#1 Sgt.Buttery

Sgt.Buttery

The Object of Frequent Lulz

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 06:01 PM

Gimme some advice guys.

I'm gonna be buying my own car soon, and I need suggestions.
I need something good on gas cause I drive about 60 miles a day, and it needs to be cheap.

By cheap, I mean "high school kid with a sh*tty job" cheap.

Under 5000.

any suggestions?

#2 Mandraque

Mandraque

Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 06:35 PM

my suggestion is, f*ck a fast car, just make sure it has air conditioning and no problems. I have a 99 saturn sl, cost 2k. gets really good millage.

#3 Novahawk

Novahawk

Beast

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 06:40 PM

You can get a 1974 camaro with custom faded paint for $5000.... or so i've heard :20:

But seriously.. I got a 98 volvo s70 glt turbo for 5k, and it gets good milage, and is just teh roxor.. just shop around, you'll find something.. try autotrader.com

#4 King_Dude

King_Dude

Chief Medical Officer

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 07:17 PM

Get a moped. :tup:
But seriously anything with good miles per gallon, and air conditioning.

#5 *CHILIDOG*

*CHILIDOG*

BoSS Fantasy Football 2010 Champ

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 08:38 PM

I get 15 miles to the gallon on this hog!
Posted Image

#6 Mandraque

Mandraque

Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 10:07 PM

another option is to just go for a classic, like an ol' caddy or something. not that expensive and it looks good as f*ck.

#7 DocSeuss

DocSeuss

Combine Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 10:21 PM

honda. honda civic, honda accord, honda whatever else they make.

do it

#8 SuHh

SuHh

BoSS Calculator

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 10:40 PM

i suggest either a honda or toyota with like 85k miles on it... shouldnt be TOO expensive and the japs always make great cars

#9 indica

indica

Combine Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 11:40 PM

i gots me a 1990 Toyota tercel with 95k miles on it. Bought it for 1k and put like $500 into it. Runs like a top and I can fill the tank up for $30 and drive 300 miles with that. Nothing fancy but performs its function of getting my ass around w/o much cost.

#10 SuHh

SuHh

BoSS Calculator

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 11:59 PM

i gots me a 1990 Toyota tercel with 95k miles on it. Bought it for 1k and put like $500 into it. Runs like a top and I can fill the tank up for $30 and drive 300 miles with that. Nothing fancy but performs its function of getting my ass around w/o much cost.

exactly my point

#11 DocSeuss

DocSeuss

Combine Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 12:02 AM

does it have a half eaten taco in the back?

#12 RogueAlly

RogueAlly

Lurker+

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 01:46 AM

You are american, therefor you should drive an american car. As you will be buying it used, foreign is okay... but don't make it a habit.

#13 J.Pizzack

J.Pizzack

Most Hated On

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 08:36 AM

does it have a half eaten taco in the back?

lol
+1

and dont buy a honda. Get a toyota (god i wish i did)

#14 Boostfed

Boostfed

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 11:33 AM

IN ALL SERIOUSNESS..

92-95 honda civic ex.. cheap reliable and tons of options if u decide you wanna go fast.
d16z6 is a great engine and gas isnt gettn cheaper

take it from an older tech.. honda / acura ive owned 7 hondas,2 fords and a chevy... notice i wont ever in life own another american car. just my luck and opinion.. im 31 and have been a tech for just about every company so what do i know?? lol

its proven if u buy american and buy used.. chances are it will fail. and u will spend more money fixing it then the price u bought it for.

civics are cheap as i said..parts are super cheap. but buy the civic ex or si only.. no dx,hx,hf etc. the d16z6 sohc v-tec is a great engine as i said. want more power?? buy a greddy turbo kit for around 1400 and boost it. u will be around 210whp and stomp all sorts of sh*t.

just my .2

Edited by Boostfed, 28 July 2007 - 11:36 AM.

#15 J.Pizzack

J.Pizzack

Most Hated On

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 12:07 PM

most american parts arent even made in america....hardly making them american....

not that you'll ever catch me in a ford taurus or chevy cavalier lol....P'sOS

dont encourage ricing or i'll pull out the Ricer Tickets! :tup:

#16 Halcomb

Halcomb

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 10:20 PM

lol. go to a police impound auction... so a family might have been brutally murdered in your new ride, you got that 2006 for under 5k. :grin:

#17 King_Dude

King_Dude

Chief Medical Officer

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 12:48 PM

lol. go to a police impound auction... so a family might have been brutally murdered in your new ride, you got that 2006 for under 5k. :grin:

lol. Good idea.

