7 replies to this topic

#1 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 06:37 PM

My mom has an older dell, probably 2001ish. But as of early this morning (She woke my up 1 hour before work damnit!) Asking me what the hell is wrong with her comp.

Well after work I finally get to check it out. It boots up then brings up a message saying something with the hardware or software was changed, and gives the standard 3 safe modes or start normally.

Well any way you pick leads to a dead end. And of the safe modes sputter off locations of drivers, and normally brings up the windows logo, for a few and then blankness. And then your forced to restart the computer.

So if anyone has a clue to what is wrong, it would really help. As she has all her financial dealings on that computer (Backed up on a CD of course, but still.), and I'd rather not have to share my computer with my mom if she can't get it fixed.

#2 Novahawk

Novahawk

Beast

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 07:13 PM

When it passes the little startup screen, before it is about to boot windows press f8, it should take you to the little place where you said it takes you but only has 4 options... usually there is more than 4, there should be like 10 or something and one of them is "boot with last known working configuration" (or something similar to that) and hit that...

#3 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 07:17 PM

When it passes the little startup screen, before it is about to boot windows press f8, it should take you to the little place where you said it takes you but only has 4 options... usually there is more than 4, there should be like 10 or something and one of them is "boot with last known working configuration" (or something similar to that) and hit that...

Tried that, didn't work. Same thing happens as a normal boot of windows.

#4 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 07:40 PM

Sounds like some software / Drivers that were installed have rendered the OS unworkable, Best bet IMO, Format.

#5 medel

medel

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 07:44 PM

tryin installing windows over the same installation. should reinstall all drivers and startup while keeping programs OK. at least worth a shot if you're on the format stage of thought. :D

#6 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 08:31 PM

Well my mom was saying Norton caused the computer to initially freeze and render the computer in the current state. I'll try that then. Thanks.

#7 hurley41

hurley41

Journeyman

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 10:59 PM

ya do what metal said, it happenend to my friends computer and that is what he did, and it was fine, he was just missing some programs... but o well lol !!!

#8 medel

medel

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 12:59 AM

ya do what metal said,

I hate your reading.
P.S. I told you it happens a lot. :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users