24 replies to this topic

#1 Billy Pumper

Billy Pumper

Lord of the Posts

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 12:01 PM

i was thinking that we may need to implement some kind of policy or rules for new members. i am not saying we change how ppl join but when they do join they should be able to read a letter explaing how sh*t works around here cause right now they are relying on word of mouth from the regulars and what is told to them in their initial post "welcome post"

This is from another forum that i am a member of, i am not suggesting that we steal theirs, but that maybe we could use it as someting to think about. anyway i changed it around so that we could look at it.

if you don't like this idea then whatever i just thought i would throw it up there

Dear Meber,

Thanks for registering at BoSS-Gamers! We are glad you have chosen to be a part of our community and we hope you enjoy your stay. Before you do, please read the following.

Its for your own good!

This is to encourage you to read the forums some before you start spewing whatever gibberish you think everyone else wants to hear about. We've had way too many problems with people joining up and not taking the time to get a feel for the community climate here which inevitably results in a ban. Please take this time to lurk a bit and read the Announcements and Policy forum to familiarize yourself with some of the new rules. Hopefully you'll get a feel for the community before you make a bad first impression.

BoSS-Gamers represents a close-knit Internet community that spans back to the early days of the World Wide Web, and as any other similar unit, had developed its own culture and values. What that means for you as a new member is that you should try and show respect to the community you are joining or they will descend upon you like a wolf among sheep and you may find yourself a pariah rather quickly.

The BoSS-Gamers community is always happy to take new members into their ranks as long as the new members are willing to contribute something to the community other than stupidity. During your first few months here, you can earn the respect of the posters here by making clever, interesting posts, helping when people ask for it, avoiding any attention whoring, and staying away from the condition known as 'Member Diarrhea' whereby new posters sometimes feel the need to spam the hell out of the forums with a bunch of crap for reasons unknown. In short, be cool.

thks

#2 -Knightmare-

-Knightmare-

Lurker

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 12:16 PM

you really think someone's going to read ALL that? :19:

Edited by -Knightmare-, 24 December 2005 - 12:16 PM.

#3 Billy Pumper

Billy Pumper

Lord of the Posts

• Dedicated Member
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 12:21 PM

well at this point when a member does something wrong they say "im sorry i didn't know" but if we put something for them to read then it is on their backs if they don't read it f*ck them. i mean if you want to join a community how hard is it to read for 2 mins.

you wouldn't get a drivers license without reading/learning the rules.

#4 Novahawk

Novahawk

Beast

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 12:23 PM

I think that that is a good idea.. adn i also think that people should stay active on the forums to remain BoSS.. you know there are only what like 20 people out of the 1000 that are active.. and those others are just registered for the tag.. and i dont think thats cool...

#5 Billy Pumper

Billy Pumper

Lord of the Posts

• Dedicated Member
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 12:32 PM

yeah that is something that we could work into the rules if shadow wanted, but like i said its up to him. i don't mind ppl playing with the tag and not posting but they should not expect special treatment when they have been registered for 5 months and have 3 posts.

#6 ashbash

ashbash

- The English Wanker -

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 12:54 PM

Go billy go

Btw u have AIDs

#7 J.Pizzack

J.Pizzack

Most Hated On

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 12:57 PM

yea i think its a pretty good idea if Shadow were to implement something similar to that. some dedicated members make their presence known on vent, some more so on the forums. but theres people you see make an introduction post, and that pretty much the end of that....

#8 IWantWhiteCastle

IWantWhiteCastle

I Know the Slyder Secret

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 12:59 PM

I think that that is a good idea.. adn i also think that people should stay active on the forums to remain BoSS.. you know there are only what like 20 people out of the 1000 that are active.. and those others are just registered for the tag.. and i dont think thats cool...

I agree..this reminds me of Justin Sane when he's like "well just because I dont post or go on vent, I'm am active on the servers." or something along those lines. If I play on a different clan pub often does that mean I am in their clan and should be able to wear there tag? No. I dont feel this is any different. (I wanted to post this in that other topic but it got closed lol)

Billys idea is good :tup:

Edited by IWantWhiteCastle, 24 December 2005 - 12:59 PM.

