8 replies to this topic

#1 Jack

Jack

The Uncola

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 03:24 PM

After hearing all the hype about movies in 720p for months I finally "bought" some. The hype was right, the quality is insane. Now I'm a total HD wh*re. I remind myself of the guy in half baked except it's like "oh so you've seen Sin City, but have you ever seen Sin City in 720ppppppppp"

Edited by Jack, 10 September 2007 - 03:24 PM.

#2 Novahawk

Novahawk

Beast

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 03:26 PM

But Blu Ray and HD DVD are 1080p.....

#3 Jack

Jack

The Uncola

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 03:30 PM

Beats me dude, I'm getting stuff in 720p. The file size is around 4.5gb+

#4 Cleric

Cleric

Gun Kata

• Demigod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 03:39 PM

After hearing all the hype about movies in 720p for months I finally "bought" some. The hype was right, the quality is insane. Now I'm a total HD wh*re. I remind myself of the guy in half baked except it's like "oh so you've seen Sin City, but have you ever seen Sin City in 720ppppppppp"

I agree. You think, "well how much better could it actually be?" Get yourself an LCD HDTV, and HDMI cable, and a HD or Blu-ray player. It is a plus if you can use the LCD as your monitor.

#5 J.Pizzack

J.Pizzack

Most Hated On

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 03:52 PM

yea I'm with ya man...
I don't have the equiptment yet, but HiDef video is amazing. The best difference between them and standard dvd's is the color imo...its intense. Most people cant really tell the difference between 720p and 1080 resolution-wise(they just claim to), but everything is so in your face. Can't wait to get into this, and when one becomes more predominant than the other.

#6 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 04:55 PM

I agree the quality is nice. But I refuse to pay $30-40 for a movie. So any HD is purely "borrowed" to watch on my LCD monitor.

#7 Cyprus

Cyprus

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 05:18 PM

Once you go from SD to HD, you won't really notice the difference between 720p and 1080p. 720p will still look hella good. I haven't joined the HD revolution just yet, even though I own a blu-ray player (ps3), because in all honesty, I don't know which format is going to win. I might just buy the hd-dvd add-on with an xbox 360 if I get one.

I got a question, what if a dvd is upconverted to 1080p? Does it look any different from blu-ray/hd-dvd?

#8 Smalls

Smalls

Combine Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 06:12 PM

Once you go from SD to HD, you won't really notice the difference between 720p and 1080p. 720p will still look hella good. I haven't joined the HD revolution just yet, even though I own a blu-ray player (ps3), because in all honesty, I don't know which format is going to win. I might just buy the hd-dvd add-on with an xbox 360 if I get one.

I got a question, what if a dvd is upconverted to 1080p? Does it look any different from blu-ray/hd-dvd?

Most regular DVD's are only upconverted to 1080i max. The HD/Blu-ray will look substantially better. It's just the nature of the beast. As far as 1080p vs 720p on the HD sources, you won't notice THAT much of a difference if you have a 32" 1080p tv (there aren't many of those anyway), where 1080p shines is when you have a large screen > 46".

There is no doubt on your small 720p TV your picture will look fantastic, but it will look even better bigger and in 1080p. and YES you can tell the difference between the two, as long as you have the screen size to back it up.

#9 Jack

Jack

The Uncola

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 08:38 PM

The only "equipment" i'm using is VLC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users