11 replies to this topic

#1 Lost

Lost

Lazy Canadian Lurker

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 11:40 AM

Man.. I haven't had good luck with fans lately.. After my nForce 4 chipset fan (yeah.. on the motherboard) died a slow death and finally died last week.. It seems now that my fan on my X800XL is on its way out as well.. sheesh.. I actually shut off my computer due to the bad noises coming from it..

Anyways.. I just ordered one of these

http://www.arctic-co...vga2.php?idx=61

and I'm expecting some good things from this beastie.. I'll be installing this bad boy tonight.. I may even try some overclocking with it.

Hopefully this is a good choice.. I didn't have much selection due to the short notice.. but I've read some good reviews and they all looked good.

Anyone have any experience with one of these coolers? Opinions? Hints/tips for overclocking? :evil:

#2 Lost

Lost

Lazy Canadian Lurker

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 11:49 AM

Yeah.. its big.. really big.. I'll have to take some before and after pics.. :20:

As a side note.. the card is still under warranty (2 years - bought last august), but I'd have to send the card back and be without for 2-3 weeks.. which is NOT cool.

Edited by Lost, 03 February 2006 - 11:50 AM.

#3 ShLoNkY

ShLoNkY

I <3 t3h Internets

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 12:51 PM

You should be able to overclock it quite a bit, maybe even flash it to different card. Get ati tool and tell me what the stock clock and memory speed is, how many active pipes, and the core model. AGP or pcie and is it a VIVO. If you give me that info ill be able to give you a few tips on overclocking that bad boy. :tup: Also when you take it out to put the HSF on it, write down any info written on the memory chips as its a b*tch to do so when the card is installed...... Ole ShLoNkY has a few tricks up his sleeves. Thats a good one though. Make sure you get some good thermal paste. (arctic silver)

Edited by ShLoNkY, 03 February 2006 - 12:52 PM.

#4 Lost

Lost

Lazy Canadian Lurker

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 01:47 PM

Pretty sure its coming with the Arctic paste.. I'll pick some up on the way home if not..

Its this card http://www.msicomput...D256E&class=vga
Which should have the 430 chip, but I'll find out tonight for sure.. heck I'll take a pic of the card while the oe fan/heatsink is off so I don't miss anything.. (yes closeups so I can read).

#5 ShLoNkY

ShLoNkY

I <3 t3h Internets

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 02:15 PM

The r430 chip isnt that good for overclocking as the stock clock on your card is pretty high. Some cards have the same exact chip but are clocked way lower. Youll still be able to get a little bit more performance out of it.

#6 NC Derek

NC Derek

tired of boss crap

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 02:36 PM

yeah my 9800 gets up to 85C sometimes , so good luck with that.

#7 Lost

Lost

Lazy Canadian Lurker

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 02:50 PM

Yes from what I've been reading the chip isn't that overclockable.. but the memory has some pretty decent headroom.

#8 Billy Pumper

Billy Pumper

Lord of the Posts

• Dedicated Member
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 04:44 PM

thats really cool

#9 R3dvison

R3dvison

Lurker

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 11:22 PM

Hahaha I can teach you to overclock I read Maximum Pc b*tches! Yes I know... it's the nerd within...

But yea I just got another issue today and it has a whole guide on overclocking

#10 Lost

Lost

Lazy Canadian Lurker

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 12:10 PM

Well the fan seems to be working pretty well so far.. and whenever I play CSS with ATITool open, the clock speeds seem to somehow just go up.. not by much.. but a bit anyways..

#11 oneils

oneils

Lurker

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 09:11 PM

To replace your chipset fan, you can get a passive heatsink from Zalman. They are about 10bucks canadian, so should be cheaper in the U.S.

Here is a link:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835118214

It's suppose to work really well and you won't have to worry about it crapping out.

#12 Lost

Lost

Lazy Canadian Lurker

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 08:12 AM

Thanks, I'll rememeber that if my replacement fan craps out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users