of the Posts

• Dedicated Member
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 11:09 PM

upgrade when i have the money. i start from scratch every 2,3 years depending on how full my cpu is of random dumbsh*t

#5 monster

monster

You live on pen island

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 12:51 AM

I upgrade continually throughout the year, depending on how much I need the upgrade, and how much $ I have.

But, every summer I do an overhaul. Depending on the technology and my current system, I usually buy a new mobo, graphics card, and processor.

The case can usually last a few years, the next case / mobo change will be btx.

Ram, hard drives, upgraded mouse, keyboard, etc all get upgraded as needed.... fairly cheap to buy.

Next upgrade will probably be a completely new rig, cause now I have a socket 754 mobo, agp graphics card, and sata hard drives (which are all now obsolete).

Edited by monster, 25 November 2005 - 12:52 AM.

#6 wyte mafia

wyte mafia

|Intelligent| |Design|

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 01:29 AM

i set myself up so i shouldent have to upgrade for at least a year and a half....or something like that.

#7 Billy Pumper

Billy Pumper

Lord of the Posts

• Dedicated Member
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 02:23 AM

i set myself up so i shouldent have to upgrade for at least a year and a half....or something like that.

yeah :20: ok

#8 Aziz

Aziz

Ё-Ж-И-К

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,253 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 02:33 AM

me neither hahaha

if only that was true... but no, im going all out on f*cking clothes and the girl! :dork:

#9 IWantWhiteCastle

IWantWhiteCastle

I Know the Slyder Secret

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 01:54 PM

yeah...i have an AGP motherboard and a 3.06 pent 4 processor so the best card would require a new motherboard, processor to get the best of it, and prob more fans and a new processor, so ill prob start from scratch once vista comes out next year and the next gen processors and cards or whatever is out then.

thats my f*ckin problem, I have outdated sh*t that would require more than one upgrade to get any performance increase, and I just dont have that money. when I get $1000-2000 to spend, ill upgrade :perk:

#10 ShLoNkY

ShLoNkY

I <3 t3h Internets

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 09:51 PM

SATA is obsolete?? I WAS a poor college kid and didnt have money to upgrade. When i did i built a new rig. I have the money to upgrade if need be but prolly wont till my current rig doesnt get good framerate at highest settings on newest games. I get 140+ fps playing CSS all day. ( i spent $1300 on new rig about 6 months ago built from scratch) The slowest itll bog down to during gameplay is around 50. This is PLENTY for now. Since then i upgraded from 9800 pro 256 to new mobo w/pcie and x800. This made a BIG difference and was well worth the $150 i spend. Not worth upgrading unless its worth the money... When the x1800xt when the price drops below $300. This will be unnecessary but ill prolly do it cuz i can.

My rig= 939 64 3200 @ 2.5ghz (faster than 4000+), sata raptor hdd, 1gb descent memory and x800 pro, bios flashed to x800xt pe @ 500gpu/540mem

yes i am a hardware geek.

Edited by ShLoNkY, 26 November 2005 - 09:59 PM.

#11 J.Pizzack

J.Pizzack

Most Hated On

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 05:45 PM

me neither hahaha
... but no, im going all out on f*cking clothes and the girl! :dork:

f*cking the clothes? is that what really turns you on? you gotta bang the sh*t out of yer clothes?

#12 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 11:04 PM

I'm still on my 2 year old Dell (I feel so dirty, just for admitting to that...), While I'm saving up to build my next computer and salavage from this one. Since I did add RAM, and swapped out the video card last year.

#13 kidcapri

kidcapri

Human Shield

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 11:58 PM

Im upgrading for christmas. Im getting some new hard drives, a new processor, motherboard, and a new case. Basically like half of a new computer. Its going to be awesome. I'm getting new clothes and sh*t too, but you gotta leave some for the computer upgrades.

#14 NC Derek

NC Derek

tired of boss crap

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 12:06 AM

yeah ill probably wait until end of 2006. i havnt yet upgraded, and i bought everything august 2004. so evertyhing will be about 2-2.5 years old. i just dont have the money to upgrade all the time. but ill go all out, get the best amd and best ati card and a lcd, now that i know more about parts. i didnt know sh*t, my friend picked out all my parts as you see in my sig. ill just wait for the new video cards, next gen processors and new windows. im sure a new type of motherboard will out too. hopefully more games will be out that do 64 bit and 512mb gaming.

#15 J.Pizzack

J.Pizzack

Most Hated On

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 03:09 PM

i ordered my new parts a few weeks ago and i just threw it together today. ive never used an intel b4 but my roomate is a geek squad agent guy and he got a discount i used for a Pentium Dual core 2.8 and the compatible MoBo they make for it. i also got some new ocz dual channel memory, and a 6600gt, which is much better than what i was workin with. at all high res. and settings in cs:s i was hittin like 80-90 fps...so im happy w/ that.
and WoW looks incredible with this new gfx card hehe
but in total for all those parts i spent $490.00

#16 vet.mad hatter

vet.mad hatter

the real hatter

• Server Admin+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 03:41 PM

SATA is obsolete?? I WAS a poor college kid and didnt have money to upgrade. When i did i built a new rig. I have the money to upgrade if need be but prolly wont till my current rig doesnt get good framerate at highest settings on newest games. I get 140+ fps playing CSS all day. ( i spent $1300 on new rig about 6 months ago built from scratch) The slowest itll bog down to during gameplay is around 50. This is PLENTY for now. Since then i upgraded from 9800 pro 256 to new mobo w/pcie and x800. This made a BIG difference and was well worth the $150 i spend. Not worth upgrading unless its worth the money... When the x1800xt when the price drops below $300. This will be unnecessary but ill prolly do it cuz i can.

My rig= 939 64 3200 @ 2.5ghz (faster than 4000+), sata raptor hdd, 1gb descent memory and x800 pro, bios flashed to x800xt pe @ 500gpu/540mem

yes i am a hardware geek.

i have 800xl and want to flash it but everywhere i read they say dont do it?? and i have amd 3200 winchester with foxxcon motherboard cant get it past 2.1 stable??what kind of motherboard do you have?/
And i upgrade when its been out long enough like i waited for the 939 cause 754 was a joke agp haha??and when prices dropp after christmas tax season!

#17 iMSeRiOuS

iMSeRiOuS

Ant Lion Guard

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 04:38 PM

I upgrade for christmas and my birthday... thats how often i upgrade....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users