#1 Sniprwulf

Sniprwulf

demolition expert

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 11:58 PM

Posted Image

"Killer is the first network card designed specifically for online video gaming, and is packed with features that give Elite gamers the edge they need to win.

More Frames Per Second:
Bigfoot Networks' MaxFPS technology offloads network processing to the Killer's NPU which frees your computer's main processor to focus on running the game. By spending more of your CPU's cycles focusing on the game, you will see increased frame rates.

Lower Ping:
Killer's UltimatePing feature completely bypasses the operating system's network stack when delivering data to your games. Bypassing windows reduces your latency, minimizes the number of interrupts on your CPU, and gives you that split second advantage you need when you meet your nemesis in battle.

Open Architecture:
Killer's Flexible Network Architecture (FNA), which runs a version of embedded Linux, is the infinite strength of Killer. Whether you want to write Flexible Network Applications (FNapps) yourself or download them from KillerNIC.com, you will love the ability to run applications on the Killer's NPU. Offloading applications is another way to allow your CPU to stay focused on making sure your game plays the way you like it.

Ping Control:
For the elite gamer, Bigfoot Networks' PingThrottle feature allows gamers to restore the sense of fair play when there is a server proximity advantage. The gamer with the unfair advantage can dial the ping back up, so that they can win without worrying about being the LPB (low Ping b*****d). Also, elite gamers can use this feature to handicap themselves for training purposes. This feature, if activated by the user, utilizes hardware to add in up to a maximum 40ms of Ping, and cannot be used to cheat in an online game.

Packet Prioritization:
Killer's GameFirst feature prioritizes your inbound and outbound network traffic so that your gaming packets are delivered first.

400Mhz Network Processing Unit
USB 2.0 Port"

I think this thing is badass. But priced at $280, I'll wait for the price to drop off.. Definately does what it says from all of the reviews, very interesting...

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16833342001

#2 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 12:03 AM

its worthless... and bypassing the windows stack? Lol wtf kinda bullsh*t they trying to sell I bet you this thing fails horribly, simply because you *cannot* lower your ping via the internet.

say for example your tracing a site, note the hops.

Hops = all it is, line to line, distance to distance, simple as that, you cannot simply plug something in and be like *oh look, Im faster now*, thats just a bullsh*t concept aimed at morons with too much cash on their hands.

ask shlonky, he knows enough about networking to figure it out

#3 kidcapri

kidcapri

Human Shield

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 12:37 AM

The only real reason for someone to buy this thing is for the extra fps. You could just put that chunk of money towards a new video card or processor and see better results than that. f*ck that thing.

For the optimised online gaming, you could just buy this.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16833124065

A whole lot cheaper. It sets all online games and voip calls to the highest priority. Getting all game and voip packets out before anything else.

#4 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 08:03 AM

Yeah, I saw this a while ago and just started laughing while reading their descriptions from the site.

#5 Mandraque

Mandraque

Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 01:10 PM

i saw it and it just confudes me....so i just ignore it, like everyone should

#6 ShLoNkY

ShLoNkY

I <3 t3h Internets

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 01:25 PM

A gimmick IMO. You may be able to optimize things to make it say you have a lower ping, but in reality you don't. As soon as data leaves your computer there is nothing you can do to lower your ping. To many other variables (hardware) that you have to rely on for a good ping.

Having a more powerful onboard networking processor to reduce cpu cycles isnt a bad idea. Not for $280 though. For $280 go buy a better peocessor or videocard and if your processor or gpu costs more than that now a days, you probably don't need the extra horsepower anyways.

If you gave me one I'd use it, but if you are going to tell me that it'll make you a better player Id say you are full of sh*t.

Good find though, pretty interesting.

#7 tjhooker

tjhooker

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 10:40 PM

Im buying one.... Im gonna put it in a frame and stick it in my urinel .... it looks like somthing fun to aim at...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users