4 replies to this topic

#1 EVIL Shenanigans

EVIL Shenanigans

Basement Caucasian

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 07:44 PM

Alright, now i probably know more about computer hardware than SuHh, but thats not sayin much, so i'd really appreciate some advice/suggestions with X-mas around the corner. Since I can still play CS:S fine, but i bottom out when tryin to run World in Conflict and with all the new (high yeild) games of the future (Assasins Creed), im lookin towards an upgrade. Current specs:

Vid Card: ------ Nvidia 6800 GT
Processor: ----- AMD Athlon 64 3800+ 2.4 GHz
Motherboard: -- Micro-star International, 200 MHz Bus
RAM: ----------- 2 GB
Pwr. Supply: --- 500 W

Money is somewhat a problem (i.e., i cant buy the best available), so as far as finding a median between cash given and performance gained, the Nvidia 8600 GTS looks pretty tight, but im curious if the improvement will be worth the cash. I've also never had the problem of not havin enough RAM, but i'll add another stick if need be. The power supply is a beast so i figure it should handle just about any modifications i'd make. And lastly, the motherboard and processor, i know very little about, but i do like the idea of a dual core motherboard. Thanks in advance for any help in all this...

TigerDirect.com seems to have some good deals from time to time, and just by browsing, i found the XFX GeForce 680i LT SLI motherboard bundled with a Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz processor for $320...once again, i dont know jack, and it seems a lil expensive (plus, im not plannin on usin the SLI capability), but figured i'd throw that out there as a possible purchase.

#2 monster

monster

You live on pen island

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 08:02 PM

Without any dollar parameters I don't know what you want from us.

The best bang for your buck card out there now is the 8800 GT, will only cost you about $275 - $300 and is almost as good as an 8800 gts.

Other than that, maybe a new proc, which will require a new mobo, which will probably require new ram.

#3 ShLoNkY

ShLoNkY

I <3 t3h Internets

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 08:18 PM

You can probably squeeze 300 mhz out of your current cpu easily with a good heatsink and get yourself a 8800gts for cheap.

If you wanna get more performance youll need a new mobo, ram and cpu.

I think you can find 2gb ddrII mem for pretty cheap nowadays and get yourself the fastest C2D that you can afford with a descent mobo.

IMO I'd get a 8800gts and OC your current rig a bit and see if the performance is like. Either way you'd probably end up with a 8800 gts anyways, so give her a try first.

I'm running an fx55 @ 2.9 ghz and an overclocked 1800xt and get pretty good framerate on just about everything.

With that 8800gts and a bit less CPU horsepower, you'd still probably have me beat by a good amount.

But like monster said, you are either looking at a $300 upgrade or a $700 upgrade

Then again, he is a silly kanadian so what does he know??

#4 EVIL Shenanigans

EVIL Shenanigans

Basement Caucasian

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 09:04 PM

Without any dollar parameters I don't know what you want from us.

Thats harder than you think for me to figure. Like i said, christmas is coming...so between a list to send off to the rents and a questionable amount of cash to be available, i'd guess i'll have around $500 worth of stuff. And I suppose i can upgrade 1 by 1 as time goes on...or just wait a while and actually save up some money...but i dunno. 8800 GTS is mighty tempting...

#5 wondergod

wondergod

i'm colored

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 10:44 PM

ya I would look at the 8800gt or gts. Get that and see if it does what you need. As for your RAM 2 gigs is plenty of ram. If the video card isn't enough performance for you you'll prolly want to get a mobo, cpu and ram.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users