22 replies to this topic

#1 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 08:50 PM

Alright, I currently have SBC DSL, and recently they put a hub closer to our area, allowing for increased speed. And because we've been a customer for 2 years we had this special deal to increase our 300 kbs'ish speed to 768-1.4 speeds for only a few extra bucks a month. So we did it.

But I noticed my speeds increased a little at the time, but as of the last few weeks I've only been able to get download speeds of 60kbs.

I know I'm on a wireless connection, so I'll lose a little there. But I've tried 10 of those speed checkers and took a mean avg being reported at about 400kbs.

So, if there's any truth to those speed checkers. Where the hell is all my bandwith going? It doesn't matter where I download from I always have 50-65kbs download speed.

I've been talking to my Dad's girlfriend (She works for SBC.) to see what the reasoning behind this is. But haven't gotten really far.

#2 wyte mafia

wyte mafia

|Intelligent| |Design|

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 08:57 PM

i dont know but i wanted to take this time toi say that i have a 24 meg a second conection and it is everything it should be! yay for me!

i pwn the internet

Edited by wyte mafia, 08 March 2006 - 08:58 PM.

#3 Novahawk

Novahawk

Beast

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 09:07 PM

they probably just ripped you off.. :tup: but i have a 6 Mbps connection so my download speed is 768kbps... because the the Mbps.. means bits.. and you you have to devide the number by 8, so my 6mbps connection speed is actually 768kbps download speed.. oh and i just ran a few tests for the heck of it.. one told me that my download speed is 1339kbps LOL and another told me that it was 500, (which is about right, because i have some downloads going) and without a download, i ran this one test right after i got the connection.. which said my connection was off only by like 30kbps.. so its all good.. but yeah what I meant to say is that they just ripped you off... :tup:

#4 monster

monster

You live on pen island

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 10:36 PM

i dont know but i wanted to take this time toi say that i have a 24 meg a second conection and it is everything it should be! yay for me!
i pwn the internet

you mean 24 Megabits per second. As nova pointed out... that translates into about 3 megabytes per second....

Which is great, if every server you connected to had the same speeds.

I have 7 Megabit cable, and most of the time, sh*t comes in between 250 - 500 kb / second.

Now, the reason that your's may be so slow, ezekiel, is that you're downloading from places that only upload at 60 kb/s. Like if wyte mafia downloaded a file from my webserver at home.... it doesn't matter if he has 100mbit connection.... he's only gonna be able to download at less than 100 kb per second because that's all I allow on it.

However... cable, dsl... whatever... you should be able to crank out at least 100+ kb / s most of the time.

#5 iMSeRiOuS

iMSeRiOuS

Ant Lion Guard

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 11:22 PM

you guys are luck y i have sh*t INTERNET CONNECTION i need to get a new one when i download sh*t it only goes 28kb/second MAX.

#6 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 11:30 PM

you mean 24 Megabits per second. As nova pointed out... that translates into about 3 megabytes per second....

I have 7 Megabit cable, and most of the time, sh*t comes in between 250 - 500 kb / second.
Now, the reason that your's may be so slow, ezekiel, is that you're downloading from places that only upload at 60 kb/s. Like if wyte mafia downloaded a file from my webserver at home.... it doesn't matter if he has 100mbit connection.... he's only gonna be able to download at less than 100 kb per second because that's all I allow on it.

However... cable, dsl... whatever... you should be able to crank out at least 100+ kb / s most of the time.

When I originally had the connection I avged 150kbs, on the same sites today I get 60kbs. I know your speed is determined by the uploader. But C'mon. 50kbs off of Fileplanet?

#7 monster

monster

You live on pen island

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 01:11 AM

Fileplanet is fast, I got huge download speeds there.

Anyways, there is another aspect that I didn't think of before....

1. Your computer may have viruses / spyware that use your computer to send out spam and hijack your connection, making it slow as hell.
2. Your freeloading neighbors might be using your wireless connection (I used to do this with my laptop at work, before we got a wireless router).

#8 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 02:58 PM

Fileplanet is fast, I got huge download speeds there.
Anyways, there is another aspect that I didn't think of before....

1. Your computer may have viruses / spyware that use your computer to send out spam and hijack your connection, making it slow as hell.
2. Your freeloading neighbors might be using your wireless connection (I used to do this with my laptop at work, before we got a wireless router).

1) This ia a brand new computer with the same, but freshly downloaded, anti virus and spyware tools as my last computer.
And I don't see how doing this same things I did with my last computer would cripple the speeds on the first day it was running.

2) Possible, there's 2 other wireless networks I can hit up on myself. But to get onto the networks you need the serial number and WEP number off the gateway. I really REALLY doubt someone hacked into it, seeing as all the people living around me are ither in their golden years or terrible 2's.

#9 wyte mafia

wyte mafia

|Intelligent| |Design|

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 03:04 PM

umm... no you are wrong. the fastes i have d/loaded was 12 MEGS a second. for a while, i ran a 32 man server from my modem and my pc playing at the same time. you guys saw what you got for pings at my server, usaly they were lower than your pings on boss. ashbash's ping was like 90 i think. and he is on the other side the EARTH, lol. also, my upload speed is 1 meg a sec.

oh, btw sorry for being totaly off topic, i just didnt want you guys thinkin im a nub....

