38 replies to this topic

#21 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 01:09 PM

Ya know thats just it scroll, its always OMG the next card, save your monies, lets wait for nvidia to release something that shoulda come out last year... The two 5870 play everything under the sun and the some. I waited a year to build me a pc after being deployed and i considered the 5970 but ive always perfered the dual cards over a dual gpu card. Mabey in the future ill go with a dual gpu but for now im damn happy. I gota say though ATi has impressed me with these new 5000' series cards, the power managment is great and so are the temps reguardless of what ya got. The funny thing is my mobo doesnt even have regular pci slots, all of um are pci-e slots and one mini pci slot for a sound card. I think it was mad hatter with the 5850's? Id say those are the best bang for the buck but thats not what i had in mind when I built mine :P

#22 Stubs

Stubs

0v3rcl0ck yu0r BR3AKFA5t!11!

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 03:02 PM

I read that whole article in kuwait when it came out and yes while the 5970 is almost identicle to dual 5870's you are forgetting power consumption and especially temperatures. Yeh its like $100 less than two 5870's but id perfer having two cards with two heatsinks cooling instead of a massive 13 inch card or whatever with one heat sink cooling it. Dont think there is any difference in power but when im playing games that dont require dual gpu setups (ie WoW) it has the 2nd card in low power mode, im pretty sure that the 5970 does the same with its dual gpus but i dont know. I still have two heatsinks cooling were ya only got one with the 5970. I dont think its a huge waste to get two 5870's over a 5970. I bought this hardware for this monster case for a reason, basically, its what i wanted, but also for future possibilities I could get like 3 more screens if i wanted to for eye infinity or some crap... The nice thing is that I wont have to worry about building another pc for a looong time. If im not mistaken isnt the 5970 designed for mid sized cases that have issues with dual gpus? Not for sure... Anyway im dong with this pc and i aint touchin a damn thing till its 5 years older :P

Posted Image
To address your worries on power consumption, did you forget that a 5970 uses less power than a 5870 xFire setup? Or that 2x 5870 can run on a Corsair HX750w? (you have the HX1000w)

And if you wanted to be future-proof like you say, the $400 would have been better spent on an i7 920 and a better mobo with the LGA 1366 socket.

Oh, and if you were concerned about temperatures, how about having spent that $400 on custom water cooling for your sh*t instead of a sh*tty h50?

At least this hasn't turned into an Intel vs AMD or nVidia vs ATI thread yet.

Edited by EoE.Stubs, 19 February 2010 - 05:19 PM.

#23 EVIL Shenanigans

EVIL Shenanigans

Basement Caucasian

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:11 PM

bumble...they know more than you...just let it be.

At least this hasn't turned into an Intel vs AMD or nVidia vs ATI thread yet.

Fairly certain that most of BoSS knows that ATI us superior...at least this moment in time.

Edited by EVIL Shenanigans, 19 February 2010 - 05:05 PM.

#24 Chilly

Chilly

Journeyman

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:09 PM

Very nice =D

#25 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:52 PM

Not to be a dick but to say the H50 is sh*t just becuase you think it is... is retarded, and biased. Do you own one? Have you tested it? It was $70.. Hell on 3.8 ghz this cpu is at 25 C idle and max ive seen it go is 48 (prime 95 all cores on max). Granted I didnt use the standard fan that came with the h50 and a set of custom fans for a push pull setup. And the reason I went with the P55 instead of the X58 is power efficency and the fact that there is litteraly no difference when playing games from the 860 to 920. I do like the fact that my p55 classified has a section of the board that reads out the power usage and other nice things the x58 didnt have. As far as future proofing, there is no such thing. All tech is enevitably a goner, however this build will last me some time before I even need to consider "upgrading". Im sure there are alot of yas still using the good ol Q6600 which im not mistaken is still a hell of a cpu. Most games dont use more than 2 cores as it is so upgrading the cpu is retarded, I think you should upgrade the motherboard when you upgrade the cpu, but thats just me. As far as the HX1000 I wanted a good modular psu that had plenty of juice. I looked at the 750 and 850 versions and acutually ordered the HX850 but newegg screwed me over.. With the cpu and the gpus overclocked youd be pushing the 750 to its limits Id say and it would probably crap out on you at some point. Im probably wrong but I wanted an uber psu, the last one I got was sh*t and fried my mobo. To end my WALL of text id like to say that in the end I put a lot of effort into building this carefully and the airflow and audible noise coming from this desktop is awesome. Those 5870's simply destroy everything ive ever played on high resolutions and I got the option for a crap load of screens too. Please any other constructive critisim is welcomed, I love people flaming me for buying not one.. but god forbid TWO 5870's... and mah H50... :P

#26 Stubs

Stubs

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:16 PM

I don't mean to flame or whatever, its just the truth.

#27 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:18 PM

I defy the truth!! BWHAHAAHHAH!

H50 ftw... seriously its uber easy to install and it works like a charm.

