Photo

logitech MX518

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 At The Gates

At The Gates

Rolling down the street like a retard in disguise.

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 09:37 PM

ok, so after building my computer, I realised that my old logitech 310 was way outdated, meaning the buttons were worn out....so I bought a brand new, Logitech MX518 gaming mouse, I read tons of reviews on this thing, and its suposed to work awsome...and it does.....except on steam.
Farcry it works awsome, Doom3 works great with it, Quake 4 has awsome response with this mouse....but for some reason, CSS, and even HL2,the mouse is extremly difficult to control, its either way to fast, way too slow, or no acceleration what so ever, and after many MANY tweaks, and updating its drivers, ive come to a conclusion....somthing is seriously f*cked up,if anyone owns this mouse, and has some tips, I whould greatly appreciate it, because playing CSS and getting killed because the mouse jumps everwhere and I cant aim fast enough,makes me not want to play.

#2 youwerekilled

youwerekilled

NegroAchievement

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 10:16 PM

get it. i got the g5 which goes up to a highter dpi but no one would ever use a dpi this high for an fps. the interchangable weights are nice on the g5, but unnessisary... go with the 518...

#3 Lost

Lost

Lazy Canadian Lurker

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 06:35 AM

I have one.. I dunno, I use 1600dpi all the time (in windows and games). I checked the box that says, let the game handle the mouse instead of the logitech drivers.. I set my windows mouse movement to 3-4 notches from the left - meaning the +3 or 4 from the slowest setting. I have no problems.. I didn't even change my sensitivity from my mx500 in css..

#4 Billy Pumper

Billy Pumper

Lord of the Posts

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 09:02 AM

the mx518 is the greatest mouse i have ever owned. it is perfect for css. yes it did take me a while to tweak it. you have to first realize that the sensativity buttons over and below the wheel are kind of giant steps. sooo what you have to do is play with your mouse sensativity in css along with the buttons. i promise you will get it perfect and you will splooge all over your keyboard when you do.

i think shadow has it too. and as far as a G5 and its weights...f*ck that its just something rich ppl have like blinders in their cars

#5 kidcapri

kidcapri

Human Shield

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 11:19 AM

Umm this mouse is great for css. I have one a it works perfectly. I don't know maybe you are hitting the sensitivity buttons on accident. I just plugged mine in and it has worked fine.

#6 Aziz

Aziz

Ё-Ж-И-К

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,253 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 02:28 PM

Im probably going to go with MX1000. Or, i might still get the MX518. Not sure yet.

#7 ghozy

ghozy

The Gobblemonster

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 02:50 PM

um isnt G5 a laser mouse? mx518 is red led optical mouse. laser mouses works almost on any surface. including reflective and glassy surfaces and no mouse pad required. they use different technology. so one should consider these facts before buying one.

edit: i have a cheap laser mouse. don't buy cheap laser mouse, never. though it still works even i keep holding it little bit above the surface

Edited by ghozy, 07 June 2006 - 02:54 PM.

#8 Lost

Lost

Lazy Canadian Lurker

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 02:51 PM

Well sorry to be rude but at least 2 people didn't read that he was actually asking for help with the mouse that he already bought.

Honestly again, I plugged mine in, installed the drivers and changed the windows sensitivity to a lower setting, everything else remained the same. You could look on the steam forums maybe someone else is having the same problem gates.. You could maybe try not using the logitech drivers.. the +/- dpi changers will still work too.. as I tried it for a few days without the drivers installed.

#9 ghozy

ghozy

The Gobblemonster

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 03:43 PM

Well sorry to be rude but at least 2 people didn't read that he was actually asking for help with the mouse that he already bought...

nope, not being rude. you are right about it.

what is your sensevity setting in CS:S? you might consider lowering a little bit more with a high DPI mouse.

#10 At The Gates

At The Gates

Rolling down the street like a retard in disguise.

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 04:11 PM

I have it set to 5, like ive always had before with my other optical mouse...however lke some have you have stated, with the higher DPI I should probably select a lower speed..thanks all, Ill let you know my prgress with this thing.

#11 ghozy

ghozy

The Gobblemonster

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 04:46 PM

with my new laser mouse I'm down to .9 on sensevity you might try something between 1 and 2.

#12 Sacularky

Sacularky

Lurker

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 08:05 PM

Not to go too far off topic, i am currently using the g5 after replacing the razer diamondback. I have found for both of these mice to run them at maximum dpi, since the point of these "gaming mice" is to increase the precision of your movements, not the speed you can scroll across the screen as fast as possible.

For the g5, i am using at 2000 dpi, with windows mouse settings at three bars from left, and cs settings at 2.4.

For the razer diamondback at 1600 dpi, whcih is the same as the mx518, with windows mouse settings at three bars from left and cs settings at 1.6

I agree with ghozy that cheap laser mice are terrible. Their laser tracking system cant even move smoothly from one side of the screen to the other. :?:

Edited by Sacularky, 07 June 2006 - 08:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users