• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Communist

Communist

Red Lazarus

• PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:01 AM

Right, I know it's been out for a while now, but I see no thread on it, so here we go.

Great game, bottom line. The developers recognized that if we're playing a game with mechanized attack suits and enough weapons to invade a first-world country, we don't want some overly sappy storyline, we want to BLOW sh*t UP. And there is plenty of blowing sh*t up in this game.

Granted, there is a storyline, and a decently interesting one too (though I personally thought that the writing was so awful it gave me stomach cancer). The voice-acting was good, and the cinematics were stellar.

And of course, the blowing sh*t up. Most everything collapses- the road signs are so brittle from the cold that one shot will shatter them, water tanks collapse, leaving behind small boosts of energy, and when an Akrid is killed you see why you need your environment suit- it's so cold that they instantaneously freeze solid and shatter. The T-ENG system is innovative, and the Harmonizer device is a boon in big battles. Though the whole game is unbearably short- 11 medium-sized levels- the getting is good while it occurs, and until you've encountered the Worm, you haven't known what it's like to be utterly overmatched. The enemies all have weak points- learn where these are, as the game will be unbeatable otherwise.

The VS suits, while obviously based on the endless prior occurences of one-man piloted battle suits, add another breath of fresh air to the game, though they are NOT used enough. Swapping weapons is a nice touch- it lets you conform the VS's weapons setup to your preference, which can make an encounter a lot easier or a lot harder.

And the environments really drive through the point that this planet is not the one you're familiar with. It's also not Hoth. Solidly-frozen urban environments, gigantic cliffs, canyons that cut a gash across most of an area, and seemingly endless cliffs of ice are so well-rendered you may actually feel cold.

I don't know enough about multiplayer to appraise that, though. Can someone help me out here?

KGB Official Score: 8/10
Well executed, but FAR TOO SHORT!!!

Oh, and one more thing; Isenberg HACKS.

#2 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:14 AM

I agree, great game. Though, I myself have yet to play it on live.

Though what you said about VSs being under used. What game were you playing? After level 5 or so, you're almost constantly in one. Or at least given the chance to be in one. I will say though, all the bosses were amazing All of them quite fun. The worm though, man he was easy to kill once you figured him out. If he sticks his head out from the ground, don't shoot, then he will charge you. If the tail comes out, blast away at the weak points. Though, it really is pointless to kill him, 30 seconds after you do so, another one comes.

Oh, and I got this game right when I got my LCD TV back from repairs. So beautiful. I'll never be able to play console games on a standard resolution TV again.

Oh and Isenberg hacks < Wayne's Dad's VS when fully activated.

#3 Sgt. Bojo

Sgt. Bojo

Ant Lion Guard

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 11:15 AM

If there were a war in Nunavut...

#4 Frag0holic

Frag0holic

I AM DEATH INCARNATE

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 01:43 PM

you people and your console games :kill: ...

moved

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users