Edited by wyte mafia, 09 March 2006 - 03:08 PM.

#10 ghozy

ghozy

The Gobblemonster

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 03:07 PM

it might be your phone lines can't handle your connection speed. or maybe they screwed up something while installing the new thingy. I had solid 3Mbps downstream DSL in Palm Beach. but here in gainesville its gone down to 1 Mbps with same plan. just because sh*ty phone lines. so what i have done is called local cable company and bought their 7Mbps plan. as soon as i get cable working i will cancel my dsl.

#11 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 03:14 PM

it might be your phone lines can't handle your connection speed. or maybe they screwed up something while installing the new thingy. I had solid 3Mbps downstream DSL in Palm Beach. but here in gainesville its gone down to 1 Mbps with same plan. just because sh*ty phone lines. so what i have done is called local cable company and bought their 7Mbps plan. as soon as i get cable working i will cancel my dsl.

That still wouldn't explain why I get sh*tty speeds as of a few weeks ago. I called them, all the lines are normal. So there's nothing broken. What could suddenly zap 90kbs away from your speed?

#12 ghozy

ghozy

The Gobblemonster

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 03:29 PM

That still wouldn't explain why I get sh*tty speeds as of a few weeks ago. I called them, all the lines are normal. So there's nothing broken. What could suddenly zap 90kbs away from your speed?

if its started as soon as they switched you to new speed plan, i say they screwed up some settings, or worst they screwed up lines. if its not other options coming to my mindare;

a. something interfering with your wireless connection (like another wireless router or some weird cordless phones does that sometimes). try it with a straight ethernet cable connection.

b. someone is leeching your connection, but in this case your speed should be inconsistent, not always low. there should be peeks and drops, etc.

c. but most likely its a setup problem at the side of the ISP. i don't really think they check your actual speed to say your lines are normal. they ping your modem and see its working and they say your line is normal. borrow a cxomputer from your friend or laptop. try it with your connection. if it is still slow tell them "no its not normal, its slow. I don't get the speed I'm paying for" and demand a fix for it.

#13 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 03:42 PM

if its started as soon as they switched you to new speed plan, i say they screwed up some settings, or worst they screwed up lines. if its not other options coming to my mindare;

a. something interfering with your wireless connection (like another wireless router or some weird cordless phones does that sometimes). try it with a straight ethernet cable connection.

b. someone is leeching your connection, but in this case your speed should be inconsistent, not always low. there should be peeks and drops, etc.

c. but most likely its a setup problem at the side of the ISP. i don't really think they check your actual speed to say your lines are normal. they ping your modem and see its working and they say your line is normal. borrow a cxomputer from your friend or laptop. try it with your connection. if it is still slow tell them "no its not normal, its slow. I don't get the speed I'm paying for" and demand a fix for it.

A) possible, but no new wireless devices have been introduced into the home. And there's no practical way to get a lan line to my computer. The gateway is up stairs on the compelete opposite side of the house. I'd need something like 50ft of cat cables through the walls to make a direct connection.

B) It's constantly slow, like you stated.

C) I'll try that.

It didn't start with the new plan, it just randomly started a few weeks ago.

Edit: Another thing. I really didn't think much of it, since I'm connected and, ovbiously, able to use the internet. Yet on my wireless connection setting it says "Not Connected." Yet when I try to connect to it, though I already am, but it says I'm not, it asks me if I want to disconnect.... wierd.

Edited by Ezekiel, 09 March 2006 - 03:47 PM.

#14 ghozy

ghozy

The Gobblemonster

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 03:45 PM

thats all i can think of. oh maybe your neighbour had something new? i know probably not, but try a cable ethernet connection to your modem or router. just to be safe.

#15 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 04:08 PM

Wow... Just wow... I reconfigured the connection settings with the software for my wireless. Reconnected, and it's all back to normal. Though I think I'll still call SBC soon to see why when we upgraded, we didn't see any difference in download or upload speeds.

Thanks for all your help though Ghozy.

Edited by Ezekiel, 09 March 2006 - 04:08 PM.

#16 ghozy

ghozy

The Gobblemonster

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 04:41 PM

glad its working. :) though i was wrong on all cases it seems. hmmm.

#17 Haven

Haven

This bacon is stinky

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:13 PM

Wow serious, your internet does suck, on average I get 3-5 Mbps, on a bad day, 3 Mbps, on a good day 6 MABEY 7 Mbps.....during hurricane Katrina my Cable Internet provider was still up some how (BTW I live on the coast) I had 97 Mbps for like 10 minutes :) No one else in lower AL had Internet, or even power thought, I was using a generator for just a sec, still 97 Mbps....crazy

#18 iMSeRiOuS

iMSeRiOuS

Ant Lion Guard

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:31 PM

yeah haven same here my internet provider was also up but i was using generator i was just normal lolz! Yeah i gotta get better connection true dat

#19 Fuz_master

Fuz_master

Combine Zombie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:14 PM

How much you pay a month for SBC? We are thinking about getting it because it is the only available DSL in our area.

#20 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:17 PM

How much you pay a month for SBC? We are thinking about getting it because it is the only available DSL in our area.

$20.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users