#28 vet.mad hatter

vet.mad hatter

the real hatter

• Server Admin+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 01:30 PM

Attached File  vantage2192010.jpg   146.09KB   9 downloads

Just thought i would share...that is the highest i can push!!!! I am not about wasting money but, if i had it i would buy to 2x5890's six of the best monitors and call it a day. Also great set-up...but if spent what you did i know i could of done better. Your computer will not need anything for at least 2-3 years, more storage thats it maybe. Also i have been overclocking and tinkering with computers for 7 years.. using them for about 10-12. If i get another 5850 for someone ill test it, in some crossfire action and show you 28-30k and smoke those 5870's. That would be the only reason for me to have two cards testing...because this one 5850@900/1250 gaming everything is beautiful and smooth!!!! Also i know you can push that thing harder.

#29 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 01:43 PM

Ya, i know the 5850's can oc better than the 5870's right now, do you use overdrive to oc the gpus or something else? Im just a nubz when it comes to overclocking.... :P

#30 vet.mad hatter

vet.mad hatter

the real hatter

• Server Admin+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 02:27 PM

Ya, i know the 5850's can oc better than the 5870's right now, do you use overdrive to oc the gpus or something else? Im just a nubz when it comes to overclocking.... :P

I use msi after burner for volts and fan control and then amd gpu tool to increase the clocks past the overdrive settings. In the screen shot i showed my clocks at 1030/1300 overdrive only goes to 775/1125.

#31 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 09:34 AM

Hmm overdrive for me goes to 900/1300..

#32 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 09:37 AM

I was going to attempt to read bumble's paragraph rant of death, but I barely got to the second line and realized I had about 40 more lines to go before I finished it and said screw it :P

#33 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 11:01 AM

Hahahhahah :P

#34 Stubs

Stubs

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 12:02 PM

No matter what i use, i can't get core over 900 or memory over 1300. If i set core to andyhing over 900 in MSI Afterburner, it will set it down to 900. I can change the voltages (i think) in MSI afterburner.

If i use ATI Gpu Clock Tool and set it to even 901 my system instantly crashes. I think its a gay bios restriction but w/e, i can't OC anyway on a dual monitor setup.

If i really cared i could put the MSI Bios on it but...I don't.

Edited by EoE.Stubs, 21 February 2010 - 12:05 PM.

#35 vet.mad hatter

vet.mad hatter

the real hatter

• Server Admin+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 12:37 PM

No matter what i use, i can't get core over 900 or memory over 1300. If i set core to andyhing over 900 in MSI Afterburner, it will set it down to 900. I can change the voltages (i think) in MSI afterburner.

If i use ATI Gpu Clock Tool and set it to even 901 my system instantly crashes. I think its a gay bios restriction but w/e, i can't OC anyway on a dual monitor setup.

If i really cared i could put the MSI Bios on it but...I don't.

This is why the 5850 is the better card!!!!! :( I game with mine at 850/1250 with lag....so i know that you and bumblebee and happy campers also!! Honestly whoever buys this series 58xx they will be happy no matter what their last card was! Also in a few weeks i am ordering a 5850 for a friend and i will show everyone what crossfired 5850's. I say 28-32,000 in vantage!!!!:weee: If bumblebee gets close to that ill give him a cheeseburger!!!!

#36 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 05:58 AM

Thats just it though, ive noticed that the score on vantage is almost just an average of the two scores, so you could get a 30k in gpu but 20 in cpu and have a mediocer score, its not exactly the average but close. So basically ur scores on the gpu and cpu both need to be high to get a high score. All i know is this I 860 can oc to 4 ghz no problem without annny tweaking at all. Once I figure out oc'ing more Ill be able to see how far I can go with the cpu. Hey hatter, I know how to set the bclk and the multiplyer but as far as cpu vcore and that stuff what whould you reccomend? Im not that familure with overclocking and my P55 Classsified has an auto setting but it only works to about 3.9 ghz. I got some information here..

i7 860 OC

#37 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 06:05 AM

you probably need to boost your voltage a bit, but aside from that don't expect much as your processor is a bit of a bottleneck in benchmarks, especially synthetic ones where the triple channel memory comes into play.

#38 vet.mad hatter

vet.mad hatter

the real hatter

• Server Admin+
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 06:05 PM

I stay away from auto overclocking..tried it once with this set up. When i overclock i know that my cpu can clock up to 4.1 with 1.3 cpu volts by trial and error. Each is different so it is a process you must also do. If i leave the voltages on auto and up my blk to 190 the auto voltage sets my vcore to 1.58 and my ram to like 1.8 that would fry it for sure!!! So be aware if you can not figure it all out each voltage and their tolerances then i wouldn't mess with it. Overclocking is for people that want the most of their computers and are not scared to learn what they doing. There should not be a auto-overclock because it can be dangerous.. i have never burnt anything out but i have also have done hours of reading before i mess with any new hardware. I honestly believe that the 5850 and the 5870 are the same card...i know that are close but what i mean they made the 5870 for people that dont wanna tweak this and that...but the 5850 on the other had if you tweak this and that you can get faster than most 5870's. I belong to a couple hardware forms and the 5850's are the cards to get if you a tweaker!!!! So read up and love the performance you have because there isn't too much better!!!!

#39 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:34 AM

My 860 is at about 1.3 also on the auto feature but then again I got that p55 classified from evga and as far as im concerened they got top notch motherboards. I also use teh el33t tool that evga has, shows everything about your motherboard and cpu. Im gonna keep seeing what i can do with this mobo/cpu and hopefully i learn some more advanced oc methods. For now though 3.8 ghz is pleeenty :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users