10 replies to this topic

#1 SuHh

SuHh

BoSS Calculator

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 09:56 PM

so i've got an old graphics card.... as u can see in the title...

im sick of running CS:S and only getting around 25 fps average and 30fps on a good day

do you guys recommend overclocking so it runs like a 9700? or is it too risky... and if so... wuts the best method to do it?

#2 The Punisher

The Punisher

Who Knows?

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 10:44 PM

hmm i have a radeon 9600

#3 DisTurBeD

DisTurBeD

Combine Soldier

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 10:51 PM

i have a 9600 too! omg! lol

#4 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:50 PM

Buy a better card. Seriously, even if you have an AGP motherboard, you can still get a damn good, damned cheap graphics card for it.

You can get the AGP version of the 512mb ATI HD 2600XT for around $150.

Christmas is almost here. Just save some cash and drop like $80 into a semi decent card that will play CS:S just fine. Hell, I even got better FPS on my old DELL with a ATI 9700PRO, 768mb RAM and a 2.4gh Processor. I'd average about 60-80 FPS on medium setting on office.

#5 Frag0holic

Frag0holic

I AM DEATH INCARNATE

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 12:03 AM

I used to have a Radeon 9800 Pro, which I got like 3 years ago. It ran CS:S at about 50 fps in normal situations... The human eye can't really see beyond like 30 fps anyway, so if you're strapped for cash, I'd say clock it a bit, or just turn some settings down.

#6 korosys420

korosys420

Combine Elite

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 01:31 AM

i got a radion x1950 gt it is agp but it does good. cost me 156 about 2 months or so ago. i over clock it with rivatuner.works well it lets me adjust the fans too.

#7 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 01:51 AM

so i've got an old graphics card.... as u can see in the title...

im sick of running CS:S and only getting around 25 fps average and 30fps on a good day

do you guys recommend overclocking so it runs like a 9700? or is it too risky... and if so... wuts the best method to do it?

Suhhz, let me scrounge my parts bins, I know I have a 9800XT lying around somewhere. Just pay me the shipping for it and it's yours........... That's if I can find it among the labyrinth of computer towers, monitors, boxes, and other things I have accumulated over the years.

#8 SuHh

SuHh

BoSS Calculator

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 12:20 PM

Suhhz, let me scrounge my parts bins, I know I have a 9800XT lying around somewhere. Just pay me the shipping for it and it's yours........... That's if I can find it among the labyrinth of computer towers, monitors, boxes, and other things I have accumulated over the years.

sounds good thanks a lot bro

#9 SuHh

SuHh

BoSS Calculator

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 12:22 PM

quick question... do any of u normally overclock at all? or is it just way too risky?

#10 korosys420

korosys420

Combine Elite

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 01:13 PM

my computer an vid card are overclock from the time it turns on to the time i turn it off. at first adjust it slowly till you find when it isnt so stable then turn it down a little. can always go to an oc'ing forums to find what others have theres set to.

#11 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 01:42 PM

my computer an vid card are overclock from the time it turns on to the time i turn it off. at first adjust it slowly till you find when it isnt so stable then turn it down a little. can always go to an oc'ing forums to find what others have theres set to.

But need to remember, only overclock if you can afford to replace the parts you are overclocking. It's not a wise move to overclock your videocard then it goes kaput, then you dont have enough money to buy a new videocard. Very awkward, yes, there are gains from overclocking, but only do it if you can afford to lose things :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users