15 replies to this topic

#1 Cyprus

Cyprus

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 12:58 AM

Alrite this summer I will be able to build a new computer with a $1500 budget and I need some help.

What is a good AMD processor and what core should i get?
Any good motherboard compatible with the AMD processor?
7800 gtx, 7900, or x1900?
What psu should i use?

Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

#2 monster

monster

You live on pen island

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 01:11 AM

Heh. Great thread man. You're gonna get lotsa responses.

I've been looking at a new comp and it's tough to decide which parts to put in.

Everyone is gonna say the Nvidia cards are the best, and shadow is gonna come in here and tell them they are noobs and reccommend the x1900.

Personally... I've always been an ATI fanboy. But ATI dropped the ball with the x1800 and over. So I would reccommend the 7900 if you find a good deal.

I would get any dual core proc from AMD.... depending on your budget of course.

mobo decision should be based on your needs... onboard video; sound; raid; etc
Memory type? Overclocking utils... These are all mobo specific.

PSU.... I have no idea. I have always used stock until:

-My dvd rom would crash my whole comp.. good sign your PSU is weak.

So I bought an enermax 420W PSU. I would say Wattage is a major concern depending on your components. As far as branding..... heh... leave that to those that have broken PSU before (SHADOW) lol.

hope this useless post helps

#3 RogueAlly

RogueAlly

Lurker+

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 01:44 AM

You can almost build my computer for $1500, depending on the deals you get.

I would suggest the 7800 gtx oc, but thats me... its cost effective right now and will most likely take another price drop thanks to the 7900.

My processor is AMD 64X2 4200+ 2.2 Ghz... excellent for programs and works well with gaming.

I'm using a LanParty Mobo, don't recall the exact specs now... will update/link in the future.

Corsair dual channel ram, make sure your mobo supports it

and I'm using a 600 watt psu, but you'll prolly need around 450.

#4 Alpine

Alpine

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 07:54 AM

Heh. Great thread man. You're gonna get lotsa responses.
I've been looking at a new comp and it's tough to decide which parts to put in.
Everyone is gonna say the Nvidia cards are the best, and shadow is gonna come in here and tell them they are noobs and reccommend the x1900.
Personally... I've always been an ATI fanboy. But ATI dropped the ball with the x1800 and over. So I would reccommend the 7900 if you find a good deal.
I would get any dual core proc from AMD.... depending on your budget of course.
mobo decision should be based on your needs... onboard video; sound; raid; etc
Memory type? Overclocking utils... These are all mobo specific.
PSU.... I have no idea. I have always used stock until:

-My dvd rom would crash my whole comp.. good sign your PSU is weak.
So I bought an enermax 420W PSU. I would say Wattage is a major concern depending on your components. As far as branding..... heh... leave that to those that have broken PSU before (SHADOW) lol.
hope this useless post helps

Everything here is about right the only thing I would disagree with you is the dual core processor. Don't get me wrong they are great processors but you can get alot better performance getting a single core for alot cheaper so you could get alot better cpu. If this is just going to be a gaming computer I would go with a single core. Just my .02.

Also check new.com and check out there combo deals because sometimes they have "buy a processor and get a mobo free" deal :D

#5 Sniprwulf

Sniprwulf

demolition expert

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 10:53 AM

Well, I'll throw my opinion in there. wait. wait for the socket m2. they're supposed to own.

That said, get a dual core processor w/1mb L2 cache on each core, x1900xtx b/c its better than the 7900gtx right now. If something better comes out later, then maybe something else. Get 1-2gb of low latency ram. Read in the hardware section on power supplies and that will help you choose which one to get. It's not all about wattages b/c i bought a piece of sh*t 500watt and blewup in a half a day. Get a decent case, prolly around $100 to cool this b*tch. Make sure its got atleast 2-3 fans. Motherboards, yeah depends on ur application but Asus, MSI, Lanparty are all good names. I'm partial to MSI. Umm, idk if im missing anything else..

Edited by Sniprwulf, 24 March 2006 - 10:54 AM.

#6 Sacularky

Sacularky

Lurker

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 02:28 PM

Well, I'll throw my opinion in there. wait. wait for the socket m2. they're supposed to own.

That said, get a dual core processor w/1mb L2 cache on each core, x1900xtx b/c its better than the 7900gtx right now. If something better comes out later, then maybe something else. Get 1-2gb of low latency ram. Read in the hardware section on power supplies and that will help you choose which one to get. It's not all about wattages b/c i bought a piece of sh*t 500watt and blewup in a half a day. Get a decent case, prolly around $100 to cool this b*tch. Make sure its got atleast 2-3 fans. Motherboards, yeah depends on ur application but Asus, MSI, Lanparty are all good names. I'm partial to MSI. Umm, idk if im missing anything else..

