14 replies to this topic

#1 ShLoNkY

ShLoNkY

I <3 t3h Internets

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:04 PM

Ok guys... I'm a hardcore ATI fan and have never owned anything Nvidia. However I'm seriously considering putting the ole X800 Pro on ebay and getting a 7800GT. I look at benchmarks all day cuz i have nothing better to do at work and the 7800 spanks just about everything out there (even the 1800xt in some cases). Right now SLI doesnt make much sense cuz most games aren't written to take advantage of it. This is sure to change with the next generation game engines. My mobo has SLI and gettin another card down the road is a nice option to have. Not to mention the 7800GT is much faster than my x800 pro. What do you think? Im considering doing this as to be cost effective. (sell my x800 while its still a good card and worth something)

#2 At The Gates

At The Gates

Rolling down the street like a retard in disguise.

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:38 PM

dude, id say go for it...newegg.com has xfx brands of the 7800gt for 299.00 US....I mean thats a good price,or you could spend the 305.00 US and get the cool looking black board with the green highlights(yes....I know that sounds gay)....my 2 cents..

#3 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:49 PM

I'm an ATi fan myself, but I say go with what you can use and get the best price at the time. Hell If I could get the best ATi or the best Nvidia, but the ATi was $100 more, for the same, or just a little more. I'd take the Nvidia.

I'm still trying to get my friend to ask his uncle that works at Nvidia to get me a free 7800. But so far no luck. :(

#4 NC Derek

NC Derek

tired of boss crap

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:55 PM

doesnt matter what brand it is, just get whatever the best card is for the price you want to spend...duh. :dork: they wouldnt make the card if it wasnt good.

#5 wyte mafia

wyte mafia

|Intelligent| |Design|

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 10:45 PM

doesnt matter what brand it is, just get whatever the best card is for the price you want to spend...duh. :dork: they wouldnt make the card if it wasnt good.

wtf are you talking about, there have been all sorts of cards that arnt worth sh*t. you need to do the research to find the best of the best.

i think the 7800gt is a real nice card. i can say from experience sence i have a xfx one. after saying that i also have to say that the 7800gt only gets about 30-45 more fps then the 800xl (stock). is it worth it to you? now that i know the diff i still think i would have made the same decision. so i hope this has helped some

#6 NC Derek

NC Derek

tired of boss crap

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 10:53 PM

wtf are you talking about, there have been all sorts of cards that arnt worth sh*t. you need to do the research to find the best of the best.

i think the 7800gt is a real nice card. i can say from experience sence i have a xfx one. after saying that i also have to say that the 7800gt only gets about 30-45 more fps then the 800xl (stock). is it worth it to you? now that i know the diff i still think i would have made the same decision. so i hope this has helped some

you know what i mean. if you have a budget then it doesnt matter what company. if i had 300 bucks. i would get the 6800 over the 800. if i had 400 i would get the x850xt pe over the 6800. if i had 500 i would get the 7800 over the 1800. if i had like 200 i would get the 800 over the 6600. i dont look in to company, i got by best bang for the buck.

#7 ShLoNkY

ShLoNkY

I <3 t3h Internets

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 10:54 PM

Yeah what im thinking is that for about $125 more i can get a 7800gt, then down the road (when the price drops and more sh*t takes advantage of SLI), get another. The few games that take full advantage of SLI really crank with a dul card setup. I currently have a sapphire x800 pro VIVO. This is the good one that has the same core and memory as the x800xt with uncut pipelines. (you can flash the bios and have the same exact card as the much more expensive x800xt with all 16 pipelines) You can also overclock it very easily as its meant to run much faster than the stock 475 mhz. ( I run it at 515 just fine and the memory at 1050mhz) Anyone wanna buy a x800?? :36:

#8 Sniprwulf

Sniprwulf

demolition expert

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 12:05 AM

do it shlonky

i just bought this yesterday and i suggest you do the same. zipzoom is better than newegg as they have free 2nd day shipping on 95% of the stuff on their site.

goodchoice btw by switching, u wont regret it. just waiting for mine in the mail n my 4000+ :muaha:

edit: that graphics card comes with a free copy of quake 4 when it comes out shipped directly to ur home.

Edited by Sniprwulf, 12 January 2006 - 12:09 AM.

#9 ShLoNkY

ShLoNkY

I <3 t3h Internets

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 12:19 AM

Thats the one i was lookin at. Free quake 4 is the sh*t. I got my copy of HL2 and Farcry when I got my AMD 64. Too bad they only limit you to 20 per customer. :32: What were you using before??

Edited by ShLoNkY, 12 January 2006 - 12:20 AM.

#10 Sniprwulf

Sniprwulf

demolition expert

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 12:28 AM

What were you using before??

still using my pny nvidia geforce4 128mb fx5700LE. i love nvidia's software over ati's and it did me well for over a year as i got it for 90 bucks, but fan went on it and im upgrading my components so i said what the hell and go all out.

#11 S.W.A.T. 2.0

S.W.A.T. 2.0

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 08:02 PM

I've used both and I know that Shadow will disagree with me...but I honestly think that Nvidia makes a better product than ATI, has better performance in MOST applications, and knows how to support what they make more efficiently. When they release a new product it doesn't take months and months to get one, as they actually know how to market.

My next card will probably be an Nvidia, just waiting for a few more big technology jumps. No point in upgrading a perfectly good X800 XT PE at the moment...

#12 ShLoNkY

ShLoNkY

I <3 t3h Internets

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 08:32 PM

I've used both and I know that Shadow will disagree with me...but I honestly think that Nvidia makes a better product than ATI, has better performance in MOST applications, and knows how to support what they make more efficiently. When they release a new product it doesn't take months and months to get one, as they actually know how to market.

My next card will probably be an Nvidia, just waiting for a few more big technology jumps. No point in upgrading a perfectly good X800 XT PE at the moment...

I agree. Although I am partial to ATI, my x800XX gets the job done pretty damn good. I think I am going to hold off for a bit and see what happens. I try and make any upgrades that I can that make the most sense economically. If I can peddle my current parts on ebay before they become totally obsolete, might as well do it and upgrade. I don't think my x800xx will become obsolete anytime soon. (4 months at least??)

#13 S.W.A.T. 2.0

S.W.A.T. 2.0

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 09:10 PM

Yeah, you've got a while. I'm not going to toss my X800 XT PE for a while, at least until they bring out the 48+ pipeline cards and 512MB comes standard...which may take a lil' while.

#14 Sniprwulf

Sniprwulf

demolition expert

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 10:53 PM

until they bring out the 48+ pipeline cards and 512MB comes standard...which may take a lil' while.

yeah i think you've got a while. lik a good long time.(edit: was talkin bout becomin standard, heard the new 48pipeline's gunna be sick tho.)

im partial to nvidia as i've had no problems with them. i love their software, as its userfriendly. just going with the ole saying if it ain't broken, dont fixit. and i've got nothing but good to say about my 7800gt

Edited by Sniprwulf, 18 January 2006 - 11:43 PM.

#15 S.W.A.T. 2.0

S.W.A.T. 2.0

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 11:14 PM

Well, the 48 pipeline cards are coming out pretty soon, but having a standard 512 will take a while.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users