#9 Aziz

Aziz

Ё-Ж-И-К

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,253 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 01:27 PM

Especially since its not that much to read... takes about 20 seconds. Anyway, there can be a base welcoming responce (so we would not have to re-write that every time) -- admin would change the name and post it.

#10 Billy Pumper

Billy Pumper

Lord of the Posts

• Dedicated Member
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 01:34 PM

not even that just add "policy" to Announcments. and sticky it that way it is in the first section and the first thing they see when they look at the forums. and all we would have to do is when they join is say "welcome ...blah blah blah, and make sure to read the policies and announcements" easy as pie

#11 Aziz

Aziz

Ё-Ж-И-К

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,253 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 01:38 PM

The thing is that they do have to read something before they join..

#12 Billy Pumper

Billy Pumper

Lord of the Posts

• Dedicated Member
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 01:43 PM

apparently its not quite getting through

#13 NC Derek

NC Derek

tired of boss crap

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 01:59 PM

i definitely think its good to have something like that to new registers. maybe also something that says do not register to complain...

#14 Frag0holic

Frag0holic

I AM DEATH INCARNATE

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 03:26 PM

you wouldn't get a drivers license without reading/learning the rules.

That's how I got my Florida driver's licence :P

But in all sincerity this would be really good to implement... It's really tiresome when every new member starts spamming old dead topics and make their own useless sh*t-topics. No offence, I understand some ppl aren't used to forums (I wasn't either when I joined)

#15 Billy Pumper

Billy Pumper

Lord of the Posts

• Dedicated Member
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 03:37 PM

Blackhawk, i realize that i came off as an asshole and i am sorry for that. its not just you it has been a compilation of a bunch of new members doing the same thing you did. It was just that you posted a welcome to a guy who was banned. I know your young and maybe not sure how forums work so na hard feelings just i think its time we do something about this

#16 mattr1

mattr1

Cappettaaa

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 03:44 PM

It is a greaaat idea actually. I'd have an e-mail sent to the person that is registering, or maybe an auto-PM type of deal.

props billy. :tup:

#17 MoRRiS

MoRRiS

Lurker

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 04:03 PM

It is a greaaat idea actually. I'd have an e-mail sent to the person that is registering, or maybe an auto-PM type of deal.

That would probably be a good way to do it too. In all yeah Billy, it is a good idea. I mean I am new this is maybe the end of my second or third week, but even I have some common sense. Maybe it's because I've been on forums and CS clans since 1.3 but either way alot of these new members need to just chill out and actually dedicate themselves to the BoSS Community. Some people recently as well have mainly just made an "introduce yourself" and just wear the BoSS tag in servers. No vent, or forum posts..I forget who already touched up on that but it is somewhat a problem, especially if they go running around saying how much of a BoSS they are or giving other Pubbies false info. The registering just to complain about a ban problem and all is kind of lame too. I see a new un-ban post almost everyday.
In all it is Shadow's decision but i definately think it would be a good idea. Something needs to be done.

#18 Billy Pumper

Billy Pumper

Lord of the Posts

• Dedicated Member
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 04:13 PM

Posted Image

#19 B.L.A.C.K.H.A.W.K

B.L.A.C.K.H.A.W.K

Lurker

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 05:43 PM

Blackhawk, i realize that i came off as an asshole and i am sorry for that. its not just you it has been a compilation of a bunch of new members doing the same thing you did. It was just that you posted a welcome to a guy who was banned. I know your young and maybe not sure how forums work so na hard feelings just i think its time we do something about this

np im sry for what i did and it wont happen again sry but shadow banned me i think so i dont know what to do sry for the inconvenience :33:

#20 iMSeRiOuS

iMSeRiOuS

Ant Lion Guard

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 06:13 PM

you really think someone's going to read ALL that? :19:

of course :?: i dont think nobody here is an ileterate f*ck :9: .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users