If you are going to wait, you might want to wait for the new Intel dual core processors. I forgot their name, but I have read several benchmarks that said these new processors are beating the current FX 60s by 30% or more in most applications. I know Intel has long been terrible for gaming, but according to these releases, the new Intel processors are going to "pwn." Just my suggestion, if you want a computer now it would probably do to get an Athlon 64 X2 4400, since the FX 60s cost considerably more and only give a multiplier adjustment and slightly higher performance.

As for power supply, i wouldn't be cheap with those, since a problem with power could likely damage your whole system. I've destroyed 3 motherboards with cheap 300 watt power supplies. DDR2 is more expensive than current DDR ram, and is probably goign to be a requirement for the next generation of processors, so if you don't have much money it would best to build one soon before Socket m2 and new intel processors are relased.

When you look at motherboard you also want to look at the chipset since those are very important in terms of overclockability and misc. features.

Some people have said i was "spamming." If you really believe this is spam, don't hesitate to delete it. I wasn't intending to spam just to give advice.

Edited by Sacularky, 26 March 2006 - 02:28 PM.

#7 kid_latigo

kid_latigo

Combine Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 04:19 PM

my advice would be waiting a little bit, maybe until vista is released and saving up some more and getting a 2-3year comp, because you might buy a 7800gtx today, and in one month there will be a 7801gtx

#8 NC Joe

NC Joe

Combine Soldier

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 09:55 PM

there is a 7900 :P

#9 Cyprus

Cyprus

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 01:38 AM

Alrite this is what I am planning to get so far.
Processor
AMD Athlon 64 4200+ 2.2 Ghz
Motherboard
A8N Sli-Premium
Video Card
GeForce 7800 Gtx
7900 Gtx
Memory
Ocz 2gb DD2
Hardrive
seagate baracuda 250gb

Changes? Help would be appreciated. :perk:

#10 RogueAlly

RogueAlly

Lurker+

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 03:06 AM

Alrite this is what I am planning to get so far.
Processor
AMD Athlon 64 4200+ 2.2 Ghz
Motherboard
A8N Sli-Premium
Video Card
GeForce 7800 Gtx
7900 Gtx
Memory
Ocz 2gb DD2
Hardrive
seagate baracuda 250gb

Changes? Help would be appreciated. :perk:

Good choice of processor, I haven't seen any serious performance difference between the x2 and the fx type. The motherboard seems solid, make sure it will word with the video card though (if you go for the 7900). Personally I would still go with the 7800 just cuz its cheaper, but the 7900 is whooping ass. Only problem there is that its a big ass f*cker. Good choice of ram, stick with that. The seagate is a good HDD for everything in general, bit for a better gaming add a 30gb Raptor to the cart to maximize performance. Thats my two cents.

#11 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 05:07 AM

Intel is trash no matter what they make, even if they do perform better then AMD, they still use higher power req's and always generate more heat, you just cant win with them.

#12 Nagash

Nagash

Combine Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 05:32 AM

Also you might to check out this site http://www.pricewatch.com/ for prices. I troll through everytime I'm looking to build or upgrade. Sometimes you find great deals and not OEM stuff retail items even. And I would stick with ASUS for the motherboard I've had great luck with them and their support is awesome.

no matter what you do good luck and enjoy it will be worth it for a week atleast then something bigger and better will come out :1: :tup:

#13 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 09:26 AM

Intel is trash no matter what they make, even if they do perform better then AMD, they still use higher power req's and always generate more heat, you just cant win with them.

Yes, I have a Pentium 4. My next processor will be an AMD Dual-Core.

Sacularky, the new "Intel ViiV Dual-Core" are the same technology as the Intel Macs.

If AMD processors suck, why does a 2.2Ghz AMD Athlon XP perform better than my 2.6Ghz Intel Pentium 4?

#14 NC Derek

NC Derek

tired of boss crap

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 10:10 AM

whats the ups on having a dual core processor? what program can you run thatll be handled twice as fast? (noob question) im just wondering bc the fx-60 seems like the best then why make a whole line of those x2 duals?

#15 Cyprus

Cyprus

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 01:04 PM

I dont think i can go with the Fx series anyway; they are too costly.

#16 NC Derek

NC Derek

tired of boss crap

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 01:47 PM

I dont think i can go with the Fx series anyway; they are too costly.

considering all you need this for is mainly gaming, you dont need anything too expensive. put your money in to a video card and maybe a nice monitor and 2 gigs of ram, rather than a processor. id go with the 4200 amd that everyone has recommended. if you have extra money bump that up to a 4400, but for now what you got liested is great.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users