23 replies to this topic

#1 Komit

Komit

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 03:37 PM

So I'm tired of my sh*tty stock sound in my car. I'm planning to buy a subwoofer and a pair of good door speakers to get all the ladies. Problem is I have no idea what kind of subwoofer I want. I don't know specs, I don't know names, I don't know sh*t. I want to spend about 100$. Any advice/suggestions?

#2 Jack

Jack

The Uncola

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 04:21 PM

I want to spend about 100$. Any advice/suggestions?

save your money. when i replaced everything in my truck it ran me about 1,100 for:

sony deck
Eclipse 12' woofer in a truck box
2 Memphis Audio 6x9's
2 Memphis Audio 5's
Memphis amp

#3 Komit

Komit

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 04:27 PM

save your money. when i replaced everything in my truck it ran me about 1,100 for:

sony deck
Eclipse 12' woofer in a truck box
2 Memphis Audio 6x9's
2 Memphis Audio 5's
Memphis amp

I was just talking about the woofer. I know that I'm going to end up spending an assload when it's all said and done.

#4 Yatzee_Squirrel

Yatzee_Squirrel

Kimber

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 07:32 PM

how much room are you working with here? you want 10s 12s or 15s? (i like 12s personally)

at $100 a sub sounds like you are gonna end up with 10s

i have a pair of jl audio w1 10s in my truck (pretty much because they are the only thing thin enough to fit behind the seat in a single cab truck) and they sound decent, nothing overpowering or anything with a sh*t amp and stock cd player and door speakers

in my old truck i had some sony xplode 5x6 door speakers that i got from walmart for like $40 and they got loud as hell and sounded decent

#5 Halcomb

Halcomb

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 08:40 PM

lulz.

listen to jack. 1 woofer, 1 amp and a box costs more than $100.

edit: hello math, i have forsaken thee.

Edited by Halcomb, 20 September 2007 - 09:51 PM.

#6 Komit

Komit

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 10:18 PM

lulz.

listen to jack. 1 woofer, 1 amp and a box costs more than $100.
edit: hello math, i have forsaken thee.

Eh I talked to this guy that has a custom box built for a camaro. Dude is going to sell it to me for 50$ because I'm good friends with someone who does all his truck work. Any idea what I'd be spending if I got 2 12's? The guy said it fits 2 of those and Ill need to run off a 500w amp. Can anyone run me the price of this off their head, I'm lazy and don't know what I'm doing =\

#7 Halcomb

Halcomb

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 10:41 PM

Eh I talked to this guy that has a custom box built for a camaro. Dude is going to sell it to me for 50$ because I'm good friends with someone who does all his truck work. Any idea what I'd be spending if I got 2 12's? The guy said it fits 2 of those and Ill need to run off a 500w amp. Can anyone run me the price of this off their head, I'm lazy and don't know what I'm doing =\

that's up to you. are you looking for new or used? your best bet is to find someone who's upgrading and buy their sh*t off them... if you've a limited budget.

#8 Florida_Funk

Florida_Funk

Americas Wang

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 11:00 PM

ebay, easy to find two good 12's for about $150 shipped. If your looking for only one I could hook you up with one for under $100 just tell me what size and if you need a box I can do/find that to.

#9 Halcomb

Halcomb

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 11:02 PM

lolz. teh speekr gawd speekz.

no seriously, listen to funk.

Edited by Halcomb, 20 September 2007 - 11:04 PM.

#10 $VT-c0brA

$VT-c0brA

drunken master

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 11:09 PM

got 2 12's and an amp for 300$...
Kickers and v 12 ne1 want it hola

#11 Halcomb

Halcomb

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 11:37 PM

got 2 12's and an amp for 300$...
Kickers and v 12 ne1 want it hola

lol... what size amp?

#12 korosys420

korosys420

Combine Elite

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 11:43 PM

just sold 2 rockford fosgates 10 in with box for 50. they are runnin 800 watts to the box sounds sick in the blazer s 10

#13 KaMaRo

KaMaRo

Lurker

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 12:36 AM

wow, ok. u guys got me on computers. but this is my area...... 2 Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics, ported box 2 1\4" slot front mount. anywhere from 4 - 2 - 0 gauge wires. MTX makes the best amps. there is nothing better on the market today, save it don't want to hear it... lol, i'm not even an MTX fan, but i'm sold on the amps. so anything class D. otherwise you'r wastin your money. i perfer MTX5601 mono block. waaaaay under rated. trust me i know. with car stereo u get what u pay for. if u only spend 100 on a sub the only person gonna hear it is your trunk.... the subs i mentioned retail at $400.00 a piece. the amp at about $800.00 - $900.00. save your money and knock people's fine china over when you drive down the road... oh and if you look hard enough u might find this exact same system because i had it stolen out of my car about a week ago, and i'm sure it's out there on ebay sumwhere. peace :tdown:

oh yeah sumbody mentioned 800W......... :tdown: again. lol, dude i was runnin 3000W constant. took 3 batteries in my car.

