• 546 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 03:37 AM

Stuff I got for my dad:

E6300: http://www.zipzoomfl...oductCode=80858
ASUS P5N-E SLI: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813131142
2x1GB OCZ DDR2-800: http://www.clubit.co...P=EMC-Dec212006
Antec Solo: http://www.zipzoomfl...ductCode=140124

Using his old HDD for now
Vid card is a 7300GT or something (cheapest dual-DVI I could find that was passively cooled)

I'm just happy I get to play with an E6300. I may get him a new CPU cooler just to OC it a little.. :D

#2 vvolfenstein

vvolfenstein

Journeyman

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 11:01 AM

Being straight up honest I really don't like the case. It could be much better if you want to spend loike max 50$. First of all, it's a minitower so If you plan on putting alot of things i9nto, you won't be able to I think. But since you are getting it for free I guess it's ok to start with. Good job getting the rest of the stuff that cost/performance ratio is amazing since well... it costed you nothing Lol. Honestly not a bad pc for free!

#3 Mandraque

Mandraque

Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 11:10 AM

i may be wrong but.....are you sure that mobo will fit in the mini tower?

#4 ShLoNkY

ShLoNkY

I <3 t3h Internets

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 11:16 AM

i may be wrong but.....are you sure that mobo will fit in the mini tower?

Its ATX so just about anythingll fit...

#5 medel

medel

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:27 PM

Everything should fit fine. It's not for me, it's supposed to be quiet (thus small case with big fans) and run work apps (mostly text editing + some video editing). Basically it's supposed to be a boring computer that can crunch numbers (he does a lot of video processing tech) and it should do fine with that. Only problem is I accidentally sent the CPU and case to my school addy instead of home, so they're in limbo while being rerouted..

#6 Raccoon00

Raccoon00

Lob

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,396 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 02:46 PM

Well if its for that then..i like it :tup:

#7 The Drizzle

The Drizzle

Who is the drizzle?

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 04:15 PM

Nice little setup. It should be pretty quiet, the intel stock coolers arent half bad, and that case is good. Fast, cool and quiet, cant ask for much more there.

#8 Sniprwulf

Sniprwulf

demolition expert

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 04:01 AM

yeah i like the setup. post some pics when u get into building it man. gl!

#9 onyx

onyx

Journeyman

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 10:56 AM

I like that case plenty. I'm so sick of ugly gaming cases - and the cool classy lookin ones are always way too much money

good case for the money there.

#10 medel

medel

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 11:52 AM

Well, I'm back at school, so pics won't be around for a LONG time if at all. :(

#11 vvolfenstein

vvolfenstein

Journeyman

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 11:58 AM

In my opinion I'm going to have to disagree with you Onyx. I don't like the case acctualy. I'm sure it'll do fine because well... I don't believe you do any LAN stuff (correct me if I'm wrong) where people will see your computer. Since your only crunching numbers and stuff with it then the case doesn't really matter. But meh I would still go with a super tower like the Armor from Thermaltake just because I like going fancy. Altogether a good build.

Heres the case I bought late last year. armor

Here's another beautiful case That I believe is going for under 100 in most websites.

edit by sniprwulf: i fixed the link in ur post so it goes to the right site.

Edited by Sniprwulf, 16 January 2007 - 03:57 PM.

#12 medel

medel

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 12:16 PM

In my opinion I'm going to have to disagree with you Onyx. I don't like the case acctualy. I'm sure it'll do fine because well... I don't believe you do any LAN stuff (correct me if I'm wrong) where people will see your computer. Since your only crunching numbers and stuff with it then the case doesn't really matter. But meh I would still go with a super tower like the Armor from Thermaltake just because I like going fancy. Altogether a good build.

Heres the case I bought late last year.Armor

Here's another beautiful case That I believe is going for under 100 in most websites.

My comp is in the original stacker. this is, once again, a work machine. Also I think "LAN" cases look gaudy and terrible. I did the whole light and windows thing and just got tired of it. Clean lines FTW

#13 onyx

onyx

Journeyman

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 02:01 PM

My comp is in the original stacker. this is, once again, a work machine. Also I think "LAN" cases look gaudy and terrible. I did the whole light and windows thing and just got tired of it. Clean lines FTW

+1 :tup:

So very sick of cheap lookin plexi-window cases. And for what, so ppl can show off the guts. I don't give a f*ck what the inside of anybody's machine looks like unless there is a naked midget inside.

I'll take a the thermaltake bach or mozart series over any of those 12 year old kid "look what i got" blinged out pieces of sh*t anyday

#14 Novahawk

Novahawk

Beast

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 03:10 PM

Actually.. its a case... case=box to hold your parts in.. it totally doesn't matter what it looks like.. if you like your case, then its all good.. but personally, i would rather have one with lights and a window, because otherwise you're paying like $200 for a black box... but really, its just a box to hold your crap, if you like it, then its all good...

#15 medel

medel

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 03:43 PM

case is an essential part of cooling. I picked the stacker so I could fit a large radiator in it. I think tha cases with windowsare generally flimsier and lights that are on the case are distracting (especially when trying to sleep). I don't want something completely ugly, I have enough ugly things on my desk (I'll get a pic later for the desktop thread)

#16 The Drizzle

The Drizzle

Who is the drizzle?

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 03:57 PM

My antec P160 does its job. Its a little cramped towards the top cuz of my rad, but hold everything just fine and looks nice. I agree wtih medel about the clean lines and simple but functional cases. I used to like those over the top crazy looking cases, similar to chris' new rig, but as Ive gotten older, a simple effective case is all I need. To each his own, but Most of the cases out there are really cheap and flimsy. I hate using them, I always cut myeslf on them and sometimes they will come cracked or broken. You get what you pay for when it comes to cases and power supplies. People always skimp on them, but thats the worst thing to do IMO. I dont mind a window in my case, I like to show off my hard work, and I have the whole watercooling setup that looks cool.

#17 monster

monster

You live on pen island

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 03:59 PM

My server is housed in a Aspire X-QPACK, which is ironic since the only cool thing in it show off is the SATA RAID 0, which really isn't that flashy.

Posted Image

Ironically, my gaming machine is housed in a Cooler Master Stacker, no window, but has a passively cooled X800 and a liquid cooling system to show off. lol

Posted Image

#18 Justin Sane

Justin Sane

Old Man of the Sea

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 12:11 PM

Am I the only person with a generic f*cking case here? I don't see the need for anything flashy with my case, in or out. Who am I showing it off to? My cats?

#19 vvolfenstein

vvolfenstein

Journeyman

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 01:35 PM

I guess theres never the real need for over-the-top crazy looking cases since you can fit everything you need in a normal looking case. But in my opinion I like to show off my work and the time I spent fixing up all the wires so it looks pretty. I love the side window because acctualy I just like looking at the blue LED's from all the different components I have in my beast.

#20 Mike2077

Mike2077

Dirty Rodent

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 02:22 PM

Look at this sexy wood case this guy made.

Pic1
Pic 2
Pic3
Pic4
Pic 5
Pic6
Pic 7
Pic8
Pic9
Pic10
Pic11

It's so f*ckin nice.