6 replies to this topic

#1 Cleric

Cleric

Gun Kata

• Demigod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 09:29 AM

I intend on building a new pc to replace my crappy Dell. Ive had enough. Ive read enough information on computers and there parts to know what to get and what not to get to build it. My question though is about the operating system. By the time I finsih building my computer the new windows operating system Vista will be out. I didnt really take this into consideration.

So should i stick with XP and see how Vista turns out and then consider Vista, just get Vista, or a third party operating system. The OS didnt even dawn on me until now because i assumed i would just stick with Windows but i have my doubts about it and I have heard stories of a greener pasture where the sun doth shine a little brighter.

Your suggestion, feeback, or personal experiences would be much appreciated on this.

Thxs everyone

*By the way I dont know if it matters but i intend on getting a motherboard with a 939 socket and a AMD 64 Fx processor. PCI Express videocards, and 2 GB DDR ram (Im pretty sure DDR2 wont work with the motherboards im looking at).*

Edited by Cleric, 06 January 2006 - 09:30 AM.

#2 *3RD sfg* killswitch

*3RD sfg* killswitch

"Nope, That Instantly made it worse."

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 12:02 PM

hey man, here is a link to the trial version of XP 64 PRO if you want to try it out and see if you like it or not.

XP 64 PRO

#3 bv_xracer

bv_xracer

Lurker

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 01:20 PM

"By the time I finsih building my computer the new windows operating system Vista will be out."
Don't hold your breath for that, it's (Longhorn/Vista) been delayed again and again.

"(Im pretty sure DDR2 wont work with the motherboards im looking at)"
If your going to wait, DDR2 will be supported in a few months by AMD motherboards.

PS I can't believe you live south of the cheese curtain, :evilgrin:

#4 Cleric

Cleric

Gun Kata

• Demigod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 02:31 PM

"By the time I finsih building my computer the new windows operating system Vista will be out."
Don't hold your breath for that, it's (Longhorn/Vista) been delayed again and again.

"(Im pretty sure DDR2 wont work with the motherboards im looking at)"
If your going to wait, DDR2 will be supported in a few months by AMD motherboards.

PS I can't believe you live south of the cheese curtain, :evilgrin:

It looks like ill just stick with XP for now thxs.

Any Idea when Vista is coming out though? I havent read anything on AMD motherboards allowing DDR2 in the next couple of months. Where did you hear that so i can check it out?

PS Who won the NFC north? Daaa Beaaarrrrsssss

#5 wyte mafia

wyte mafia

|Intelligent| |Design|

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 02:35 PM

if you are getting a 64-bit cpu then you would be dumb not to get the 64-bit os duh!!!

#6 bv_xracer

bv_xracer

Lurker

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 05:10 PM

Looks like my memory was a bit optomistic on the DDR2 on a AMD motherboard, it may be second quarter of 2006. Official roadmap from AMD (http://www.amdcompare.com/prodoutlook/)

Here's a link to a forum on AnandTech site that pertains to the whole idea of waiting or not
http://forums.anandt...hreadid=1767645

This was the story I remember about the M2 chip comming earlier than the official timeframes.
http://www.hardwarea...article/1820.2/

I am keeping with my "old" system for the present, It's a bit slower than what's available even now, but for my own system I try to move up every 2 years, and that means next July. (currently using P4 3.2Ghz, 74 Gb Raptor, 1Gb Corsair XMS ram, BFG 6800 Ultra OC video card, Audigy2 Premium soundcard)

PS - I have always said, even a blind squirrel can find a nut, every 20 years or so, lol :weee:

#7 Sniprwulf

Sniprwulf

demolition expert

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 06:27 PM

if your gonna build a new computer wait a few months....wait for the amd m2 socket....it supports DDR2. It has the fx series too so you can still go wiht that.

those are also going to be rather expensive. i'm getting a 4000+ within the next couple of days and i know itll last me for a good 3 years before i have to think about upgrading. its all relative. i mean, as the new ones come out, the old ones will go down in price. its all based on money and availability, but if ur gettin the fx, money obviously aint no issue. personally, i dont think an fx-55 or 57 is completely necessary to get for droppin almost a whole G if not more. 2centsworth.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users