Edited by KaMaRo, 21 September 2007 - 12:39 AM.

#14 Halcomb

Halcomb

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 02:13 AM

oh yeah sumbody mentioned 800W......... :tdown: again. lol, dude i was runnin 3000W constant. took 3 batteries in my car.

apparently not in this thread. smoke less?

#15 Yatzee_Squirrel

Yatzee_Squirrel

Kimber

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 10:10 AM

they are runnin 800 watts to the box

^^ that is a good idea. maybe you should smoke less

#16 Florida_Funk

Florida_Funk

Americas Wang

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 12:19 PM

wow, ok. u guys got me on computers. but this is my area...... 2 Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics, ported box 2 1\4" slot front mount. anywhere from 4 - 2 - 0 gauge wires. MTX makes the best amps. there is nothing better on the market today, save it don't want to hear it... lol, i'm not even an MTX fan, but i'm sold on the amps. so anything class D. otherwise you'r wastin your money. i perfer MTX5601 mono block. waaaaay under rated. trust me i know. with car stereo u get what u pay for. if u only spend 100 on a sub the only person gonna hear it is your trunk.... the subs i mentioned retail at $400.00 a piece. the amp at about $800.00 - $900.00. save your money and knock people's fine china over when you drive down the road... oh and if you look hard enough u might find this exact same system because i had it stolen out of my car about a week ago, and i'm sure it's out there on ebay sumwhere. peace :tdown:

wow, so much bad info in there. Been doing car stero's since 1996 and mtx is a good brand but no where near the best. I have 4-dual voice coil 10" s, and 6 sets of mids and highs, two amps, and over 3500watts and you can hear my sh*t 5 blocks down the road inside your house when I have it on, and I only run 1 battery with a 180amp alt.. It all depends on how you wire it up and what your gonna be putting it in. I've seen $200 systems bang way harder than $3000 systems.

Edited by Florida_Funk, 21 September 2007 - 02:30 PM.

#17 Tim Terisu

Tim Terisu

Lurker

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 05:26 PM

I payed $50 for 2 12" and a $150 on a 750 RMS amp from kenwood(Not the best brand but works..) and my whole hood can hear it.. You could get 12" Kicker L5 for $150-$250 and this is just one kicker but it will sound great.. I had that before and it shook my rear view mirror off. There is alot you can do. You should not have to spend to much to have good audio. Also Try putting your subs different ways in your trunk. This can make a big different. Right now I have mine facing to the trunks. The kicker I had facing to the front of the car. I hope this helps a lil.

#18 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 06:24 PM

You want a high sensitivity, as you get more sound for the power you put into it.

Don't just go for biggest size. As bigger subs can produce lower frequencies. So if you like music with deep low bass (Like techno.) Then you need 12 or 15".

Make sure the cone of the speaker is anything but paper. Horrible quality sound and wont last long under use. (I know from other's experiences.)

Wattage is important, but don't ignore the ohms when buying an amp and sub together.

#19 ShLoNkY

ShLoNkY

I <3 t3h Internets

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 06:54 PM

I had 3JLW6s and a kicker zr1000 @ 156 DB in my taurus back in the day. :tup: Now I'm 3/4 deaf.....

Imo on the cheap go get yourself a descent set of poineer or something 6x9s and replace the door speaker with descent ones as we;.. Itll sound a million times better.

If you got $200 get the following:

2x kicker comp 10s MUST be 4 ohm models = $125 or so on ebay

1x OLD SCHOOL FTW KICKER ZR120 = $75 on ebay

have someone you know make you a box out of mdf and seal the shit out of it. imo ported boxes are used when you dont have enough power. That little kicker zr120 will push 350 watts RMS to those bitches at 2ohms bridged and will do the trick on the cheap. Not to mention it'll sound a million times better than cheapo subs and a cheapo high wattage amp. High wattage shitty amps = blown speakers period.

If you don't respect the old school kicker amps and REAL JLs then go home. :muaha: I havent followed the shit for a long time I know they have some crazy ass shit out nowadays. However I can say that about 7-8 years ago you couldnt touch my shit.

Not to mention that same setup nowadays would still deafin all a yalls. :weee:

#20 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 07:01 PM

Oh, and for the hell of it.

BABY DUCKS ON SUBWOOFER!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users