37 replies to this topic

#1 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 03:48 PM

Well, I started up my computer today, and a little after start up my screen started to look a bit odd. Colors off, shit getting pixelated and severely distorted. I've seen this before, I knew it was my graphics card.

I opened up my computer to see if anything was wrong. I start looking over my graphics card to look it over. I didn't see anything amiss, other then a lot of dust. So I grabbed my compressed air can and cleaned the dust off.

And that's when I heard it, a slight clank noise, like a screw being tossed around inside the computer. Only, against my luck, it wasn't screw. It was one of the capacitors off the graphics card. . . when I installed it over a year ago, I must have knocked it loose, and after moving it out of the way yesterday to hook up another computer to my monitor to fix it for a friend of my Mom's computer must have broken the shoddy connection the capacitor once had.

Seeing as my warranty is up on the card, I'm going to let my Dad give it a go at soldering it back on. So if that doesn't work out I may be out of any games for a month or two, till I make my next computer. As I'll be down to my laptop only. :tdown:

#2 The Drizzle

The Drizzle

Who is the drizzle?

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 03:56 PM

Grab that soldering iron and go to work :tup: If the cap is bad, you can buy new ones for cheap, I cant remember where tho.

#3 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 04:02 PM

I will be letting my Dad try to solder it back on. Seeing as he's had plenty of experience doing so. But there's always the chance the board could get damaged doing so. So, yeah, here's hoping it all works out later today.

#4 Novahawk

Novahawk

Beast

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 05:26 PM

Hope everything works out, and you don't have to wait

#5 monster

monster

You live on pen island

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 07:13 PM

Or you can buy my x800..... heh

#6 wyte mafia

wyte mafia

|Intelligent| |Design|

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 09:34 PM

prick lol /\ /\ /\

#7 dar_tana

dar_tana

Death to the Infidels!

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 10:21 PM

Ouch that absolutely sucks.
What you got on your laptop?

Btw, my favorite sentence:
"I start looking over my graphics card to look it over."

#8 Inertia

Inertia

Combine Zombie

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 10:23 PM

Well you said it doesnt get much worse..... Go Bears lol

#9 onyx

onyx

Journeyman

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 10:30 PM

I've soldered capacitors back onto cards a couple of times, and they both worked.

Both times i knocked them off because I'm a clumsy bastard

#10 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 10:59 PM

Well I officially give up on life. Nothing goes right for me anymore. Nothing. This weekend went from a minor annoyance, to fuck the world and drive 110 in a 40 home from watching the Super Bowl.

To update:

1) The graphics card. I got it soldered and fixed, I put it in and it breaks..... I find out because my motherboard is retarded the IDE (Yes, I use IDE for my drives. I was on a budget when I built this computer 1.5 years ago.) is just high enough that it breaks off that capacitor when the graphics card is inserted.

So basically there's no way of getting that card back into my computer.

Meaning I wont be gaming PC-wise for a few months.

2) 1 hour after my PC broke, before I left for a Super Bowl Party, the water pipes in the wall that lead to the upstairs kitchen freeze and burst open. Dumping 8 inches of water into our downstairs bathroom and laundry room.

We now have to tear out a wall of the bathroom (That we just finished remodeling and rewalling back in the Sumer.) and make another route of piping to the upstairs kitchen, so we don't have the potential from this to happen again.

As of now, we have absolutely no water in our house, say some ice in the freezer. And it doesn't look like we will till at least Tuesday.

To top it all off, after busting my ass to help clean up all the water, I go to a Super Bowl Party, after seeing that the Bears were winning. Only to get there to see them losing, and to then lose the game horribly.

Fuck life, fuck the world. I never get a fucking break. :33:

#11 The Drizzle

The Drizzle

Who is the drizzle?

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 11:10 PM

Was the card AGP? If it was a pci-e card, you can just buy your new video card now(assuming you have most of the funds) and use it with the old pc untill you get the rest of your parts.

#12 Silent Bob

Silent Bob

Combine Zombie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 11:14 PM

Hang tough, Zeke. You'll come out of this slump a stronger man.

#13 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 11:21 PM

Was the card AGP? If it was a pci-e card, you can just buy your new video card now(assuming you have most of the funds) and use it with the old pc untill you get the rest of your parts.

PCI-e, and no, that won't work. I have currently a 7800GT. If I get any of the cards I was loking at for my next computer, there's no way those things would fit in. My current card is half the size of most newer cards. Just wouldn't be possible.

Plus, I was waiting on my tax return to build my computer, which I wont be getting till mid March.

#14 ghozy

ghozy

The Gobblemonster

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 11:44 PM

wow thats a bad weekend. sorry to hear those man. I hope everything gets fixed soon.

#15 Stoned Hatter

Stoned Hatter

The Stoned one

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 10:05 AM

i hope things turn around for you soon man

#16 dar_tana

dar_tana

Death to the Infidels!

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 03:45 PM

Wow, and I thought I had it bad. What can you do on your laptop?

#17 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 06:33 PM

Wow, and I thought I had it bad. What can you do on your laptop?

Company of heroes. I've tried CS:S on it, it runs, but, even with a wired mouse, it doesn't have the power to process rapid mouse movements and CS:S. I'll move the mouse and about 1/2 a second later my aimer will move. Not very effective.

It means I'll only have the capibility to play EVE, CoH, Diablo 2, and Starcraft.

Basically I'll be playing EVE a bit more, but mostly renewing my long lost friendship with my consoles. . . While hoping my laptop can server as a gateway for my 360 to access xbox live. . . Seeing that's what my desktop did.

#18 Aziz

Aziz

Ё-Ж-И-К

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,253 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 07:05 PM

Very unfortunate, man. No one has it easy though... but, um, i was for the Colts :evil:

#19 Splunk

Splunk

Guitar God

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 07:14 PM

Coulda been worse, your computer could have blown up... :emo:

#20 SuHh

SuHh

BoSS Calculator

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 07:40 PM

thats just too bad man.. im feelin for u... at least ur alive in one piece eh? :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users