• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 vvolfenstein

vvolfenstein

Journeyman

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 08:03 PM

Ok I believe I've posted something about this before but still ATI nor has anyone been able to understand the problem so let's try again.

I went away for the summer and left my computer here. Nobody used it and when I came back everything worked fine with it. I installed World of Warcraft (Yeah I know wtv) and it ran fine. No problems and I have everything set on super high so it's quite demanding on my single graphics card. I run a X1950 XTX from ATI and it ran WOW pretty easily. Now I installed Unreal Tournament 3 because everyone was trying out the demo and it sounded awesome. I play for about 5 minutes and than my screen hangs up I lose the signal to my screen and in a couple seconds I can hear my pc crash and then it restarts.

First of all I was like ummm WTF?! I've never had this problem before and I was a little confused. I check my Catalyst Control and I have the newest drivers. I've checked my bios revision and I have the one I need My graphics card is not overheating because when it hangs up I opened my case and touched the back of the card and it wasn't hot at all. Just barely warm. My CPU is not overheating either because the fins are practically cold.

I've sent numerous e-mails to ATI about it but all they send back is the generic troubleshooting help desk bullsh*t e-mail which doesn't help me at all. I've gone to a couple stores to ask computers maintenance guys if they know what causes these symptomes and they can only think of it as either an insufficient power supply or my graphics card is overheating and restarting my PC.

I know it's not overheating and I doubt that I don't have enough power. I'm running a 750 watt ToughPower PSU from thermaltake so it isn't a sh*t low-end noname company. Despite everything here I still don't understand the problem.

It happens sometimes in 5 minutes and others I can play for a few hours before it hangs up. Not only that but I can play World of Warcraft at full settings but not Unreal Tournament and I can play Eve Online and Counter-strike but not Rappelz (great game). Rappelz is a free downloaded online game and has REALLY low requirements... I mean they recommend 128 MB 3D accelerator as a VPU.

Can someone PLEASE help me it's starting to drive me f*cking crazy. This goddamn problem must be fixed! :>.<:

#2 Jack

Jack

The Uncola

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 09:13 PM

The only time that i've lost screen signal was when I set the resolution higher than what the monitor could support.

#3 vvolfenstein

vvolfenstein

Journeyman

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 09:43 PM

Ok well I can assure you I have not done that. My res is at 1280 X 1024 which is exactly what my monitor supports.

Edited by vvolfenstein, 02 November 2007 - 09:43 PM.

#4 Jack

Jack

The Uncola

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 09:54 PM

try running it at a lower res to see if that helps.

#5 vvolfenstein

vvolfenstein

Journeyman

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 09:56 PM

I'll try but running at the speed my monitor should ran AT has no validation for why it's restarting.

#6 Jack

Jack

The Uncola

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 09:57 PM

couldn't tell ya. personally, i think your video card is about to take a sh*t.

#7 vvolfenstein

vvolfenstein

Journeyman

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 10:00 PM

That was f*cking suck I've only had it for less then a year and have Never overclocked it.

EDIT I've brought down the res to 1024 X 728 (or wtv it is) and it hasn't shut down.

Is this a big problem if my X1950 XTX The best single core gpu before DX10 can't run a free online game at 1280 X 1024? wtf is this.

Edited by vvolfenstein, 02 November 2007 - 10:24 PM.

#8 Jack

Jack

The Uncola

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 10:54 PM

don't know. I currently have the first ATI card I've owned (2900XT). I haven't had any problems out of it.

#9 Cyprus

Cyprus

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 11:01 PM

Have you monitored the temperature while playing a game? This might sound crazy, but check that your Vga or Dvil cable is firmly attached to both the monitor and the video card.

#10 vvolfenstein

vvolfenstein

Journeyman

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 11:07 PM

lol Cyprus I'm quite meticulous and believe me that's the first thing I checked. The card is nicely seated in the Mother Board the DVI cables are perfectly screwed in and the card never goes over 65 even under load cause I have ATI tool.

#11 Jack

Jack

The Uncola

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 11:24 PM

while were on the topic of monitors, i got a new 24" samsung this week. for the record. eve at 1920 x 1200 is pretty f*cking sweet.

#12 Cyprus

Cyprus

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 11:36 PM

lol Cyprus I'm quite meticulous and believe me that's the first thing I checked. The card is nicely seated in the Mother Board the DVI cables are perfectly screwed in and the card never goes over 65 even under load cause I have ATI tool.

Lol, you never know? If that's the case, how old is the monitor? I rarely hear stories of monitors going bad.

#13 Novahawk

Novahawk

Beast

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 06:36 AM

We get signal?

Have you tried Main Screen Turn On?

#14 At The Gates

At The Gates

Rolling down the street like a retard in disguise.

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 11:49 AM

I dunno man..Im running a 1950xtx myself, and I can run the demo maxed without any problems(and yes I know the demo is not maxed like the actual game), it cruises at about 60-70 fps without vsync on, and I know my card is being held back by my CPU...but I havent had any problems like that...maybe your ram? or PSU....I had a moniter sh*t the bed on me alittle over a month ago, the power connector inside the moniter fried and now if I try to plug it in, it clicks on, then shimmers and shuts off within a second....
oh..and WoW isnt really demanding to be honest, I used to run it almost maxed on my 256mb x700pro.
maybe UT3 is just pushing your video card harder then your PSU can take..just a though.

#15 The Drizzle

The Drizzle

Who is the drizzle?

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 05:09 PM

Do you have another output on the video card? Do you have another monitor? throw that on there for a bit and test it out. Find another cable around and try that too.

#16 vvolfenstein

vvolfenstein

Journeyman

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 07:08 PM

ok well thanks for the help guys. So far all my games that used to shut off don't stop at 1024 X 728. My monitor is a little less then 7 months old and its a viewsonic
I've tried with a vga cable and it still did the same thing my ram is 2 gigs of OCZ pc6400 titanium so I doubt it's those.
And drizzle yes I have tried switching the ends of the cable and tried with both outputs of my video card. Unfortunately I don't have a second cable. I still might think it is the cable dying because I haven't done anything to jeopardize my components. Never overclocked it and the PSU I don't think is the problem Toughpower

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users