4 replies to this topic

#1 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 06:00 AM

AMD is currently walking in the shadow of Intel's Core 2 Duo and quad-core CPUs but as more details are revealed about AMDs native quad-core architecture, Intel may have to reconsider its strategy.

AMD has always claimed that its native quad-core design is superior to Intel's plan of bundling two dual-cores in one chip. The company has already started revealing the details that back-up its superiority claims. At the heart of the issue lies AMDs Direct Connect architecture which utilizes serial hypertransport links to directly connect memory, CPUs and some IO subsystems. The design offers great advantages in scalability and is allowing AMD to even consider octal-core implementations.

Intel's Kentsfield design is based on the sharing of the front side bus, a hurdle which AMD avoids using the dedicated HT links for each dual core CPU. This is stressed as a performance difference but we have to remind you that until AMD has a product out that can be tested rigorously and compared to Intel's chips we will not be able to offer any real world comparisons, although we have to admit that on paper it does look good for AMD provided they can deliver the chips soon enough.

AMD has now also confirmed that its CPUs will be available in speeds varying from 2.6 to 3.0 GHz. :1:

from the looks of it, Intel is rushing their processors and they are going to fail hardcore performance wise, tbh if their all using the same Unified FSB for all the cores, thats a large bottleneck like wtf? :huh:

#2 Mandraque

Mandraque

Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 08:27 AM

for the good of everyone i hope this is true, i allways wanted to try AMD with my next computer...i hope they can increase the presure on intel....nice article though, ill look more into it in the afternoon.

#3 Novahawk

Novahawk

Beast

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 08:39 AM

for the good of everyone i hope this is true, i allways wanted to try AMD with my next computer...i hope they can increase the presure on intel....nice article though, ill look more into it in the afternoon.

Exactaly.. this is gonna be awesome (i hope).. once the AMD quad cores come out + dx10 cards.. i'll probably build a new computer...

#4 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 09:50 AM

If they pull this off, then no doubt my next computer will be a AMD/ATi combo. :tup:

Going to have to start saving now though. :>.<:

#5 kidcapri

kidcapri

Human Shield

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 12:41 PM

I am more excited about the dx10 video cards right now. They need to release those sh*ts before christmas. Thats when I am building my new comp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users