#18 RogueAlly

RogueAlly

Lurker+

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 01:23 PM

most american parts arent even made in america....hardly making them american....

not that you'll ever catch me in a ford taurus or chevy cavalier lol....P'sOS
dont encourage ricing or i'll pull out the Ricer Tickets! :tup:

Well lets say you buy a toyota or honda... all the profit goes to a foreign company. If you buy a Ford or Chevy then at least some of that money will stay state side. The point is to try to keep as much money in America as possible. I've owned nothing but American cars and so far all of mine (with the exception of an older undercover police car that I bought at an auction) have lasted. The only money I've had to put into them outside of the initial purchase and standard maintenance (oil changes and the like) being body work for fender benders.

How long your car lasts is often a measure of how you treat it and how well you keep up with maintenance. I can think of one specific example of an american car falling apart. It was a 90s Thunderbird. My friend ran that thing into the ground. Most of his oil changes were long overdue, he didn't even rotate his tired. When he finally sold it for scrap the thing was about the most pathetic excuse for transportation that I had seen. Anyhow, he just treated it poorly and it fell apart. My parents have each have American cars. My father a GMC Sierra and a Buick LeSabre. My mother an Oldsmobile Bravada. The Sierra is 8 years old and the Brava is 7. Not sure how old the LeSabre is. Out of all 3 the only time one of the has been in the shop has been for a recall on airbags. That it.

Thats just my opinion, but I trust American cars and if I happen to get hit by a plastic import someday... I'll be glad I did.

My cars: Pontiac Grand Am GT 2002
Pontiac Grand Prix SE 1994 (undercover - tranny died)
Pontiac Bonneville 2004 (current)

#19 DocSeuss

DocSeuss

Combine Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 01:40 PM

You say that you want the money you spend on vehicles to stay with American companies. Thats somewhat of a good point, but it can also be argued that you buy foreign cars so that the money helps American Employees. American companies will take their profits and pay employees or update infrastructure etc.... This generally means updating facilities on foreign soil. While Foreign profits will be spent on the same time (workers/environment) the only difference is that these workers/locations are largely based in America.

Devils advocate would say that buying American just helps the large corporation become richer while they help/spend money in foreign countries, not the country that they are based or are located.

So my question to you is: Would you rather support the company that says they are American while doing alot of their work on foreign soil, or the Foreign company that supports its locals close to the facility (employees) and reinvests profits into production?

#20 RogueAlly

RogueAlly

Lurker+

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 02:00 PM

You say that you want the money you spend on vehicles to stay with American companies. Thats somewhat of a good point, but it can also be argued that you buy foreign cars so that the money helps American Employees. American companies will take their profits and pay employees or update infrastructure etc.... This generally means updating facilities on foreign soil. While Foreign profits will be spent on the same time (workers/environment) the only difference is that these workers/locations are largely based in America.

Devils advocate would say that buying American just helps the large corporation become richer while they help/spend money in foreign countries, not the country that they are based or are located.

So my question to you is: Would you rather support the company that says they are American while doing alot of their work on foreign soil, or the Foreign company that supports its locals close to the facility (employees) and reinvests profits into production?

Well looking at the American economy historically, what has been good for American business is good for America as a whole. When our big companies were mass producing products (even when we opened branches overseas) our GDP and economy both went up. As it expanded foreign companies began to make inroads into the minor processes. Today, they dominate because they produced cheaper products than the American companies. Our big corporations failed to connect with the people and lost their markets. On the whole, our economy is in a recession because our major companies are beginning to fail. In order to help revitalize the economy I am of the opinion to revitalize the larger corporations. So I would rather support the American company, even if it does a lot of business overseas, rather than the foreign company.

The foreign company only reinvests here because they deem that good for business. They have the spare money to reinvest, which the American companies are lacking. This whole thing is the fault of the American company in the first place, but it will have long lasting consequences. America can't support an information technology economy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users