8 replies to this topic

#1 dar_tana

dar_tana

Death to the Infidels!

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 05:32 PM

Okay, well I downloaded the game "Knights Online" last weekend. I know you guys probably think it isn't very good but I mainly just got it so I could play a game with friends.

Anyways, it has a very long load time on my computer (my computer we got in 2001, I think, and its a Dell Windows XP with around 6 KB on the hard drive left) its not very new. And in the game once you've picked your character and whatever, it comes to a whole bunch of loading things. From effects, to terrain, and then finally character data.

This is where the problem lies. If for some reason the game is running at a really slow pace (which happens around 50% of the time) the game will pause on 26% loaded for about a minute and then finish that load but then the game will quit on itself before I get to load. But if the game is running faster for whatever reason, it won't stop on 26% and finish the load and I can play and everything is fine.

So here's my question: Would this be the game itself, the server I'm using (I'm not sure but it might be in turkey) or my computer, and do you guys have any ideas how to make it run faster (preferably without having to buy anything) so this won't happen?

This might be too obscure a problem for you guys to be able to really help me but I thought I would throw it out there.

#2 The Drizzle

The Drizzle

Who is the drizzle?

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 05:36 PM

Buy a new PC. If you cant do that, Format it. That should speed things up by clearing out all the junk on the drive. Do this especially if you havent since 2001.

#3 Splunk

Splunk

Guitar God

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 06:02 PM

Tell Conor to build u a comp :tup:

#4 dar_tana

dar_tana

Death to the Infidels!

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 07:22 PM

Is the only way to format my hard drive to wipe everything? Because if that's the case I can't do it. I'm not the only one who uses it. (Just mostly me) :evilgrin:

#5 The Drizzle

The Drizzle

Who is the drizzle?

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 11:56 PM

Yeah, but you can back up files you need beforehand and reinstall any programs afterwards. Its a relativley painless way to make your comp alot faster

#6 Frag0holic

Frag0holic

I AM DEATH INCARNATE

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 12:15 AM

Well... for one, clear some space on your drive, you really shouldn't be below 10% free space for optimization. After that, do a defragmentation (not with the built-in windows one! :wtf:).

And don't even waste your time with Knight Online, That game is SHIT.

#7 Justin Sane

Justin Sane

Old Man of the Sea

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 04:30 PM

Frag, what do you reccomended for a Defragger? I noticed that the Windows one is utter trash these days as well.

#8 Frag0holic

Frag0holic

I AM DEATH INCARNATE

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 08:07 PM

Frag, what do you reccomended for a Defragger? I noticed that the Windows one is utter trash these days as well.

PerfectDisk :tup:

#9 Sgt.Buttery

Sgt.Buttery

The Object of Frequent Lulz

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 11:09 PM

I've used PerfectDisk and O&O...

But really, just invest and buy a new computer lol.
(and i think he means 6gb left)
In tech years yours is 10 years old :P

EDIT: It is probably the game... Don't waste your time...BUY SOURCE
It may also be your drivers. Update them.

Edited by SgtBUTTERYMUFFIN, 20 December 2006 - 11:10 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users