10 replies to this topic

#1 XxInColdBloodxX

XxInColdBloodxX

-The Foxez-

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 07:04 PM

Well like a month ago i reformatted my computer, got all the drivers installed and everything. Than i went to play Counter Strike the game froze. I coulden't get out, i coulden't Ctrl-alt-del or anything. So i restarted. Than i shook of the experience and ran it again, same thing. So i figured it was a Error on counter strike side, so i uninstaller-reinstalled it. Still same error. So i uninstall the graphic drivers. But when i start up my computer all i get is a blank login screen. So i did a system recover and i try again. Same thing. So i'm stating to get irritated. I figure the only way to fix it is to reformat. So i did that and the problem still persisted. So this time I'm like "Ok lets try a different game" So i looked through my games folder on my external and i came across WoW, i figured its a pretty low end game to run so why not try. Well heres a screenshot of what i get.
Posted Image

I have a Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT and i have no idea whats going on i've heard Driver problems and possibly overheating.
Gimme the bad news guys.

#2 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 07:27 PM

Bad News: The problem you have pictured are called "artifacts" which only occur when...

A) You have a huge driver error. Seeing as you reinstalled and reformatted it, I doubt that's it. Which sucks.

B) Your card is dirty and overheating, which you may fix by cleaning it. If it's too late the heat build up may have already ruined your graphics card.

C) The graphic card memory has died, in which you still need to replace the card.

Basically take out your graphics card clean it, along with your computer and all vents and fans. If that doesn't fix it, start looking for a new graphics card.

#3 -=Penguin=-

-=Penguin=-

Jedi Mind Tricks

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 07:45 PM

^^^^^^^
what he said

#4 Smalls

Smalls

Combine Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 08:13 PM

I had a 6800 that died on me too...

I think they just suck :-/

#5 King_Dude

King_Dude

Chief Medical Officer

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 08:23 PM

I have had a 6800 for over a year and it still runs fine.

#6 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 03:21 AM

I had a 6800 that died on me too...

I think they just suck :-/

Need to remember, when something is mass produced there is bound to be defects.

Make sure the cooling fan is in good operation. And if you have some way of monitoring the temps of it, download the nvidia tool for that. If the cooling fan has ceased to function you can pick up a decent one for about 30$ and is fairly easy to install.

If the GPU memory has failed, it will in all likelihood not display anything.

#7 The Drizzle

The Drizzle

Who is the drizzle?

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 07:18 PM

get a new one ASAP. Hopefully its still under warranty. My 7900GT is artifacting, but its not that severe and can be put under some control with air conditioning and a huge fan on the side of my comp. Its out of warranty too cuz I bought it used. I'm looking into the new 8800GT when they come out in a month or so.

#8 XxInColdBloodxX

XxInColdBloodxX

-The Foxez-

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 12:11 PM

Is it possible that this could be the computers problem and not the videocard?
I had my computer on its side when i put the video card back (from cleaning it) ad=nd when i started WoW i saw the letters on the buttons i didn't normally see when i started it.

#9 eRoC

eRoC

BoSS VIP

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 02:20 AM

it sounds like an over heating problem. Ive seen fried videocards before and typically what you see is crazy artifacts or vertical lines on the screen, and not just in gaming but as soon as the windows screen comes up. Random shutdowns usually occur from a heat issue. case in point: recently I tried to install an aftermarket northbridge chipset cooler. Turned my machine back on and boom- just as you described. I was all WTF? And, only after serious examination, and trying a bunch of things like you did, i noticed the chipset heatsink was rasied just a little, and overheated and shut 'er down.

so check the chipset, cpu heatsink and fan, and clean everything off. Maybe the chipset cooler got bumped out of place when you took out the videocard and cleaned it. If it was me I would take the videocard apart- take off the cooling apparatus, clean it and the gpu die w/90% alchohol, put a small dab of arctic silver or a similar product on, and re attach. If it was me I would also ditch the stock cooling and get a zalman one from newwegg.

also maybe add some case fans. But for sure, download a program called Everest Ultimate, it will show you all your temps. Monitor them and see where the problem is coming from. If all the temps are ok, then the next step is up to you. Id get a new videocard for xmas, the 6800 was good when it came out but you deserve better.

#10 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 06:18 AM

Is it possible that this could be the computers problem and not the videocard?
I had my computer on its side when i put the video card back (from cleaning it) ad=nd when i started WoW i saw the letters on the buttons i didn't normally see when i started it.

99% sure it's the video card bud. Can't think of anything else that would cause graphical issues other then a graphics card.

If it was the ram you'd be experiencing random restarts, and the cpu would just be catastrophic failure.

#11 The Drizzle

The Drizzle

Who is the drizzle?

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 04:32 PM

Well, If you were cleaning it, maybe you got some dust on the contacts or inside the slot. Take it out again, and use some canned air in the slot and make sure nothing is on the contacts. I doubt thats the problem though. Did you take off the heatsink to clean it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users