Photo

Nolan Ryan & matsuzaka

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 At The Gates

At The Gates

Rolling down the street like a retard in disguise.

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 09:19 PM

funny little comparison on the two pitchers and how they pitch.
Pitcher comparison

#2 wyte mafia

wyte mafia

|Intelligent| |Design|

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 11:16 PM

one of them is not a man

#3 At The Gates

At The Gates

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 09:21 AM

Nolan Ryan=Arm of god.
Daisuke though, I have watched a bunch of videos of his pitching, and his"gyroball" is like a curving slider that looks like it breaks...most people can only pitch it in the upper 70's or even very low 80's...he pitches it in the low 90's, so that will be an interesting pitch to watch against the MLB pros.
and he also has a sick fast ball that some were even clocked in the high 90's and I heard of a few games he pitched 99 mph....pretty impressive considering he usually plays 7 full innings, so that is some stamina... so I have read about him...but it is yet to be seen here in america.

Edited by At The Gates, 04 March 2007 - 09:23 AM.

#4 Justin Sane

Justin Sane

Old Man of the Sea

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 10:33 AM

Gooooooo Dice-K!

#5 At The Gates

At The Gates

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 11:18 AM

Dice-K and Tim Wakefield...those two should be a killer pair, Wakefields knuckle ball FTW

#6 Justin Sane

Justin Sane

Old Man of the Sea

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 05:59 PM

You say that like they pitch together though. It's not like you see them in the same game.

#7 At The Gates

At The Gates

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 07:23 PM

yeah, but what most teams do with the pitching is change it up, Dice-K will be a killer starter, and Wakefield is an amazing closer, when the batters are tired and used to taking the fast balls/curves, Wakefield f*cks everyone up with his knuckle ball and sliders.

#8 Constantine

Constantine

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 09:32 PM

He definately has a live arm. The "gyroball" thing is quite funny however. It's a 12-6 curveball coming from a dude under 6', that is why it looks so funny. Sometimes is looks more like a "slurve" when it does the down and out movement. Good mix of pitches. Live fastball, decent curveball/slider, and that thing that looks like a screwball is just a choked fastball/forkball. Basically just a faster change-up. It will be interesting to see if he makes it through a major league line-up. His best pitch is his fastball, which can be hit by almost all players in the majors, especially when delivered from shorter pitchers. Only time will tell and he will be fun to watch.

#9 Justin Sane

Justin Sane

Old Man of the Sea

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 07:31 AM

Wait, I thought the Gyro ball was a slider that instead of breaking out from righties and in on lefties, goes in to righties and out on lefties?

#10 Constantine

Constantine

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 09:24 PM

Call it what you want, but the original pitch was called a "screwball" and it totally ruins your arm and is very hard to throw. Several pitchers has circumvented the damage cause by this pitch by putting pressure on the index finger while throwing the fastball(aka cut-fastball) Maddox is the master at this. When you throw a curve or slider, your index and middle finger are on the outside or top of the ball on release, then follow through very hard. With a screwball, you start the fastball with these fingers on top of the ball, then on the follow though, those fingers dive on the inside(or on your body's side) and again follow through very hard. This gives the ball the action opposite of the curve or slider. Find some footage from "Goose Gossage" and watch him pitch. He had a hell of a screwball or "screwgie" The point being, this little ricer has not made a new pitch. To me, it still looks like a splitter with the screwball arm action. To make this pitch work, you need a 90mph fastball and a live arm like this guy.

Constantine Wiki

#11 Justin Sane

Justin Sane

Old Man of the Sea

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 09:41 PM

Are you sure? I thought I read on bostondirtdogs that the Gyro and Screw were different pitches. Let me see if I can find it.

#12 Raccoon00

Raccoon00

Lob

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 07:07 AM

RED SOX FTW!!!!!!!!

this is the year red sox will win the east!!!!!!!!!!

#13 Constantine

Constantine

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 07:23 AM

No, I'm not sure. I have no idea what a gyro ball is because it does not exist. It was named, I'm sure, by some stat whore who has never pitched in his life. I'm telling you, this guy brings nothing new to the baseball table. The sport has been around forever, and all types of pitches have been used. The only thing specieal about him is that he is short and can bring the cheese.

I'm guessing that what they are calling the gyroball is the pitch with a screwball action. He is "choking" the ball and throwing a screwball, which is why it dives a little bit more.

#14 At The Gates

At The Gates

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 10:34 AM

constantine I agree with you majorly about the gyroball, but he has a great arm, and sone good pitches, and he has great stamina, Boston needed a pitcher who can bring it anytime he's on the mound.and now we wait for josh beckett to shoe us his A game this season.

#15 Constantine

Constantine

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 08:37 PM

Hey, he did good against the marlins. Pitched 3 innings and did a respectable job. I will be watching him and I hope he does good. I'm for any pitchers getting the best of these plate hogging hitters. Gyro ball or not, hope he does well.

#16 Halcomb

Halcomb

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 11:13 PM

pffft. pay me 250 mil and i'll sh*t 100+ mile an hour fastballs.

Edited by Halcomb the Horrible, 01 April 2007 - 11:15 PM.

#17 At The Gates

At The Gates

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 06:12 PM

well just watched the game today, Bos vs KC...and damn Dice-K did pretty good for his first full start, some of his pitches seemed eratic, but I think it's mostly from being anxious...and he took it conservitave..I believe his highest fast ball was only 95mph..and I never knew it until today..but he has 2 different windups...he has his slow windup which was crazy, but he also has a quick wind up...I hope he starts to really get his footing on the major leagues here in the US...he will do great things.

#18 Raccoon00

Raccoon00

Lob

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,396 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 08:58 PM

Yeah he Pwnt KC..

cant wait until he picthes vs Yankees :muaha:

#19 XxsilverboyxX

XxsilverboyxX

Combine Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:09 PM

Dice-K is pretty good, but he's got a little bit to learn still in the majors. I don't think he can ever compare to nolan ryan though. as stated above he was a god. absolutely fantastic pitcher.

#20 Raccoon00

Raccoon00

Lob

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,396 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:21 PM

Yeah your Right..i can see him Being a Beast next year

Just like Beckett He started out an ok Pitcher his first year then This year hes a MONSTER..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users